Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Data Tool Alarm Killing Battery

• 26-01-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a seemingly over sensitive Data Tool alarm attached to a 2007 V-Strom.

As well as being sensitive it has a flashing led showing its armed. I'm concerned that this may be running down the battery as I've been caught out a couple of times trying to start it at home with a dead battery.

However today it started at home but wouldn't start again after stopping at the shops.

I understand what happened today I'm just concerned that if the battery is in need of replacement once I replace it is the alarm just going to run it down too?

Is this a known problem with the Data Tool alarms?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your battery is probably just knackered and unable to hold a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

led power draw is miniscule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I had a VFR and found the Data Tool alarm to do the same. Took it out and had no further issues

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I have had this exact issue, the bike wouldn't start on me on several occasions. I removed the alarm and have not had the issue since and I'm still using the same battery

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Is it difficult to remove? Is it sellable afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you could put a little trickle charger on it - should always be ready to go then

this kinda yoke :

http://www.accumate.co.uk/cg020001.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Datatool is supposed to go into sleep mode when the battery gets low (LED blinks only once every few seconds instead of once a second.)
    The LED uses almost nothing, it's the radio receiver that uses power. In sleep mode it doesn't 'listen' continuously so you have to hold the disarm button down until it wakes up.

With a decent battery that's well charged up when parked, the alarm doesn't go into sleep mode even after two weeks. When the previous battery was on its last legs, the battery would get low enough so that it'd go into sleep mode after 3 days unused. So I'd suspect the battery is at fault, assuming it's getting a decent charge when you are riding the bike. If the bike never gets a decent long run then a trickle charger (10 euro one in Lidl is good) is worth using especially in winter

Edit - what you describe, bike starting and running fine and then not restarting after being parked for a short while - means the battery is dying.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I have a Datatool fitted to one my bikes for 6+ years without issue & it's a thumping 1.7L engine.

I suggest your battery is fooked IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You could measure the drain on the battery while the alarm is on. It should show up on one of them handheld voltage testers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Just wire a multimeter into the system temporarily and measure current with and without alarm. The difference between the 2 is your drain. make also sure some loose wire doesnt touch where it shouldn't as that would cause a short circuit and therefore drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement