Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for looking after a blind cat?

• 26-01-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

One of my* cats is going blind, he had a ruptured cataract and any sight he had in that eye beforehand is completely gone, now his good eye is starting to fog. He can see enough to jump to the counter to eat (though there are times he hesitates or doesn't make the jump) and his depth perception is basically gone, sometimes he doesn't even see that I'm about to pet him and he'll flinch even though he is looking directly at me

He's not a cat who is happy staying in the house 24/7, so he regularly pops out to do his business. I don't think he should be going out much if at all considering the state of his eyesight, but I guess you could say I have no control over that as I'm at home less than everyone else who lives here. :/

Any tips for looking after a blind cat, or a cat who is going blind?

*Technically he isn't mine, he belongs to my housemate.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

So sorry to hear it VonVix, but I've heard they adapt really well?

There is a very good publication by Cat Professionals that would help a lot I'd say. Natasha Mitchell is our local eye vet - she loves cats. :)

http://www.vetprofessionals.com/catprofessional/blind.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well for starters make sure to talk to him; this way he knows it is you coming when it's time to pet him etc. As for feeding move it down to the floor to make it easier for him to get to and have a look at how he usually moves around the house to know where not to block things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I wouldn't let him go outside. His perception of dangers and risks is very limited and this could cause him trouble.
    Better a sad cat than a dead cat, in my opinion.
    As for the house, start palcing his stuff always in the same places, so it'll be easier for him to find them when he eventually loses his eyesight.
    People with totally blind cats use not to move the furniture around the house, because a blind cat maps the house and knows where the obstacles are.
    Announce yourselves with your voice while approaching him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

He'll rely on his other senses a lot more so focus on those. One of my lecturers gave us great tips on care for blind dogs, I'm sure the same would stand for cats.

Make the house as sensory friendly as possible. Having multiple radios switched on low in the same locations would help him locate where he is in a sort of echolocation way. Mild air fresheners, keeping to the same type and scent in the same rooms. Keep in mind the textures under his feet, if there's wooden floors throughout think about putting different mats around the house but don't move them about of course. Attach bells to your shoes so he'll always hear feet coming and not get a surprise kick. Smear a tiny bit of something smelly (think some sort of essence for oil burners) on either side of doorframes and keep topped up.

Il have a look later and see can I find any of her notes on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

We had a blind dog growing up! The only advice that I would give is try get the cat into a routine as much as possible. Feed him in the exact same place, don't move the furniture around (this is an important one - we would move our coffee table an inch and my dog would walk into it) and try get vocal with your cat. Calling her when you come into the house or before you touch them (this is an important one if they are sleeping - you may give them a fright if they don't hear you and you'll get scratched).

Our dog had cataracts too and lost her sight at 3 years old. She lived till she was 18 and never had any issues! You will be amazed how quickly they adapt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement