Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying helmet online ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jo06555 wrote: »
    Iv bein looking online for PPE and the prices vary alot, im wondering do sites like this http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=3422789&PageSize=20&Page=8 really sell good qaulity gear at such low prices ? Whats the catch if any :confused: Is it ok to buy helmets from online suppliers like this. .. thanks.
    Helmets are fine but they have to fit, unless you know that the helmet fits you properly you may as well wear a helmet made from a hollowed out watermelon.
    If you have tried a helmet on and know it fits correctly then you can buy one online.
    If a helmet fits badly it can be painful on a longer ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Economies of scale, when you buy 1000's or even 10,000's of items you will get a better deal from manufacturers.

You could also try Helmet City. Never bought on-line from them but have bought from them in the NEC and they were grand to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Dont buy one on line, go into a bricks and mortar and get one that fits. I got an arai from crossans in newry and it was way too tight, on the spot they changed the lining for a thinner version, and a perfect fit. I'm sure other lads would agree that its the fit that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Dont buy one on line, go into a bricks and mortar and get one that fits. I got an arai from crossans in newry and it was way too tight, on the spot they changed the lining for a thinner version, and a perfect fit. I'm sure other lads would agree that its the fit that counts.

Do this. Then price it online with the different size liner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Thanks ... il go and get one that fits and see how much the difference is with prices .. I imagine the difference will be a lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Iv bein looking online for PPE and the prices vary alot, im wondering do sites like this http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?ViewAction=View&ObjectID=3422789&PageSize=20&Page=8 really sell good qaulity gear at such low prices ? Whats the catch if any :confused: Is it ok to buy helmets from online suppliers like this. .. thanks.

I bought an AGV from them..i tried them all on in Bikeworld first though.....saved €100 at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I bought an AGV from them..i tried them all on in Bikeworld first though.....saved €100 at the time..

That's good to hear .. once I try them on in shop first then is it? Might save a few quid if they too expensive in the shops here ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

That's good to hear .. once I try them on in shop first then is it? Might save a few quid if they too expensive in the shops here ..

Yeah....Got a lovely Revit wax jacket on line too...saved €70 on Crossans price....yeah i know i'm a cnut...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Bought my first shark helmet from Cotters, got a great deal on it at the RDS bike show. When I came off the first bike I brought it to Cotters who returned it to Shark for me for an assessment and then I collected it a few weeks later - free of charge of course. Knowing what size I needed and what helmet I wanted I bought the same helmet from Helmet City and saved €85 on what Cotters would offer me on the exact same lid.

If I have any issues with it I may have to return it to Helmet City to be sent back to Shark but that is the price to pay for the savings of going local.

But as pointed out, make sure you have tried it on and know exactly how it fits. If you know what helmet & size you want I can recommend Helmet City. Good price compared to bricks and mortar here as there is no VAT on helmets over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

RE price difference

most other countries dont charge as much VAT on critical safety equipment.. Ireland is not one of them unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wossack wrote: »
    RE price difference

most other countries dont charge as much VAT on critical safety equipment.. Ireland is not one of them unfortunately :(

And thanks to the EU we now pay the full Irish VAT no matter where we buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not the best idea in the world in fairness unless you have tried the exact helmet on in a different shop FIRST!

Remember €50 helmets are for €50 heads......you know it makes sense Rodney!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not the best idea in the world in fairness unless you have tried the exact helmet on in a different shop FIRST!

As bad and all as the SHARP tests are some of the expensive helmets preform much worst than the cheaper ones. But it doesn't matter how expensive a helmet it is a badly fitting one is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Del2005 wrote: »

Join the EU they said.. be grand they said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bought my last 3 lids from fc-moto, brother the same. Definitely try on first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

From the article u linked to:
    From 1 January 2015, EU VAT will be charged in the country where products are bought as opposed to the country where they are sold. The legislation applies to digital products only, such as e-books, online courses or downloads.From 1 January 2015, EU VAT will be charged in the country where products are bought as opposed to the country where they are sold. The legislation applies to digital products only, such as e-books, online courses or downloads.

As bad and all as the SHARP tests are some of the expensive helmets preform much worst than the cheaper ones. But it doesn't matter how expensive a helmet it is a badly fitting one is useless.

Sharp test is seriously flawed, would not be going on that to buy a helmet. Been many a thread on the sharp test so not getting into it here. But a Duchini 80 euro lid got four stars and my Arai Quantum got 2 or 3 I think it was.....I KNOW WHAT I WOULD RATHER HAVE PROTECTING MY CRUST.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

would anyone be concerned with what happens to the helmet in transit if bought online, gettin bounced around the back of a truck? Then again, we've no idea what happened to it before it got to the shop either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought from FC Moto myself.

Measure by head about 10 times. Took the plunge its perfect. Great Helmet, Great Price, Great Delivery.

NO problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

listermint wrote: »
    Bought from FC Moto myself.

Measure by head about 10 times. Took the plunge its perfect. Great Helmet, Great Price, Great Delivery.

NO problems.

Same. Bought from louis.de and she fitted grand. I did spend a few days measuring me noggin though. Its so hard to get a good fitting helmet with my chiseled features:D

• Advertisement

Same. Bought from louis.de and she fitted grand. I did spend a few days measuring me noggin though. Its so hard to get a good fitting helmet with my chiseled features:D

Ye have a head like a chisel alright!!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Don't forget just because a helmet is the right size in cm doesn't mean it will 'fit' you. One make in X cm can fit completely different to a different make in the same X cm. Try to try one of before you order online if you can. :)

E.g. I find a Large Arai helmet fits/feels completely different to a Large Shoei. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

very few places left to try on helmets before then buying online, but then what do you expect? the vat makes it 23% dearer here and of course there are some shipping charges. some dealers now looking for a deposit prior to lengthy trying on of helmets and clothing to deter time wasters which is kinda understandable i suppose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

fatbast wrote: »
    very few places left to try on helmets before then buying online, but then what do you expect? the vat makes it 23% dearer here and of course there are some shipping charges. some dealers now looking for a deposit prior to lengthy trying on of helmets and clothing to deter time wasters which is kinda understandable i suppose..

I would tell them where to go if they started that
    Deposit to try on gear?
    If I wanna buy a car I'm allowed drive it straight away probably without them even comming with me
    Wanna buy a bike ?: no test drive without deposit
    I had to hand over €500 to get my last test drive

No way on earth i am giving a dealer a "deposit" to try on gear, not a chance. If the service is good and the lad is sound and has the craic I would buy there even if cheaper online. Majority of places in this country right across tye board dont understand the world service!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Don't mean to hi Jack the thread but has any one ever dealt with this company before?

www.motoabbigliamento.it/en/

Replacing my helmet and its 35 shmackeroos cheaper than the next best price I can find, www.motorcycleshop.ie, have dealt with them before and have been very happy. 35 quid is a bit of a difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm all for saving money but do people not worry about their helmets passage through the post? I'm sure they wrap them well but you can never be sure if its been dropped in transit or had something heavy fall upon it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'm all for saving money but do people not worry about their helmets passage through the post? I'm sure they wrap them well but you can never be sure if its been dropped in transit or had something heavy fall upon it.

How do you think the helmets shops here have get to Ireland :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Not sure I ever agreed with this statement really. The cheapest lids will obviously be of a poorer fit etc but they all pass pretty much the same safety standards. And let's be honest, if you come off at speed you're in big trouble no matter what.

• Advertisement

Geraldo wrote: »
    Not sure I ever agreed with this statement really. The cheapest lids will obviously be of a poorer fit etc but they all pass pretty much the same safety standards. And let's be honest, if you come off at speed you're in big trouble no matter what.

Well I would rather be in my Arai Quantum coming off at speed then a €50 lidl/Aldi lid.....but each to their own m8.

Advertisement