Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT without the coding

Options
  • 26-01-2015 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in IT, but I'm not really interested in coding. When I think of something I'd like to do I think of running an IT department in a company. I don't like the thoughts of sitting and coding for hours on end. I'd like to be up fixing PCs, managing an IT budget, fixing issues etc. The thing is I haven't really seen any Uni courses that would suit this. I've spoken to my Guidance Counselor and she suggested Business Information Systems which is something I would be interested in. It does have coding, but it also has business which is a subject I like. I've checked around here to see if anyone has posted a thread similar but I haven't seen one. I've seen Network Management in AIT but it's a level 7 course. Would this be an issue? I'm not sure if going to an IT would be a good choice over a Uni. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Business Information Systems, Digital Marketing, general business and IT would be the way to go. I don't think you could avoid coding completely you'd at least may need to have a skill in HTML and web programming maybe .net/application programming and database coding (SQL). I'd suggest to teach yourself if you can from online tutorials/books. Maybe do a short course when you have time before you start your college course might give you a heads up.

Technical support is another option, very little coding except when it comes to the operating system side of things depending what level you want to stay at but can be difficult to get into at the moment as a career without certs i.e. compita, cnna certs etc along with work experience. You'd have command codes working in technical support depending on the Operating System in particular linux. I've gone down similar routes to what you are interested in career wise. I still recommend a Uni degree over an IT degree or do the degree in an IT and then do a postgrad in a Uni. Just that a Uni be more recognisable on paper by interviewers and employers though continuous assessment and work based skills are better emphasised in the IT's than the Uni's, Uni's tend to be more theory based, and the coding exams tend to be on paper rather than on computer. The continuous assessment can vary on Uni's the final exams and main projects are a bigger emphasis in Uni's. IT's tend to emphasise on continuous assessment and major projects more than the exams not saying that exams aren't important. The teaching methods there is very little difference just what they emphasise in the courses can vary depending if its in an IT or Uni!

Have you tried do coder dojo at any point?

Best of luck with your studies and career!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Eazzah wrote: »
    I'm interested in IT, but I'm not really interested in coding. When I think of something I'd like to do I think of running an IT department in a company.
    You'll do well to get to such a position and completely avoid coding!
    I'd like to be up fixing PCs, managing an IT budget, fixing issues etc.
    Most IT departments don't "fix" PCs - it's generally not cost-effective to do so.
    The thing is I haven't really seen any Uni courses that would suit this.
    Networking Applications & Services at DIT sounds like it would be right up your street. There's also Management science and information systems studies at Trinity, for example.
    I'm not sure if going to an IT would be a good choice over a Uni.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. What matters most is course content and what you actually learn, not where you learn it. Sure, Trinity is likely to stand out a bit more on your CV than DIT (for example), but after a few years post-graduation, it really won't matter. As said above, generally speaking, IT courses will tend to be more practical and hands-on than Uni courses.

Advertisement