Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Rate Mortgage Ending

Options
  • 27-01-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

My 5 year fixed rate mortgage is coming to an end in March. The rate I was on was 3.86% and my LTV is less than 50%. Just looking for some advice on what to do ? Should I fix again or go with the LTV variable? I know that nobody can tell me what to do (apart from my wife, obviously) but I am just looking for some advice from people with a better knowledge of these thing than me. I am with AIB for my mortgage.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

My 5 year fixed rate mortgage is coming to an end in March. The rate I was on was 3.86% and my LTV is less than 50%. Just looking for some advice on what to do ? Should I fix again or go with the LTV variable? I know that nobody can tell me what to do (apart from my wife, obviously) but I am just looking for some advice from people with a better knowledge of these thing than me. I am with AIB for my mortgage.

Thanks in advance

AIB are offering 3.90% for a 5 year fixed at the moment to existing customers. You need to check what loan to value variable rate they will offer you. If you decide to move your mortgage you can get as low as 3.60% LTV mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP as your are coming of a fixed rate with AIB you can choose the less than 50% variable rate you would need to get a valuation done on your home. The less than 50% LTV is 3.85% IMO I would choose this as its a good rate and gives you reflexabilty down the road. Or as Trish56 has said you could switch KBC are offering a switcher deal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thanks for the advice.
    3.90% sounds like a good rate and is only .04% above what I am paying at the moment. I know what you are saying about flexibility but my feeling is that the rates cannot get any lower so will only go up. I think that it is unlikely that I will be able to pay any sort of lump sum off my mortgage in the next 5 years so I am thinking that possibly fixing is the way forward for me.

I wouldn't be so sure of rates rising in the medium term AIB have priced there fixed rates more favourable than their variable rates which may indicate that they are forecasting a further fall in rates. The 2 fixed is 3.80% good value and isn't a long time so if rates do fall over next year or two you would be in a good position. That's just my 2 cents worth I'm looking at the 2 year fixed myself but I haven't made a decision yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thanks Heisenberg1.
    That is certainly an option that I will look at and as you say gives a bit of flexibility.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭deeks

I imagine there's a lot of people (like myself) will be watching how this develops with great interest. A game changer if the decision is upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Indeed, I am in the same position, have the letter signed to fix for 2 years on 4% with BOI (rather than my 4.35% variable), but can't decide whether to fix or not. Does anyone know any more about the challenge to danske bank and if any findings there would cause other banks to cut interest rates?

Advertisement