Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Liverpool League Cup 2nd Leg. 27/01/15 7.45pm SS1

• 27-01-2015 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

capital-one-cup-mourinho-rodgers_3256465.jpg?20150126114939

A spot in the first domestic final of the season is up for grabs when Chelsea host Liverpool in the Capital One Cup semi-final second-leg at Stamford Bridge.

Raheem Sterling's second-half equaliser at Anfield gives Liverpool a fighting chance ahead of Tuesday's return fixture.

However, the 1-1 scoreline does not tell the full story of last week’s first leg, with Liverpool unfortunate not to be taking a lead to the capital.

Capital One Cup 1st leg semi-final highlights between Liverpool and Chelsea at Anfield
    The Reds found Thibaut Courtois in fine form, but they will get a second chance to earn a place in their first final since winning this competition in 2012.

Jose Mourinho will want his side to bounce back from what he described as a “shameful” defeat at the hands of League One side Bradford in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Team news

Mourinho will revert to his tried and trusted first-choice players as Chelsea bid to recover from their shock FA Cup exit. Captain John Terry, goalkeeper Courtois, Branislav Ivanovic, Nemanja Matic, Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, Eden Hazard and Willian are all poised to return to the starting line-up.

Brendan Rodgers says Mario Balotelli has every chance to prove himself
    John Obi Mikel (head) and Andre Schurrle (back) are doubts, but neither are likely to be involved from the start as the Blues aim to respond immediately to their embarrassing exit to the Bantams.

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge could be back in contention for a starting berth. The England forward, who has not played for the Reds since August, is now back in full training after thigh problems but is unlikely to be risked if not deemed fully ready.

Captain Steven Gerrard and defender Martin Skrtel, rested for the weekend's FA Cup tie against Bolton, are likely to return but it remains to be seen if striker Mario Balotelli - left out for reasons of form and attitude - features.

Copy & Paste job courtesy of Sky Sports.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/329964/preview

Come on the Reds, Do it for Aspas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is today the 27th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is today the 27th?

All day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm about to go full Kevin Keegan on this sh!t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Cahill was dropped for this game I'd be pretty happy TBH.

I'd like to see

Tbo
    Azp Ivan/Zouma JT Luis
    Cesc MAtic
    Willian Oscar Hazard
    Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I reckon 2 or 3 nil to Chelsea. Last week was our shot imo.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Tbo is a very strange shortening of Thibaut Courtois. Any reason for that format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Really enjoyed watching that first leg. Not supporting either side it was just a slow evening and I was pleasantly surprised by what I felt was a bit of a footballing treat.

Thought if Liverpool played like that all the time they'd be right in there with a title shout. We'll see, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

5starpool wrote: »
    Tbo is a very strange shortening of Thibaut Courtois. Any reason for that format?

That's how you pronounce his name; t-bo, so it isn't that strange.

That's how you pronounce his name; t-bo, so it isn't that strange.

Ah right, I hadn't considered that one. I'm not generally one for shortening names or using nicknames myself.

As above, just what I'm used to seeing on some twitter accounts for team news and lineups. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

'Chelsea squad strong enough to win the quadruple'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

kfallon wrote: »
    All day!

What about after midnight and if I'm travelling through timelines and fall asleep in one and wake up in another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think this may be the first match in the history of the club where fans wouldn't be happy with a draw, so hopefully a historic master class from Rodgerspool invoking the spirit of Pardew, Pocchitino, and the guy that manages Bradford.

Do it for whoever rage quit the thread this week.....and hangballlouie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd agree with 5*p, no shortening of names!

brevity wrote: »
    I'd agree with 5*p, no shortening of names!

Even for the sake of brevity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Liverpool can keep it tight for....ah hell what am I saying?! Attack! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gwan the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Liverpool should just go all out for it and generally have a bit of a laugh. It's a bit pointless trying to sit back and defend when that's just something we just can't do.

So just go out and try to win five four or something. And if we lose five four, unlucky boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I think Chelsea will come out all guns blazing after losing on Saturday. Reckon they will win comfortably tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

5-0 Chelsea

• Advertisement

A lovely 0-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Head says a result for Chelsea is more likely but you never know how a goal could change this game for Liverpool if they can score first. If they do not i can forsee a very tight affair resulting in frustration.

2-1 Chelsea.

Then the usual stuff happening, Chelsea fullbacks taking an age to do a throw in, Liverpool conceding a poor goal from setpiece, Hazard or Costa to provide a goal from nothing, spirited fightback from Liverpool but getting caught on the counter from their own corner ... and if that doesn't happen Chelsea fans using Cahill as the scapegoat as usual cos that's equally predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I'm going with a heroic defeat for Liverpool.

Chelsea fans using Cahill as the scapegoat as usual cos that's equally predictable.

You must not watch chelsea much, cahill is a liability this year.

I hope im not complaining about him tonight but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Will a score draw (ie 2-2/3-3 etc) do for Liverpool at 120 mins?

Will a score draw (ie 2-2/3-3 etc) do for Liverpool at 120 mins?

1-1 after 120, penos.
    2-2 or higher after 120, pool go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Narrow Chelsea win or scoreless draw, or a sudden unrelated realisation, that English club knock out competitions aren't really worth bothering about after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

5starpool wrote: »
    Even for the sake of brevity?

This post is far too witty for the soccer forum. If you had posted this in After Hours, you would be swimming in thanks. Swimming in them! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Kirby wrote: »
    This post is far too witty for the soccer forum. If you had posted this in After Hours, you would be swimming in thanks. Swimming in them! :P

Let's all just lick windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Let's all just lick windows.
    You accidently put the apostrophe in the right place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Something similar to this just to drive Jose completely cracked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Chelsea will win this by 2 goals. Cant really seeing LFC go through other than a 1-1 and peno's situation.

Would love a completely undeserved win in controversial circumstances for LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

B8YHfl1IgAAOByx.jpg:large

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Courtois; Ivanovic, Zouma, Terry (c), Filipe Luis; Matic, Fabregas; Willian, Oscar, Hazard; Diego Costa

subs: Cech, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Ake, Ramires, Remy and Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah Jaysus I'm too late to the party, was hoping to get here and see the leaked team rather than the officially announced one :mad:

• Advertisement

Cahill not starting could mean extended run for Zouma, providing he does well tonight, which isnt a bad thing IMO.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cahill not starting could mean extended run for Zouma, providing he does well tonight, which isnt a bad thing IMO.

How has he performed so far for you? I haven't seen much of him this year.

Matic and Fabregas protecting the back line then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

GavRedKing wrote: »

He'll be sound. He'll be alongside the mighty Terry.

• Advertisement

I think it will end 2-1 to Chelsea as I fancy us to score. We must go for the jugular as we can't play any other way. If we set up defensively we will get an awful hiding but it looks like he is going for it with the line up.

How has he performed so far for you? I haven't seen much of him this year.

Mixed, hes been ok and hes been terrible.

When hes having an off day hes a real liability, suffers without JT next to him as well.

Its a big game for Zouma too really, apart from the odd start in the UCL, this is probably going to be his most testing game to date.

A poor show from him will leave Jose wondering what to do at CB I'd imagine.

Matic and Fabregas protecting the back line then?

If it was away it would have been Mikel - Matic, because we'll be looking to control the possesion at home, Mikel is rightfully dropped.

Harsh on Atkinson to be dropped by Mourinho...he was their best performer last week.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Harsh on Atkinson to be dropped by Mourinho...he was their best performer last week.

Love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Prediction:

Chelsea to come out strong and score early. Liverpool to have most of the ball from around minute 20 onwards and to draw a blank against a well organised Chelsea backline that will be happy to sit deep on the lead. A couple of half-chances, a couple of penalty shouts but no joy.

Chelsea to get a late winner on the break.

2-0 final score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

costa to get someone sent off,hendo most likley

• 10-0 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

3-1 to Chelsea. Costa hattrick. Skrtel to be sent off.

Love you.

Back at you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement