Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadbury's no longer for sale in US

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

The chocolate over here is so bad! I've been having Whole Nut bars mailed to me like crazy. Mmm Cadbury's! My husband (American) loves Cadbury's too, my mam sends him over all kinds of chocolate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My condolences, US chocolate doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

I'll have to get the mother to bring chocolate as well as Tayto and Lyon's tea when she's coming over, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Does that include Creme Eggs?

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Does that include Creme Eggs?

*sigh*

No, because we don't get the European Creme Eggs, so they should still be available.

The rest of it sucks, though. I have a store near me that sells just about everything from the UK and Ireland, and this might put them out of business.

Hershey sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Kinder Eggs are illegal too....... ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Give them a Glock instead :pac:

Will this affect people in Canada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I am back and forth to Europe quite a few times a year and buy crap loads of them for my colleague to give to her kids.

Got caught once on a random inspection coming through LAX - the customs guy looked at me, said his kids loved them and closed my bag. I would have offered him one, but bribery and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

No, because we don't get the European Creme Eggs, so they should still be available.

Well the Hershey version of all Cadbury will still be available, that's what the ruling was about, they were protecting their rights to sell it here. Unfortunately it's sh*te, so you'll still be able to get creme eggs and dairy milk but it's the Hershy version only, which nobody buys anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

spideog7 wrote: »
    Well the Hershey version of all Cadbury will still be available, that's what the ruling was about, they were protecting their rights to sell it here. Unfortunately it's sh*te, so you'll still be able to get creme eggs and dairy milk but it's the Hershy version only, which nobody buys anyway.

The Creme Eggs were never made by Hershey. The ones you get in stores here were imported by Hershey, but if you check where they were made it was always the UK/Europe.

If you want to know exactly how Hershey ended up with the rights to the Cadbury name in the US, the whole sad story is here -

http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Wars-150-Year-Rivalry-Greatest-ebook/dp/B0044BD5XU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heard about this on the radio, does the USA have any market for proper chocolate, artisan bakeries must exist with mail order I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Heard about this on the radio, does the USA have any market for proper chocolate, artisan bakeries must exist with mail order I'm sure.

You can get Lindt and stuff like that alright but it is pricey.

To be fair most good artisan chocolate purists would not appreciate being lumped in to the same category with Cadbury.

You can get decent milk chocolate at Aldi, same as the stuff they stock at home, I've seen Milka around too. Green and Black's and Ghirardelli (Lindt) is also stocked in most stores.

There's plenty of good chocolate, it's just not the same though.

The Creme Eggs were never made by Hershey. The ones you get in stores here were imported by Hershey, but if you check where they were made it was always the UK/Europe.

Oh so they do get the European eggs over here? Hmm last time I had them here they were not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

spideog7 wrote: »
    To be fair most good artisan chocolate purists would not appreciate being lumped in to the same category with Cadbury.

You can get decent milk chocolate at Aldi, same as the stuff they stock at home, I've seen Milka around too. Green and Black's and Ghirardelli (Lindt) is also stocked in most stores.

There's plenty of good chocolate, it's just not the same though.

You can get some decent Belgian chocolate at some stores like World Market or even at Marshalls and TJ Maxx some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Does this deal just affect stuff imported directly from the UK, or other countries?

When I lived in Atlanta, I used to get my Cadburys loot from Cost Plus World Market. Their Cadburys items stuff definitely had non English print on the back (with the ingredients and what not) that would be in English here and the UK. I think they came from Germany or Switzerland, or some where like that. Although why they would be importing it from the EU and not the UK or Ireland, is anyones guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just one more reason why never to go to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I left home when I was 16 (boarding school, later moved to the USA), so fortunately, my mom still thinks I am 17 and sends supply packages. They are now officially for the kids, but there is chocolate tax :P I do miss Flakes, but I rarely bought any here locally anyways.

We do have a wonderful artisan chocolatier within driving distance, for any of you in the MO/ AR area, or willing to do mailorder. A whole different game from mass produced chocolate in taste, quality and price of course: https://askinosie.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had no idea! Just this morning I mentioned Kinder Eggs to my husband and he had no idea what I was talking about. I thought it was weird but now it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Im lucky we have an Irish store here that sells the stuff from home even taytos so i never have to eat the muck that was Yankee Cadburys

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote: »
    Im lucky we have an Irish store here that sells the stuff from home even taytos so i never have to eat the muck that was Yankee Cadburys

But where do they get their Cadburys items from? Do they have an Irish supplier who sends it to them from Ireland. If they don't & they use the import company named in the link, they could be affected by this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ProudDUB wrote: »
    But where do they get their Cadburys items from? Do they have an Irish supplier who sends it to them from Ireland. If they don't & they use the import company named in the link, they could be affected by this too.

They get it all sent over from Belfast so its the good stuff. But will check for sure with them. I have also started buying stuff of ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm over visiting home now. I'll be sure to fill up the suitcase before I fly back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭eire4

jjbrien wrote: »
    They get it all sent over from Belfast so its the good stuff.

Not sure I am correct here but is Hershey's trying to block the sale of any Cadbury's being sold in the US unless it's what they make under license in the US themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

eire4 wrote: »
    Not sure I am correct here but is Hershey's trying to block the sale of any Cadbury's being sold in the US unless it's what they make under license in the US themselves?

that's what I understood from the link and the matter of confusing a reeses peanut bar with a toffee crisp...which seems highly unlikely, nut it IS America after all. And American trademark law, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

silja wrote: »
    I left home when I was 16 (boarding school, later moved to the USA), so fortunately, my mom still thinks I am 17 and sends supply packages. They are now officially for the kids, but there is chocolate tax :P I do miss Flakes, but I rarely bought any here locally anyways.

We do have a wonderful artisan chocolatier within driving distance, for any of you in the MO/ AR area, or willing to do mailorder. A whole different game from mass produced chocolate in taste, quality and price of course: https://askinosie.com/

Had a flake today at lunchtime, first in a long time, nom nom, made up the road from me. You just cannot beat the Irish milk in Cadburys chocolate, simply unbeatable, Kraft are you listening?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm over visiting home now. I'll be sure to fill up the suitcase before I fly back :D

Well, as Belfast is technically the UK, they may well be affected by all this, as the shipment has to make it thru US Customs. The Belfast company may need an export license, that they may not be able to get due to all this.

eBay are a a different kettle of fish. They are very quick to act if they think that international copyright laws are being infringed. As I found out when I tried to buy box sets on the cheap, from the US. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

vicwatson wrote: »
    Had a flake today at lunchtime, first in a long time, nom nom, made up the road from me. You just cannot beat the Irish milk in Cadburys chocolate, simply unbeatable, Kraft are you listening?

I used to like the ones that were Flakes but had the chocolate coating.

(I was a messy Flake eater.)

:pac:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I used to like the ones that were Flakes but had the chocolate coating.

(I was a messy Flake eater.)

:pac:

I do believe that is a Twirl that you are referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twirl_%28chocolate_bar%29

Shame on you for not knowing that.

You'll be saying you don't know what a Curly Wurly is next. :P

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote: »

Yes that's my reading of it, everything with Cadbury on it unless they're selling it.

Although according to various articles on the matter, it says they settled with the main importer. Technically there was no ruling saying it couldn't be imported (but likely the other importers haven't a licence to do it anyway).

Nobody near me sells it anyway, so it won't bother me!

Advertisement