Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intermittent humming 2003 E200

• 27-01-2015 9:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I am having a (hopefully) small issue with my 2003 E200 auto. I bought it 3 days ago.

There is a humming, or very light grinding noise which at first, sounded like it was coming from the gearbox, but now I think it's in the engine bay. I can feel a slight vibration through the accellerator pedal when it's pressed a little and the humming is present. Otherwise there is no vibration. It happens usually in active gears, whether moving, or stationary. It is not constant and happens for about 2 seconds, usually when the gear is changed to D, N, and R. I havent noticed it happening in P, but it may be happening there too. When driving, it can happen when i slow down to make a turn, or stop at lights and it doesn't seem to happen at speed.

I am guessing anywhere between a failing transmission to faulty alternator, or loose belt. I'm confused. Any help appreciated.

I got this car for half the price of the next 03 E200 due to some light crash damage to the rear bumper, which I am getting sorted today. I hope this other issue doesn't become an expensive problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Clutch maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Clutch maybe?

Hadn't even crossed my mind. Possibly. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Just went through similar. In my case it turned out to be the starter motor. Suggestions ranged from gearbox to alternator to all sorts.

It could be anything. Self and internet diagnosis will only get you so far. In some cases it may cost you money. Bring it to an indy you trust and get to the bottom of it.

Advertisement