Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Prices

Options
  • 27-01-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I am planning to build an extension on the rear of my house. Just wondering how much is the average cost of an architect including site visit, draft sketches and final sketches?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NatalieD wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning to build an extension on the rear of my house. Just wondering how much is the average cost of an architect including site visit, draft sketches and final sketches?

Thanks in advance

Theres no average cost.
    Some quote as a % of the buid, some quote as a once off payment to take you to planning stage only.

Then it depends on the size and complexity of the job as you may need further representation due to the new Building Control Act.

Only real way of finding out is getting a couple out to the house, go through the project scope and let them price you.
    This can also depend on your location, city, Dublin, countryside etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NatalieD

On speaking to friends who are builders and on meeting with one architect. The scope of the project is very straight forward and basic, double storey rear extension. Architect reckons no more then 20-25K. How much would should I expect to pay?

On speaking to friends who are builders and on meeting with one architect. The scope of the project is very straight forward and basic, double storey rear extension. Architect reckons no more then 20-25K. How much would should I expect to pay? We are based in Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

A double storey rear extension for 20-25k? I think the architect is giving you a figure you want to hear rather than some realistic prices. What does your builder friend say?

Most registered architects or chartered building surveyors would price this kind of project work on a set fee and not a percentage. As kceire says, there's no average. The architect or surveyor will want to come out first and go through what you want to do before giving you their fee- best off getting a few in to quote you. Also, bare in mind that each architect/surveyor is different, has different costs and overheads so pricing will varying (sometimes greatly)!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Thanks for your help,our friend reckons about the same. That is for a basic finish i.e without painting so basically just the skeleton-like you would get if you bought a brand new house without any extras. The architect who visited us said €1500 but not sure if that is cheap...any ideas how that would compare with market currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

All costs stated are WAY too low. Don't find out the hard way mid - build.

Basic build cost - €1000/m2 for Dublin. Add min 10% for architect fees on top.
    If you build above 40m2- new building control regs kick in read and weep
    You may need planning permision
    You will need to observe Health and Saftey regs

It has all become very complex ...

Thanks for the advice, we plan to have alot of the work being done by family & friends-brick work, plumbing, electrical & roof. The extension we want is roughly 16 sqm ground floor & 12 sqm on the 1st floor. Originally we had thought 30-35K do you think that is closer to the mark?

Sadly when the actual size is modest the m2 rate goes up. This is because unlike with a new build open site you do have costs associated with protecting the existing building during works and making repairs to un avoidable damages. You may well need a new boiler. You may have hassle (expense) of awkard scoffolding if neighbours dont co operate ( hard to expalin that on internet).

I would think 50K+ honestly

Thank you, back to the drawing board so. I appreciate your advice :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

NatalieD wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, we plan to have alot of the work being done by family & friends-brick work, plumbing, electrical & roof. The extension we want is roughly 16 sqm ground floor & 12 sqm on the 1st floor. Originally we had thought 30-35K do you think that is closer to the mark?

I would put a ball park figure of 40-45k build cost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kceire wrote: »
    I would put a ball park figure of 40-45k build cost.

+1...and that's on the basis of 'simple'.

agreed - my 50k included 5k for fees to architect

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Yeah natalie id agree with most of the posters, Build costs of anywhere from €35,000 to €50,000 realistically.

€1500 is a good price from the Architect if it includes, Design schemes, Finalisation of the Design and Tender package
    Tender pack to include Several Tender Drawings & Specification also

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Arc solutions

€1500 for architects fees sends warning lights off for me. No registered or non registered architect would carry out a professional service for that amount. 40% is gone on tax, let's say 900 left. There is at least 30 hours to survey and draw, 20 hours sketch design. Tender and spec 30 -50 hours. Insurance, rent, utilities, He or she isn't making minimum wage for that figure. And to estimate the cost of construction at 25,000. Crazy. Buyer beware.

Advertisement