Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

age gap

• 27-01-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

So im sitting here watching this moring on utv and there is a married couple with a huge age gap shes 25 he is 82. She use to be a playboy model and his a multi millionaire. Ive no problem with it as last as thete together for the right reasons. What age gap is between you and your partner? Mine is 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

3 years here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

What are "the right reasons" between a Playboy bunny and a millionaire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Once 18+ :P

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I was a bit of a toyboy at one stage.
    When I was 23 I was going out with a 40 year old cougar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Reminds me of Mrs. Merton's question to Debbie McGee:

"So Debbie, what attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

ohbygod wrote: »
    Ive no problem with it as last as thete together for the right reasons.

Several million right reasons I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Biggest I've ever had was 10 years. Didn't work out but that was more the people and less the actual age gap.

I don't think it's really relevant if the people actually have a lot in common. the only worrying aspect is the social pressure. If there's a gap of something like 40 years people will judge and that can put pressure on a relationship.

I'm ten years older than my fella. He keeps me fit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My GF at the mo is about two years younger than me.

Biggest diff I've ever had was with a woman 12 years older than me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In longtermers, 15, 13 and 10 year gaps.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

The biggest age gap ive had was 16 years, he was 35 and i was 19. Usually i go out with older men anyway at least 5+ years older....which i still find to be close in age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeess, what 25 year old woman wouldn't want to be felt up by an 80 year old man. Of course she'd still be with him if he were poor:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

10 years is the biggest age gap I've had!
    I was the toyboy!

What was that old rule? Half your age +7

Rings a bell from the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

So im sitting here watching this moring on utv and there is a married couple with a huge age gap shes 25 he is 82. She use to be a playboy model and his a multi millionaire. Ive no problem with it as last as thete together for the right reasons. What age gap is between you and your partner? Mine is 6
    Your partner is 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She's 15 years younger, I'm 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

blastman wrote: »
    What are "the right reasons" between a Playboy bunny and a millionaire?

Money & Sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

herisson wrote: »
    The biggest age gap ive had was 16 years, he was 35 and i was 19. Usually i go out with older men anyway about 5+ years older.

Did you do math is school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Did you do math is school?

I should rephrase, i usually go out with guys at least 5+ years older than me.

I wasnt trying to say 5+ years classified the guy as old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

biko wrote: »
    She's 15 years younger, I'm 28

Tsk it's taking a long time for someone to bite huh?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Your partner is 6?

6 years is the age gap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Galadriel

11 year gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

6 years is the age gap
    You are 12?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

2.5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Wasn't really my partner, more a girl I was seeing for a while. I was 33, she's 20. Didn't work out but not because of age gap although I certainly had a few reservations about it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

He is 4 years older than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Doubt that it's legally possible to completely remove your spouse from your inheritance but It would be slightly amusing if the old guy enjoyed the few years of sex and secretly wrote her out of his will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The age gap if the woman is older than me wouldn't be so much of a consideration as opposed to if the woman is younger than me, so at 38, I would probably have no issue with a woman in her late 50's (actually now I think of a woman in her late 60's who was utterly filthy, exception to every rule I suppose :pac:), but I wouldn't be caught hanging out in senior citizens residental care homes like a vulgar vulture!

As for younger than me, I'd be more comfortable with someone in her 30's, but younger than that would be a non-starter for me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I know a women who is about 12 years older than me (I'm 30) and she ticks all the boxes in terms of the type of women I'm attracted to. Age isn't one of those boxes, and I suppose I would prefer if she was my age, but she's pretty awesome.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never really had the older woman thing that quite a few guys seem to have. My age or younger was the order of the day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

7 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Money & Sex

Then I'd imagine they are together for the right reasons and the OP can rest easy...

My partners are 2 and 8 years younger than me. But I do not see it. If anything the maturity levels go in reverse order in our relationship - with the youngest girl being the more career minded and mature of the three of us. She keeps us sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My partners are 2 and 8 years younger than me. But I do not see it. If anything the maturity levels go in reverse order in our relationship - with the youngest girl being the more career minded and mature of the three of us. She keeps us sane.
    You're a Mormon, aren't you?

• Advertisement

You're a Mormon, aren't you?

Paid up member of Atheist Ireland I am afraid. And I did not even pretend to be unemployed to get the cheap "no questions asked" unemployment rate. If that does not show dedication to the cause - what does :P

Paid up member of Atheist Ireland I am afraid. And I did not even pretend to be unemployed to get the cheap "no questions asked" unemployment rate. If that does not show dedication to the cause - what does :P

Probably dont believe in age gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Your partner is 6?

Old enough for Mohamed, and he was perfect apparently so fúck it, 6's good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Hmmm. Thread is relevant. Some years ago I was with a woman who was 20 years older than me and both my friends and her friends thought this was great. Now I'm on the other side of the equation, with a woman 20 years younger than me (the ages are almost exactly reversed, in fact). My friends are still the same in terms of saying well, there's an age difference but if you're both happy then go for it. But her friends have her addled telling her I'm a creep and a pervert and why can't I find a woman my own age etc etc.

For the record, none of her friends have actually met me, and also, SHE was the one that made the move on ME (although in fairness, I didn't exactly beat her off with a stick). But still - why is this such a big deal for her friends? If somebody could explain this to me I'd be very grateful! It's not bothering me at all (directly), but it bothers me to think of her friends giving her a hard time over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Hmmm. Thread is relevant. Some years ago I was with a woman who was 20 years older than me and both my friends and her friends thought this was great. Now I'm on the other side of the equation, with a woman 20 years younger than me (the ages are almost exactly reversed, in fact). My friends are still the same in terms of saying well, there's an age difference but if you're both happy then go for it. But her friends have her addled telling her I'm a creep and a pervert and why can't I find a woman my own age etc etc.

For the record, none of her friends have actually met me, and also, SHE was the one that made the move on ME (although in fairness, I didn't exactly beat her off with a stick). But still - why is this such a big deal for her friends? If somebody could explain this to me I'd be very grateful! It's not bothering me at all (directly), but it bothers me to think of her friends giving her a hard time over this.

There prob only looking out for her. I wouldnt take it to heart or they could be jealous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

18 years between me and my husband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

4 year age gap between me and my boyfriend, so not too bad. He's the older one.

Biggest age gap was when I was 20 I was casually seeing a 32 year old, when I was 21 went out with a 29 year old for a few months. No huge age differences though

Probably dont believe in age gaps.

I must or I would have paid the age relevant lower membership rate :)

There prob only looking out for her. I wouldnt take it to heart or they could be jealous

I'm more bothered for her. It kind of pisses her off too that they seem to think she's not capable of making a decision like this and that the only way she could show she'd made the right decision is by doing what THEY think she should do - ie not be with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

He is 2 years older than me.
    Seems a pretty small age gap compared to the majority of other posts so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

:pac:

I'm more bothered for her. It kind of pisses her off too that they seem to think she's not capable of making a decision like this and that the only way she could show she'd made the right decision is by doing what THEY think she should do - ie not be with me.
    Been kinda in that situation myself. First thing I'd do is meet them MB. That may well dispel a lot of ideas they have and ward off issues down the line. IME there'll likely be one of her mates you'll never win over, but so long as the majority don't see you as a perve then game ball.

Again IME it only really became an issue if she was the type of person that was very social circle focused, where peer influence held large sway(that can go for any age too and the type is best avoided anyway), otherwise it wasn't such an issue. That said peer disapproval I generally found to be more of an issue and less easily ignored than parental input funny enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's hardly rocket science?

Society has different expectations of men and women in relationships, and her younger friends are concerned for her welfare, whereas your friends at the time when you were younger, simply weren't so concerned for your welfare. You and your girlfriend are unlikely ever to solve this social dilema, but while you're both happy and healthy I think you should give your girlfriend the credit her friends aren't giving her.

You're both understandably concerned for her welfare, but if you think your girlfriend is mature enough to make decisions for herself, then you must also accept that she can handle her own friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wibbs wrote: »
    Been kinda in that situation myself. First thing I'd do is meet them MB. That may well dispel a lot of ideas they have and ward off issues down the line. IME there'll likely be one of her mates you'll never win over, but so long as the majority don't see you as a perve then game ball.

Again IME it only really became an issue if she was the type of person that was very social circle focused, where peer influence held large sway(that can go for any age too and the type is best avoided anyway), otherwise it wasn't such an issue. That said peer disapproval I generally found to be more of an issue and less easily ignored than parental input funny enough.

I suggested meeting them so they could at least get a chance to see that I wasn't the axe murderer they seem to think I am but they won't even do that (why would we want to meet some old creep etc etc)...I think there's probably more to it than meets the eye and apart from one other friend the rest of them are single so maybe the fact that it's not just their little group any more might have something to do with it. But she's perfectly able to do her own thing despite their hassling her. I suspect that maybe I'm just a symptom of something rather than the cause.

You're both understandably concerned for her welfare, but if you think your girlfriend is mature enough to make decisions for herself, then you must also accept that she can handle her own friends.

Oh I do. But I'm still allowed to not like the situation on her behalf. I'm not interfering (I did offer to meet them as I said above but nope, that's not happening). They're her friends, she can deal with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement