Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok, what's next?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Delighted to see your making great progress A, very much deserved to be honest. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

OOnegative wrote: »
    Delighted to see your making great progress A, very much deserved to be honest. Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much B, delighted to be back. It's great to be able to get out 4 days a week and have my confidence return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Are you two weeks behind? Chop chop! Nice parkrun.

Sept 4 - 10

Monday - lunchtime loop with a colleague, nice easy running. Arrived back to no working shower in work so not my best afternoon look to date. 4.1 miles @9:19

Tuesday 4.4miles including club session of dynamic warmp-up with Strides. Fartlek and session.

Started with Fartlek which I enjoyed. I started them off. Big group and did 3 laps of alternating fast and slow pace. .7 mile.

Next was 2*200/1*400/1*800/2*400/2*200
    I enjoyed this, noted as top of the track was windy but it went well. Still finishing top few so appreciate the longer rests.

Splits Time Distance
    1 00:43.0 0.12
    3 00:45.2 0.13
    5 01:31.6 0.25
    7 03:24.8 0.51
    9 01:36.8 0.25
    11 00:48.5 0.13
    13 00:42.5 0.13

3 days rest then to Saturday, no idea what I was up to. I know what happened. I went off coffee on the Monday and spent the week feeling dreadful. Got Benelyin from the chemist as was wiped and head was blocked up so thought I was getting a dose as constant headache. Turns out it was caffeine withdrawal.

Got up Saturday and ran to Fairview parkrun, did the new loop which is tough going and ran home.

Covered 7 miles @ 8:42. It was only when I got the email with the results I found out my time and a podium finish of second Female. Took it easy enough on the run. The course is now a dangerous mix of watching bike lanes and crossing from path to grass.

I think I had hoped and planned to run on the Sunday but possibly the weather was brutal so decided against.

15.6 miles for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You're just making all this up aren't you :p

annapr wrote: »
    You're just making all this up aren't you :p

That would be easier I'm sure. More drama anyway. Maybe I'll try that and not bother keep going.

One week behind now you can tell D, well 1.5.

Oops I did it again. More overdue updates.

Sept 11-17

Monday started off great as I did my old reliable loop solo up the canal and around by Ballsbridge. Great to do as it's been a long time. 4.6 miles at 8:43, hmmn, I don't remember it as fast but there you go.

Tuesday was very wet and miserable so I didn't fancy a miserable cycle to the club for a session and then dark, wet cycle home. Went to the gym for a change. Did my physio routine but not sure I should be anymore since I can run sucessfully. Problems with sideways movements so considering a S&C visit to update routine and help the running and rehab going forward. It's 3 weeks later and of course no update yet.

I did a km on the treadmill, horrendous. I don't know how others do it. Went for a lovely relaxing swim, dinner and an amazing sleep as a result.

Wednesday: Ah yes, a complete mess. I knew the club session from the night before so tried to replicate it this myself in Ringsend park. A complete F*ck up. I set the watch up and had set it wrong, forgot rest period between sets. Session not worth going in to but was a mile short from the last time at the club. Much harder to do these things solo. Awful. 4.8 miles in total and a lot of angry watch beeps and frustration. Look, I learnt by trying.

Thursday - really overachieving this week with 4 days in a row. Met up with Anna and had a great run. Covered 6.1 miles at 9:42.

Rest on Friday and Saturday it seems and did a super run on Sunday on my own when everyone was either at or watching the match. I think this is the first time I didn't enjoy doing loops in Albert College Park. A beautiful day. Another 6.1 miles @ 8:56, again don't remember it been difficult.

21.6 miles for the week.

Sept 18-24

Monday has rest but think after 3 weeks the half an hour workout in work re-started. Very enjoyable even with the drink intake the previous evening and felt better in the afternoon than I had in the morning. A good workout.

Tuesday - club session.
    Actually did a mile warm-up this week. It was then 8*400 and 2*200. I like 400's so it went well. Didn't do a cool-down due to a very cute visiting baby.

Splits Time Distance
    1 01:30.4 0.25
    3 01:32.6 0.25
    5 01:34.4 0.25
    7 01:30.7 0.24
    9 01:32.8 0.25
    11 01:32.1 0.25
    13 01:32.6 0.25
    15 01:32.5 0.25
    17 00:43.1 0.12
    19 00:42.1 0.12

Wednesday Sept 20th
    Lunchtime loop with a colleague to our old route up and around Ballsbridge. Far too quick for a recovery run. 5 miles at 8:54, much more a progression run. Another sign I should be pushing more and that the rests between club sets are extremely generous.

Thursday - Anna day!
    Beautiful evening so we went up the coast to kick the Bull wall and back. Another route I hadn't done in years. Super weather, views and a great run.
    7.1 miles @ 9:34.

Friday - rest day

Saturday - In Waterford for the evening and had wanted to do Tramore parkrun as it was close. Woke up on Saturday and looked out and it was not ideal weather conditions. Very windy.

Arrived over and did a warm-up. The weather was mental. Windy and as the RD said an added water feature as the waves were crashing over the promenade.

They had a warm-up for all too which was great.

Lined myself up on the start line as numbers were low. You ran up the prom, turned at a cone and back down. I thankfully missed all waves crashing over yet still screamed when they hit others. It was absolutely wild. We ran by the start, down a ramp, across sand and a very wet car park and around to a tarmac hill. Once here we did two loops on a headland. Straight into the wind and then worse a cross wind. I was overtaken once and knew all along I was 2nd Female. I ran the majority of it solo. The marshals and runners were great as I had to check for directions at the turns.

Back down the tarmac to the wet and stoney car park, to a cone and back up and around to the finish. I didn't know the time I was on as I had incoropated the warm-up into the run. I could hear someone catching up on me through the car park but knew it was male. Once back on the prom I picked up speed and crossed the line strong and only a bit pukey.

Feckin thrilled with myself as 7th overall and 2nd Female. I thanked all and got photos taken and went off for a few loops to make up 5 miles.

Off then for a lovely breakfast. Very impressed with the friendless of the crew and actually loved the run.

Fastest time of 23:12 which was a big surprise when the results came out.

5 miles @ 8:05.

That concludes my week with 20.7 miles.

Photos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

aquinn wrote: »
    Photos

Interesting, a parkrun without a park? First one of those I've seen. Looks pretty blustery alright.

You're going well at the moment A. Consistency.

• Advertisement

I love those pics. Tramore is now high on my list of parkruns to try!!! And look at you with your casual 23:12 in those conditions. You're definitely getting your speed back. Must book you for a pacing gig soon :D:D

Good week. No point in replicating club session though, unless it's very specific to a goal race or something or other important. You're either there or not there. ;)

Thrilled. First race back. The Simon home run. First ever race in 2012.

That was tough as exposed run and windy. Wow Am I happy and sweaty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Great stuff A, great comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congratulations! Was checking my placing in the results and saw you a few places above - think your chip time was 38 dead? Well done :)

racheljev wrote: »
    Congratulations! Was checking my placing in the results and saw you a few places above - think your chip time was 38 dead? Well done :)

Yes, that's it. Damn that second. Thrilled with the result though and paces are real confidence boost.

Sorry I didn't see you there.

Well done on the PB. Tough race to get one in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great running A, very impressive time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done Aoife!!

You forgot to mention you were 9th female..... such modesty :D:D

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    You forgot to mention you were 9th female..... such modesty :D:D

9th like, that's top 10 Females.

AMAZING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

9th like, that's top 10 Females.

AMAZING

Well done!!

Sept 25 - October 1

October already, what a fast year.

Ok so quick update before I go on holidays, holidays you say ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Cannot wait.

Monday - Turns out I ran with Anna. Maybe a lunchtime class too but really unsure. Strava tells me it was a lovely evening for it. 5.2 miles @10:04

Tuesday - Ah yes. Family dinner so couldn't do the club session so I ran on lunch. Garmin went awol but covered 3.7 miles but on the day said 4.3 miles so I've no idea but I definitely went for a run. I know I had squirmy insides but no issues thankfully.

Wednesday - Rest day apparently.

Thursday - Looks like I was really reluctant to go for a run but went anyway. A blue mob welcoming the women home to the GAA club scared me as I don't like gangs and crowds so had to avoid Mobhi road.

Friday - obligatory rest day.

Saturday - A big day at St Anne's as 4th Birthday celebrations. Annapr was doing her 50th parkrun and pacing 29 minutes so I was her backup pacer. I really enjoyed the route in reverse. Was ahead of time again but an enjoyable run. I couldn't stay around for the cake as had to head to Donegal.

Sunday - absolutely wrecked from a round trip.

Total for the week 18.4 miles. My knee is good. Still should be doing exercises but v bad of late at gym attendance.

Might as well roll on in to

October 2-8

Monday - down as rest so possible lunch class.

Tuesday - club session day of a fartlek and intervals.
    Fartlek was 1,200 m of fast slow alternating. I enjoy these. For once it was a cooler evening but still breezy. Cycled up and back.

Next we did 100/200/400/800/400/200/100

I found this tough in my head and with the wind on the track but stuck with it without wearing myself out so as always glad I didn't bail.

Wednesday - rest day it seems.

Thursday - I had 20 minutes before the physio appointment so covered 2 miles. I had booked the appointment as had sore back/hips everything really.
    The physio's I've been to with managing the knee have been all gentle and building up the exercises. I'd forgotten the absolute excruciating pain that a physio causes with massages. OMFG. I was biting the table. He said my glutes were like rocks, but not in a good way. My calves, OUCH.

I didn't think I'd be running home but he said I could so off I limped for another few miles.

I have to stretch and do Pilates.

Saturday - Home Run 2017.
    I had decided to make this my comeback race. KennyG had very kindly signed up and was to pace me as part of his long run. Unfortunately he didn't make the start line.
    I had slept ok the night before which was great as sleep of late hasn't been good.
    Up for breakfast and out the door on the bike before 9.
    I tied the bike off in plenty of time and used the portaloo.
    I was faffing about to wear a singlet or keep a light top on. I stuck with the top but still fussing as it was windy but also warm.

I did a mile easy warm-up. The ground was a bit slippy so hoped that wasn't an issue.

I had had a busy week so knew that my goal time was sub 40 but no exact time. Race predictors the previous evening had me about 38:15 I think it was. I decided to set the watch to no slower than 7:55 so it wouldn't be beeping at me the whole time. I knew I'd slow on Khyber and it would be irritating but had based the times and pace on the Tramore parkrun recently. I planned on going out hard and sucking up the horror for the last mile.

I was talking to a nice lady at the start which helped with worry. A slight delay and we were off. I avoid the kids and the falling water bottles and my body felt tired and sluggish. I was surprised the watch wasn't already beeping and when I check was on 6:35 pace so eased off and kept doing so as didn't want to have a complete horror race of starting too fast.

I wouldn't call my breathing comfortable for most of it but felt ok. I got a stitch or some side pain about half way but my paces were good and consistent.

It was hard going as it is a very exposed route and I was running most of it solo so no wind shelter.

I tend to not push myself on downhills so tired my very best to keep the pace going.

The marshalls at the end of the S bends and start of Kyyber responded to my thumbs up and I got a big cheer of support to keep me going. I was very determinded not to stop and give up on the hill. What a hard finish. Watch beeping angrily and feeling pukey but I kept going. You could hear the finish for a lot of it. A clubmate was cheering on the top of the hill which was super.

I crossed the line with a spurt and absolutely delighted with myself to have done my best, raced to my ability. Not given up, pushed myself and the knee and finished with a time on the watch of 38:02. Official time 38 (guttued I couldn't take a second off that). On the club news I was informed I was 9th Female which I hadn't known so absolutely delighted with that.

Lot of cakes, support and water at the finish. With all of this I didn't bother with a cool down lap and cycled home deliriously happy, sweaty, tired.

Splits Time
    1 07:30.6
    2 07:36.1
    3 07:21.2
    4 07:33.2
    5 07:51.7
    6 00:08.8
    Summary 38:01:00

Also absolutely delighted to have raised over €1,000 for the Dublin Simon Community.

Sunday then I was staying out with the folks so did a 4mile loop. All felt good and so would have thought far too fast but covered 4.1 miles @8:49.

A very impressive 24.3 miles for the week.

Going forward now I want a plan in place.

I have been hoping for a while to add a tempo session to my week but that hasn't worked yet.

I had hoped to do the Waterford half but we're away.

Any ideas of a suitable plan and race for me to target?

The aim and hope is for next June to make the start line of the Cork City Marathon as still have my 2016 entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭healy1835

Any ideas of a suitable plan and race for me to target?

The aim and hope is for next June to make the start line of the Cork City Marathon as still have my 2016 entry.

Raheny 5 Mile &/or Dungarvan 10 Mile after Christmas?

Great report Aoife! it's fantastic to see you back racing and looking at a plan :) have a fantastic holiday!!

healy1835 wrote: »
    Raheny 5 Mile &/or Dungarvan 10 Mile after Christmas?

Oh I like this idea. Thanks very much. Any plan suggestions?
    Great report Aoife! it's fantastic to see you back racing and looking at a plan :) have a fantastic holiday!!

Thanks very much. It's great to be back and gain confidence again in the knee and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Smashing run Aoife. That time caught me by surprise although the gutsy performance didn't :)

Top notch. Well done on fundraising too. Just terrific :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff A :)

From 3 hours in Jan and Feb to 13 in Aug and Sept.

October, even with my holidays has 75 miles, 75!

I've really surprised myself by stumbling across this. Delighted obviously.

Anyway, so yes I was on holidays and had a fantastic time. Came back looking refreshed, and obviously brilliant but rounder. Have to get the holiday fat off now.

I haven't been to the club in weeks so heading back tonight. Undecided as yet if I'm going to run down or cycle. The last time I was there was the week I logged, so:

October 9-15

Monday - training all day so no lunchtime class.

Tuesday - I decided to test the mileage on foot from home to the club. Took over 30 minutes as is 3.4 miles. I was tired when I arrived but knew I wasn't going to add to it by doing the club session and had arranged to do a sociable run with a clubmate along the coast.

Back to the club to walk a gent back to his house and was passed by Singer so caught up with him for a while and heard about his future plans, DCM wasn't entered at this point :).

9.4 miles in total with a run home so a big run. This is why I'm not sure about running or cycling tonight. I might run down and bus back, will see.

Wednesday I was still training so no lunchtime or evening running it seems. Oh was at D3/D9 table quiz.

Thursday - The run is noted as 'Free bar = bad food and drink choices. Thought the run would be pure hardship but it was wonderful. A beautiful evening.' Obviously ate and drank all around me. I remember now waking up and not feeling so amazing anyway. Obviously glad I still got out for a run and Anna wasn't able for 14@MP. I did 5.1 miles @ 9:21.

Friday - rest day.

Saturday - Due to Wednesday antics I was obviously convinced/told we were heading to Darndale on Saturday morning. I ran down to the D3 bus where BG was driving and met with Anna and D.

Got to the start and met WW. I hadn't a clue what to do so D very kindly paced me to 1st Female. My first podium spot. I was delighted. They advised the course was long so covered 3.2 miles @ 7:22. If it was 3.1 miles my watch had me at 22:59 which would have been super.

I did it and absolutely thrilled, the first maybe 2 laps there was a bit of chat but not by the third, I had to hold on for it.

I was first, FIRST!

WW told me who HBS was on Strava so sent or accepted that request. Hi HBS :D

Did a cooldown and off we went for breakfast. Another plod home and so for the morning 7.9 miles. In a rush then to my first European cup rugby match. Much drink was had in the evening.

22.5 miles for the week.

October 16-22 - holidays.

We were very lucky the plane left with Ophelia blowing through. A few nights in glorious Stockholm. Managed to do two very enjoyable morning runs so 7.2 miles for the week.

October 23-29 - still on holidays.

Somewhere different again so I got to run in Biarritz along an amazing coast.
    San Sebastián twice along the river and coast and loved it, marathon there is very appealing.

17.6 miles for the week and one run on home turf.

October 30-Nov 5

4 runs to give 25.1 miles for the week.

Not back off holidays yet.

Monday I'm sure was a lot of walking.

Tuesday before we flew back I did a lovely run by the river in Bilbao in glorious sunshine.

Wednesday back to work so I went out for an evening run and ended up doing 6.2 miles. It was a lovely evening so took the holiday weight for a run to try and shift. Diet still in holiday mode though. 6.2 miles in 58:15 @9:19 so nicely done.

Thursday - I had to force myself out the door, was dreading it but ended up having a great run and doing DCU loop. It took me longer to motivate myself than it did to run. 4 miles in 36:37 @9:04.

I'm not checking the watch but still just running what feels right and checking mile splits. All runs according to calculators are too fast so have to watch this.

Saturday morning adventures with Anna/Laura and BG. Met up with Anna and Laura and ran down to Poolbeg parkrun. Massive crowd as the VHI were there. I took it easy and went around with a quickly returning to fit BG. A run back up to coffees and home. A lot of miles on a Saturday morning and I was stiff after the coffee break but really pleased as 11.3 miles in total.

Nov 6-12

Another week of no club and 4 runs.

Back to the lunchtime class which was very tough after a long absence. I went out Monday evening and did usual loop now in reverse. Delighted with this as knee felt great and perfect running weather. 4 miles in 37:06 @ 9:08.

Tuesday - had a special dinner night and was having a good hair day so no run.

Wednesday - It was a very cold morning and felt like an auld wan all day as the knee was stiff and sore. Ferris told me on the weekend to try tiger balm so will in future. The run was ok but fear the feeling is more in my head as it was only noticeably ok when I stopped to assist a lady and wasn't focusing on myself and my woes. Another 4 miler.

Thursday - dinner and celebrations.

Friday - Rest day, ob. No I did a runmute home and absoluely loved it. I was dreading it but had a puncture and jobs to do so I went off with my little RSA drawstring back and ran home the long way. I have to say I really enjoyed it. I felt like a real runner with my bag, so busy and important. I was delighted with this experience. 7.2 miles @ 9:06.

Saturday - St Anne's parkrun.
    Laura reached her 50th parkrun milestone so embraced the red feather boa this time.
    Anna had wanted a sub 25 attempt but neither were feeling up to it so we steadily pushed as we went along. Delighted as always to help Anna.
    I finally have 25 volunteer credits.

19.7 miles for the week.

Massive post, you're welcome.

Nov 13-19

Monday evening usual 4 mile loop. I thought it would be dreadful as so dark and depressing out but yet again I really enjoyed it. It was wet out but didn't rain. Took it easy on the surface and enjoyed the run. I felt strong and comfortable throughout. 4.11 @ 9:26.

Tuesday - Club day and I actually went.

Ran from D9 to D3 to meet Murph_D. From cycling home after 5 to running at 6 the weather had changed but it was ok on the way down. 3.34 miles to the track @ 9:34.
    Didn't fully participate in the group warmup but did 3 strides, the track was slippy.
    Session was Fartlek and then 4*300 with 100 active recovery. A rest and drink if required and then 4*200 with 100 active recovery. All was going well up until these.
    I enjoy the farklek as don't find it too taxing, same with the 300's but a shock then with the 200 as people flew off.

Looking at Garmin maybe it was 3*300 as otherwise I'm missing a split, quite possible. I should have brought a spare top with me so will next time.

1 01:17 0.2
    3 01:16 0.19
    5 01:05 0.18
    8 00:39 0.12
    10 00:40 0.13
    12 00:40 0.12
    14 00:44 0.13

Tired plod home then again with D so another 3.52 miles @9:48. Turned on ankle after leaving D so was definitely tired and picked feet up after that so I wouldn't do damage.

Minimal stretching done so was achy overnight, definitely need to improve but I was cold when I got home so the shower took priority.

I have entered Raheny and am considering the Fat Turkey.

• Advertisement

Me again, busy week for updates. Don't worry as this won't always be the case.

Wednesday was a beautiful day and especially evening. Decided not to run though and go for a swim instead as a few aches of late. I had to ring the gym to see if it was still open as we haven't been in so long. Turns out the refurbishment is postponed so off we went.

I did a nice and easy 20 lengths and enjoyed it. Could feel the body easing and stretching as a result. Float in the Jacuzzi afterwards.

Thursday - Tempo attempt.

I had decided to give this a go and set the watch up earlier in the day. Any excuse to get out of it of course so when Anna heard I was running I jumped on the chance to skip it. By the time I got home she had dumped me for a run with Denis, huh.

I got to the end of the road and realised I had set the watch up wrong. I was going to head back but if I had done that I would have completely abandoned it.

I had wanted a warm-up, hit lap button and run a mile at 7:06-7:45, one minute rest and repeat by 2 followed by a cooldown.

What happened was that it got the warm-up and run for a mile and rest bit right but then went into cooldown mode so had to start the session again, skip to the 1m pace and ignore the rest and cooldown so apologies for the Strava confusion and uploads.

I really didn't think I was able as I climbed up Mobhi road to Ballymum but would give it a go anyway.

I thought the watch was broken for the mile as it didn't beep at me once so hit the target pace bang on. Was very pleased when I looked at the watch and it seemed to be working. Pace felt ok but I was generous with my tempo pace 7:05-7:45. I hit the first mile avg pace of 7:34.

I took my minute rest but jogged it and went through my workout, skipped warm-up and set off again. A lot of watch beeping on this one and PITA students blocking the footpath outside DCU. I kept going, realised I wasn't hurting and pushed. Second mile @ 7:44.

Again more messing with the watch and again this way was much easier on me so completed the mile avg pace of 7:32. Mile too must be more of a climb.

Pleased to have attempted it at least and mostly succeeded, one fail was the watch. I have changed it so it is 3 miles at pace and no one minute rest in between so hopefully try that next week.

The time flew by and very happy to see over 6 miles completed for the evening.

I have finally signed up for a pilates class as banging on about it for months. It starts on Wed and unfortunately looks like we won't make the first week.

Hopefully a parkrun in the morning to complete the weeks running. So far 19.8 miles for the week.

Happy weekend!

Ya might consider the Trim 10 miles in the New Year..........

*Runs for cover!!!

Ya might consider the Trim 10 miles in the New Year..........

*Runs for cover!!!

Ha, if there are still entries after you told all your friends!

10 miles has always been my favourite distance to race but it's just one week after Raheny so unlikely.

Unless people think otherwise?

Unless people think otherwise?

One or the other, as you suspect. For your marathon prep you’d be looking at a 10 miler or maybe a half around end of April.

Murph_D wrote: »
    One or the other, as you suspect. For your marathon prep you’d be looking at a 10 miler or maybe a half around end of April.

There is a Cobh 10 mile April 29th but long way to go. Brian Boru maybe on again this year, twisty course but local. Sure we'll see if the marathon prep starts.

Last run last week was Saturday morning. I ran down to Fairview and wasn't looking forward to the course as I don't enjoy the multiple surfaces and it's a tough course.

Small crowd there on the morning. I did 2.1 miles to the start and didn't know what I was going for on the morning so just eased into it. It's down the main path, turn off and then onto grass which saps my legs.

I had forgotten to hit lap when I started the run so just let it tick on from my warm-up rather than messing further. First mileish came in at 7:48.

Second mile I passed a girl on the grass which surprised me and thought that put me into first female but was taken over by another girl, the only one to pass me for the duration. I kept at it and passing men at a steady pace. Second mile 7:44.

Third mile then I kept catching up and loosing the girl ahead. She was a great runner. Halfway along the main path to the river on the 3rd loop the girl tied her shoelace, ha ha. I'm first. DFIU and HTFU time now as stomach was starting to go and a hill yet to get over for the third time. Up the hill and spotted a woman well in front, sake. Hadn't seen her once but then a female cough from behind had me in a fast finish and belt across the line in 7:35. Bit of dry retching, thanking volunteers and a token number of 21. Was well pleased with myself. Spoke to the two women I'd passed and then one who won who were all well younger so was delighted with myself as the roundest of them all too. Results had 1st in age category but a time of 24:02 so a PB on that course anyway and was very happy as dinner and drinks on Friday night.

Ran then back up to Drumcondra from a delicious breakfast for over 7 miles for the morning.

Highest mileage since injury with 26.88 miles for the week.

All suspiciously quiet around here this week, I'm well you'll be delighted to hear.

Monday 20th.

Lunchtime class in work of push-up's/planks/sit-ups/squats with bands. Sweaty and enjoyable. Felt much better after it.

Now we know the gym is still open we headed up. I ended up gently swimming a KM so was delighted with that. Lovely and easy with many breaks but enjoyable. Not as stiff as last week.

Slept like the dead.

Tuesday - Club day.

Met Denis and ran down to the club. I found the session very enjoyable.
    It was 400m with 200 active recovery. Repeat that. Take a rest.

Grand, very enjoyable. I still like 400'.

I lead the first 400 and the last. The second last was a challenge as I was following behind the leader who sped off. I was being chased and refused to give up on the windy home stretch so delighted and we both enjoyed the chase.

After that we had time for 200'. This was then 200 with 100 active recovery and repeat.

1 01:33.4 0.25
    3 01:40.6 0.25
    7 01:36.6 0.26
    9 01:52.1 0.26
    13 01:28.7 0.24
    15 01:31.1 0.25
    17 00:47.4 0.13
    19 00:45.8 0.13

Tired plod home with Denis so for the evening 10 miles. Not bad going.

Wednesday the weather was shocking but I had a night out planned so the bike was left at home. A very enjoyable dinner and concert.

Thursday - Anna day, yes she's back.

Easy running around D3 and D9. It was cold but once feet warmed up it was great going. 6.52 miles @ 9:54.

Tomorrow I'm pacing for St Anne's 28 minutes.

Tuesday is the TT and have missed the last few so looking forward to it. Hopefully a pacer will be provided this time so I'm not the one hunted down again.

Major catch-up yet again but amazing things happening here.

Will start with Saturday 25th November as it was pacer Saturday at St Anne's. I was the 28 minute pacer and all went well. Was ahead of time but one girl got a PB so pleased with that. Effort was grand and even with the cold and frost on the ground the knee was ok. Covered 7.1 miles @9:11 for the morning.

An exciting development is that I reached out and now have a coach.

I had been thinking about what to do for Cork and even though the knee is mostly ok I didn't think I'd have the confidence to push myself though a plan so I asked for help. The first week plan was to continue as is up until the TT on Tuesday and see from there.

Sunday seemed to be a rest day so 23.7 miles for the week. I had wanted a short run as only ran 3 days that week and they were all substantial mileage days but didn't make it out Sunday anyway.

Monday 27/11 - New plan so start the week with a rest day. Achieved.

Tuesday 28/11 - TT day.
    I had been looking forward to this and confident(ish).

Met up with D and ran over to the club. I had asked if he would mind pacing us and am very grateful he did.

We set off, see D's log for pacing details. I was going well for the first 4 laps and had to hold back. Started to notice I was losing them on the corners but could catch up again, even though I was hugging the inside. With 3 and a bit laps to go they seemed to shoot off and I couldn't catch up. Kept going and regretting my chocolate motivation then from the afternoon but crossed the line and am allowed graduate to the next group.

I was annoyed for a few hours that I fell off pace but I was then very pleased as the first mile was 6:54 and second 7:00, how could I not be pleased with that as it's a massive improvement from my last one in August and nearly a minute faster. Got over myself and realised that was great and I deserved to graduate. Just need to find a group that I don't flog myself in.

Wed - rest was the plan but went for a run with a colleague and covered 5.3 miles at 9:27. New easy running pace 9:15-9:45. I had to shove my 4 days running in this week as heading away Friday morning.

Thursday - something new day.

15 min easy, 40 min progression (20 min at 8.45, 10 min @8.30, 10 min @8.10) 15min easy

First pace was good, second harder to maintain, 3rd mostly ok. Ad hoc route worked. Insides not pleased. Happy overall.

I was given this earlier in the week and thought grand. It was only when P pointed out how difficult it would be doing the faster rep after already covering 45 minutes before that.

Started to get the dread on the warm-up and didn't think I'd be able. Had no route in mind just whatever worked out with lights.

The first set of 20 I hit the pace ok and it averaged at 8:48.

Second 10 minute slot was 8:36 and much trickier to hit.

The last was 8:09 so surprised with that.

Unpleasant happenings enroute which you know wasn't nice but sure session done anyway.

Covered 7.7 miles in 1:10 at 9:01.

Friday we flew to Amsterdam and it's an amazing place so would highly recommend.

Saturday - WE GOT ENGAGED!

Sunday - I left my Finacé in bed and headed off around Vondelpark and Rembrandpark. Really enjoyed Vondelpark. Covered 9.2 miles in 1:26 at 9:23 so v pleased with that as you can imagine.

Big week then and with a massive 32 miles.

Dec 4-10.
    Life got in the way. Was given a plan and only one real chance to run so ran to work on Thursday morning and it was even barely as per the plan but good to do.
    Wedding in the West and a lot of driving so no other chance to run.
    Knocked a Mayo parkrun on the head on Saturday morning as needed a rest. Woke with a very swollen eye on Friday morning so emergency Dr trip as had an infection. Still tired as busy so nothing wrong with a rest.

Heading over to the track later with D so hope conditions are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats again! I imagine there will be more cases of "life getting in the way" as the wedding plans take shape :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Congrats on your engagement!

Congrats A, raging I missed that run with you now!!!

• Advertisement

Wow! Congratulations, what fantastic news!!!

Congrats again! I imagine there will be more cases of "life getting in the way" as the wedding plans take shape :)
    Planning? That's a job for next year. Bidding going on for who gets to organise it :p
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Congrats on your engagement!
    Ah, thanks very much.
    Congrats A, raging I missed that run with you now!!!
    Eh, now your raging. Not when you couldn't make it? HUH.
    Thanks very much, thrilled as you can imagine.
    Wow! Congratulations, what fantastic news!!!
    FANTASTIC :D, THANK YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Congrats on your graduation, oh and on your engagement, too! Lovely news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Major catch-up yet again but amazing things happening here.

Saturday - WE GOT ENGAGED!

Congratulations! I was not expecting that news from the start of your post, hilarious that you detailed everything about your sessions up til then! Lovely news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

You achieved a first for me - it was the first time I've heard of a major life event over Strava :)

Congrats again. Cya on the middle lanes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Congratulations A!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wohoooooo congratulations A, delighted for you :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Big congrats to you and your partner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Congratulations! Great news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Woh woh :) congrats

Advertisement