Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP service pack question

Options
  • 27-01-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi - would any one know what is the sequence of service packs I need to download to restore an old laptop which is windows xp with service pack 0.0

I tried downloading service pack 2 (to a usb pod) and then tried installing it on but it wouldn't work - came back with a message about hotfix not working as it needed sp 1.

(The laptop is an old one that had to be restored to factory settings. I had thought the recovery disk would have had service pack 1 but it doesn't seem to have had it)

Would be very grateful for any advice / suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can you not just download SP1?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=19751

There are other light weight and modern operating systems that you could install. Ubuntu is the main one off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Service pack 1
    www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19751
    Just download to desktop and install from there.
    Then do the same for 2 and 3.

I thought once you had 1 installed you could go straight to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I wouldnt use XP on an internet-facing machine these days to be honest, but what the people above said!

I would advise you to try a Linux distro such as Lubuntu. Runs fast and is perfect for browsing and general use, plus is fully supported. XP is out of support now so much more vulnerable to viruses and identity theft than a supported OS would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. My problem is the laptop itself is not connected to the internet, so I am having to download Service Pack to a usb pod on another computer , bring it home and then try installing it on the laptop. It didn't work last evening :( So I shall try Ubuntu this evening. I am a total novice / amateur, so any advice or suggestions on step by step ways to do it would be most welcome.

No bother, everyone was a novice at some point! There's an installation guide for Lubuntu here, it really is very simple.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/InstallingLubuntu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

Lubuntu also has the advantage of being very lightweight. Has the added advantage that you can try it in "live" mode to get a feel for it before installing.

Indeed. For a machine thats only needed for basic usage, Lubuntu is excellent. What exactly do you need the machine for, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Indeed. For a machine thats only needed for basic usage, Lubuntu is excellent. What exactly do you need the machine for, OP?

Really basic web surfing - facebook, boards, and to be able to book some flights, bus and train tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

mikedublin wrote: »
    Really basic web surfing - facebook, boards, and to be able to book some flights, bus and train tickets.

Good stuff Mike, Lubuntu will do you proud and has the advantage of being constantly updated!

mikedublin wrote: »

Thats ideal for Lubuntu then. I really would strongly advise you to avoid Windows XP - its not updated anymore, so is an easy target for malware. Lubuntu would be perfect for an XP machine. Let me know if you get into difficulties and I'll try and help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement