Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 marathons in 100 days

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

In fairness I think they totally underestimated the manpower needed to logistically put together 100 events on consecutive days. Running 100 consecutive marathons is the easy bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

eoinín wrote: »
    Why not go and run with them (or him) one of the days if this is bothering you.
    at the rate they are gettin faster,itl be up to my 5k pace by friday....,i know of two people who went to run and and couldnt find them on the phenoix park route ...its not bothering me,we are just discussing it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Observations / Questions ?

If I have this right ....

Two lads with little to none endurance running experience undertake a massive endeavour. Much scepticism amongst the experienced ultra runners of the community in regards to the training itself and how feasible the task is.

Huge fanfare made about 15 organised events as part of the 100. Big money donations being asked to participate but you get a medal and t shirt for your money. The events that were "nailed down" being organised by the group themselves cancelled at short notice due to permission problems from the likes of OPW etc People in the know were saying long before it was announced at short notice that this was happening. Large group in Balbriggan majorly let down with a cancellation of their marathon which was moved to a self supported race in the Phoenix park instead. T shirt and medal still available at 25 quid each and please think of the charity before asking for a refund.

The marathons begin. A few done with much fanfare and then tbe Bermuda triangle effect comes into play. Watches start running out of power / break / battery issues and gps data can no longer be provided.

Open invite to join the runs proves difficult as lads set off at different times and then can't be found at all. One eventually admits to being injured and unable to run. Hopefully back in a few days.

Meanwhile the other lad sadly with no watch gets faster and faster posting videos at the end of each day claiming x time today. The first marathon in the series being piggy backed on (organised not by the group but an existing marathon being ran with chip timing etc) takes 2 hours longer than the other runs of that week where sadly no GPS watch was available to track.

People questioning how the funds are distributed claim to have comments deleted and blocked on facebook page etc. No criticism allowed - against the spirit of the charity endeavour.

Have I got any of that wrong ?

Two lads with little to none endurance running experience undertake a massive endeavour. Much scepticism amongst the experienced ultra runners of the community in regards to the training itself and how feasible the task is.

Huge fanfare made about 15 organised events as part of the 100. Big money donations being asked to participate but you get a medal and t shirt for your money. The events that were "nailed down" being organised by the group themselves cancelled at short notice due to permission problems from the likes of OPW etc People in the know were saying long before it was announced at short notice that this was happening. Large group in Balbriggan majorly let down with a cancellation of their marathon which was moved to a self supported race in the Phoenix park instead. T shirt and medal still available at 25 quid each and please think of the charity before asking for a refund.

The marathons begin. A few done with much fanfare and then tbe Bermuda triangle effect comes into play. Watches start running out of power / break / battery issues and gps data can no longer be provided.

Open invite to join the runs proves difficult as lads set off at different times and then can't be found at all. One eventually admits to being injured and unable to run. Hopefully back in a few days.

Meanwhile the other lad sadly with no watch gets faster and faster posting videos at the end of each day claiming x time today. The first marathon in the series being piggy backed on (organised not by the group but an existing marathon being ran with chip timing etc) takes 2 hours longer than the other runs of that week where sadly no GPS watch was available to track.

People questioning how the funds are distributed claim to have comments deleted and blocked on facebook page etc. No criticism allowed - against the spirit of the charity endeavour.

just looked up the word "accurate synopsis" in the dictionary...was directed to ur post

Edit..garmin stats have just become available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ultraman1 wrote: »
    just looked up the word "accurate synopsis" in the dictionary...was directed to ur post

Edit..garmin stats have just become available

Well that will certainly help things. Where are they ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

I'm open to correct here but they could have 100 watches and manually set the date and time therefore technically do 100 marathons on one day or do them anytime of the day and therefore on a bike or car and punch in a morning time.

There's plenty of loop holes in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

P.S. you missed the bit about eating raw eggs, straight from the shell :pac:

And no worries if you missed 9 marathons out of the first 21, sure it was never about the marathons was it?

Despite all of that they are still getting loads of support from their RSP/MCI buddies, no questions asked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

menoscemo wrote: »
    P.S. you missed the bit about eating raw eggs, straight from the shell :pac:

And no worries if you missed 9 marathons out of the first 21, sure it was never about the marathons was it?

Despite all of that they are still getting loads of support from their RSP/MCI buddies, no questions asked ;)

Is it just fundraising or an attempt at some type of record also?
    Reason I ask is that Stevie's Marathons are all suspiciously 26.2 on the dot, presume the routes are not certified?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Reason I ask is that Stevie's Marathons are all suspiciously 26.2 on the dot, presume the routes are not certified?

Nit picking here, but 26.2m is not a marathon. The proper distance is 26 miles and 385 yards. 385 yards is 0.21875 of a mile, so he should be running 26.21875 or 26.22 to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It can only be about fundraising because those marathons are definitely not eligible for record purposes.

Even if he runs a true marathon a day, he would have to provide clear proof with witnesses and other paperwork for them to be counted. As he is not doing that, fundraising can be the only aim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'd say with 21 under his belt, he has the racing line pretty well memorized by now :rolleyes:.

The charity (or foundation) seems to be very vague in what exactly its cause it:
    the sole purpose of assisting children and teenagers realise their limitless potential for growth and expansion. To aid them in raising their consciousness to higher levels allowing access to greater knowledge and understanding. To help bring to their awareness, their inherent ability to realise dreams and goals beyond the reach of social conditioning.
    Self awareness, reunion of mind, body and spirit, physical & emotional health, a greater understanding of human potential and a holistic approach to healing and maintaining of wellbeing in children are at the core of Foundation’s aims.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

If it looks like a crock of sh1t and smells like a crock of sh1t it rarely turns out to be anything but!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I'd like to believe Stevey is doing the running he claims to be and that the money is going to a worthy charity... But at this stage the lads really need someone to step in and look after their P.R. When I first saw the very professional looking website for this a few months ago, I thought it was going to be some amazing, professional festival of running - people would be chatting about it, we'd be hearing daily updates on the Ray Darcy show, etc. Sort of like Gerry Duffy's 36 in 36 a few years ago. Instead it has really failed to grasp the attention of the general public, leaving only the running community to watch on. But as valid questions on here and on their FB page are being ignored, the lads are losing any credibility & support they may have got from fellow runners... I still think there's loads of time to turn this around and get some good publicity / raise more funds, but they'd want to start answering questions quickly enough. I don't think the lads would want to be interviewed on the radio on the eve of their 100th marathon with so many doubts still floating around the running community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

eoinín wrote: »
    I'd like to believe Stevey is doing the running he claims to be and that the money is going to a worthy charity... But at this stage the lads really need someone to step in and look after their P.R. When I first saw the very professional looking website for this a few months ago, I thought it was going to be some amazing, professional festival of running - people would be chatting about it, we'd be hearing daily updates on the Ray Darcy show, etc. Sort of like Gerry Duffy's 36 in 36 a few years ago. Instead it has really failed to grasp the attention of the general public, leaving only the running community to watch on. But as valid questions on here and on their FB page are being ignored, the lads are losing any credibility & support they may have got from fellow runners... I still think there's loads of time to turn this around and get some good publicity / raise more funds, but they'd want to start answering questions quickly enough. I don't think the lads would want to be interviewed on the radio on the eve of their 100th marathon with so many doubts still floating around the running community.

32 in 32 Gerry and Ken Whitelaw ran as in counties of Ireland. That was planned and executed with logistic precision. No questions or doubts overshadowed that project but it must have taken enormous time and resources, in fact I know it did because I read the book. This 100 in 100 is pie in the sky Max Clifford even before his disgrace could not put a positive pr spin on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

ultrapercy wrote: »
    32 in 32

Well spotted! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Are the two lads now running in different locations to each other?

If the lads actually end up running 26 miles a day for a hundred days and raise money for charity then fair play to them, but the organisation/marketing of this appears to be a shambles!

TbL

Are the two lads now running in different locations to each other?

If the lads actually end up running 26 miles a day for a hundred days and raise money for charity then fair play to them, but the organisation/marketing of this appears to be a shambles!

TbL
    seems that way,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

seems that way,

If that's the case UM this whole endeavour is sliding towards the farcical

TbL

Lads are gettin faster now ...Larry's first sub 4 and stevey did 3:34...now changed from 100 marathons in 100 days to 100 marathons from xx of May untill 29 August(or whatever 100 days is)..Larry has missed 9 due to injury

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I looked wrecked at the weekend and I did 10 miles. With their pictures, they look like the just changed into their running gear. Would have gone looking for them on Friday in the curragh, but I was away. Has anyone else ran with them, or seen them run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

beertons wrote: »
    I looked wrecked at the weekend and I did 10 miles. With their pictures, they look like the just changed into their running gear. Would have gone looking for them on Friday in the curragh, but I was away. Has anyone else ran with them, or seen them run?

I'll refer you to an earlier post in this thread:
    If it looks like a crock of sh1t and smells like a crock of sh1t it rarely turns out to be anything but!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Lads are gettin faster now ...Larry's first sub 4 and stevey did 3:34...now changed from 100 marathons in 100 days to 100 marathons from xx of May untill 29 August(or whatever 100 days is)..Larry has missed 9 due to injury

Was looking at results from Quadrathon and noticed Stevey's 4 marathon times

03:13:08, 03:08:43,03:12:22 & 03:04:38

That is really good running! I think initially people may have been a bit skeptical about this but no denying the consistency of these runs. Looks like they only have a couple of weeks to go. Their website isn't much use. Any one know where they plan on running their final marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was looking at results from Quadrathon and noticed Stevey's 4 marathon times

03:13:08, 03:08:43,03:12:22 & 03:04:38

That is really good running! I think initially people may have been a bit skeptical about this but no denying the consistency of these runs. Looks like they only have a couple of weeks to go. Their website isn't much use. Any one know where they plan on running their final marathon?

Yeah, they are incredible times considering he had a PB of something like 3;40 coming into this adventure, 85 odd Marathons in the legs and the fact that those courses are apparently the toughest you'll find in Ireland.
    Fair play to Stevey he definitely seems to have a massive talent for this kind of thing and I'd be interested to see what he can do for a standalone Marathon once he gets this out of the legs.

They seem to have a few events lined up from watching their videos. One in Mullingar with Gerry Duffy next weekend and the final one in Gosford Park Armagh on the 29th https://www.facebook.com/events/1639193659696016/

FWIW I am not sure how many Marathons Larry has done but He has had to drop out 3 or 4 times it seems with injuries and illnesses.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, they are incredible times considering he had a PB of something like 3;40 coming into this adventure, 85 odd Marathons in the legs and the fact that those courses are apparently the toughest you'll find in Ireland.
    Fair play to Stevey he definitely seems to have a massive talent for this kind of thing and I'd be interested to see what he can do for a standalone Marathon once he gets this out of the legs.

They seem to have a few events lined up from watching their videos. One in Mullingar with Gerry Duffy next weekend and the final one in Gosford Park Armagh on the 29th https://www.facebook.com/events/1639193659696016/

FWIW I am not sure how many Marathons Larry has done but He has had to drop out 3 or 4 times it seems with injuries and illnesses.
    Fair focks to stevey,didnt think he had it in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

There's a background piece on Stevey in the Belfast Telegraph today though they spelt his name wrong: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/armagh-dad-and-exhard-drinker-stevie-mcgeown-to-tackle-100-marathons-in-100-days-31474650.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gilly29

anywhere you can find the list of marathons and times?

gilly29 wrote: »
    anywhere you can find the list of marathons and times?

Not yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gilly29

the longer it went on the less information there seemed to be..

Advertisement