Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer on Mac

Options
  • 27-01-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Just wondering if its possible to run Internet Explorer on a MacBook Pro? I need IE (and Java I think) to run my online business banking. It's not possible to do it on any other browser apart from IE.

Thanks,

Helena

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Microsoft stop making IE for Mac OS long ago. Your best option is either run Windows in a virtual machine with something like VirtualBox or Bootcamp your Mac and run Windows that way.

There are lots of threads on here about people who can't use BOI Business banking on a Mac so you're in good company.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to run Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac.
    Personally I really like Parallels desktop, but there are other options ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Asking whether you can run IE on a Mac is like asking if you can infect a human with myxomatosis. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Asking whether you can run IE on a Mac is like asking if you can infect a human with myxomatosis. :eek:

Unfortunately at least one major bank still requires IE for their business banking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Parallels or VMware Fusion will both allow you to run a windows virtual machine on your mac (unlike Blacknight, I'm more partial to VMware myself). There's also the option of installing Crossover, which will allow you to run Windows applications. I'm not sure if it will give you the full IE support that you need, but a trial version is available which you can download and test, before committing to purchasing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Blacknight wrote: »
    Unfortunately at least one major bank still requires IE for their business banking :(

Well I guess we know where the next banking crisis will originate :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

Hi,

Just wondering if its possible to run Internet Explorer on a MacBook Pro? I need IE (and Java I think) to run my online business banking. It's not possible to do it on any other browser apart from IE.

Thanks,

Helena

Hi Helena,

I would suggest using Boot Camp to install Windows alongside OS X. You'll need a DVD of Windows 7 or 8 (or an ISO image of Windows), and a USB stick, if you call Apple they can talk you through the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi Helena,

I would suggest using Boot Camp to install Windows alongside OS X. You'll need a DVD of Windows 7 or 8 (or an ISO image of Windows), and a USB stick, if you call Apple they can talk you through the steps.

It's worth pointing out to the OP that if she decides to use bootcamp to install windows, then she will have to reboot her mac into windows in order to use IE, then reboot back into OS X once she's finished - that may not be convenient for her.

Using VMWare will allow her to have both OS X programs and IE open at the same time, without rebooting, and will allow her to switch seamlessly between both (cut n' paste, printing, etc) which may be more suitable to her needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

mike_ie wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out to the OP that if she decides to use bootcamp to install windows, then she will have to reboot her mac into windows in order to use IE, then reboot back into OS X once she's finished - that may not be convenient for her.

Using VMWare will allow her to have both OS X programs and IE open at the same time, without rebooting, and will allow her to switch seamlessly between both (cut n' paste, printing, etc) which may be more suitable to her needs.

The downside being that if it goes titsup she'll be at the mercy of VMWare / Parallels Tech Support... make no mistake I think a virtual machine is a great idea if you are comfortable setting one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 helenaisabelle

Thanks for all the advice guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement