Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts with sound

Options
  • 27-01-2015 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just opened the "Photo Challenge" forum and the advert at the bottom of the page started playing at full volume.

Luckily I'm at home but had I been somewhere quiet or at work this would have been very embarrasing.

I've never had this happen on boards before. Is it a new policy? Sites that play adverts with sound automatically are a huge bug bear of mine and if boards is adopting it as policy I suspect I will be using it a lot less.

So just to sum up my feedback: Please do not have sound automatically engaged on the advertisements. It is very annoying.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We've been looking at this all morning, it is absolutely a hard no for us from our ads, but tracking it down isn't easy. Can you supply any links if you see one again so we can weed them out?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

No it is not a new policy at all. We noticed a couple of them here in the office over the past hour or so and are trying to track them down to kill them - we don't like them either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just got an audio ad for Durex skin-on-skin condoms in the computer Building & Upgrading forum of all places, and initially I couldn't even figure out where the damn sound was coming from!

Definitely would make boards a no-go area for work! (I need sound in work...thankfully at home this morning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I had a lot of tabs open so it took me a while to find it. But it was definitely on the "Photo Challenge" main page.

I can't remember what the first ad was for - might have been washing powder of some type.

An ad for Nurofen for Kids was playing (with sound) by the time I found the tab.

That's really all the info I have!!! SOrry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

A dettol ad and then an airline ad started on me with sound there about 5 mins ago....sorry missed the link it did pop-up in the address bar when I clicked on the ad but I missed it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Got these three times in the last 5 mins, lucky I had my headphones plugged in, the volume is up full on them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Getting them on the AH homepage.

s1.postimg.org/hby8dfycv/aa1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Got an 11 minute ad when I edited a post: link on ad.

337131.png

copied a link on top of the ad: link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

Why are the wrong type of ads a constant problem?

Can ye not crack some skulls with the ad crowd? Play liam Neeson down the phone to them or something!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just put Gordon on to them, they'd stop quick-smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

just got one there too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    Why are the wrong type of ads a constant problem?

Can ye not crack some skulls with the ad crowd? Play liam Neeson down the phone to them or something!

The ad-crowd (or at least part of it), is Google. They're kinda bigger than boards and hard to ring up. Individual advertisers have to be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Nurofen" is a another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

To be honest - if ads like this can sneak onto Boards, there's little stopping ads with malware sneaking on either; this is why I use AdBlock, as it actually protects you from malware.

If a site doesn't have strict control over the ads that are shown, then it's not really fair on the site users to put them at risk of potential malware; there is precedent of this with AdSense.

Advertisement