Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signing up to eCollege courses

• 27-01-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Hey.

My brother attended one of those Intreo / Activation meetings this morning. He had a few online courses in mind in addition to doing part-time and voluntary work.

The person he met with didn't know how to sign him up to the eCollege courses of his choosing and suggested doing 'similar' (realistically the only similarity is that they're both computer based) courses somewhere else, not online.

This doesn't really suit him because he already has part time and voluntary work lined up, and now he's worried that he'll be forced into doing a course that's of no relevance to his interests and won't be of benefit to him in trying to find full time employment.

Who are you supposed to speak to in order to get signed up for such online courses? He was given BTEA forms to fill in but was under the impression that you could retain the normal jobseekers payment while completing online courses and volunteering.

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Does he need the case officer to sign him up to the online course? Can he apply himself? Once he has applied he can show his case officer that he is already undertaking a course. In relation to BTEA....if hes doing an online course that does not affect his ability to be available and looking for full time work and he doesnt have to attend in person then he doesnt need to complete a BTEA form. He should notify his sw office and just give details of the course showing that hes doesnt have to attend that its distance learning. In relation to voluntary work he will need to apply to his sw office for permission to undertake this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thanks for the reply, EB! I'll pass all of that on to him.

I did a bit of looking around myself and as far as I can tell it's an employment services officer that needs to make initial contact with the learning center or website or whatever.
    3. How do I register for a course?

If you are paying for a course you can Complete the online registration form. Courses are free of charge to unemployed clients. You can discuss course options and register for a course by visiting your local employment services office.

http://www.ecollege.ie/moodle/mod/page/view.php?id=3#3

I have no idea whether the person that he met with today was an employment services officer or not tbh. I know that he was called up for the interview and attended a group meeting last week or the week before, so I presume they are.

He's already been cleared to do the voluntary work since its only 2-3 hours per week. He said he filled in a form anyway!

Ah I think he's just a bit stressed out by the whole thing and panicking a bit... he's only been unemployed for 3-4 months and doesn't want to be seen as someone who isn't striving. Mainly he's freaked out about being compelled to do something he doesn't want to do just for the sake of it. He had to sign some agreement or other with the person he met with today and isn't entirely sure about what he may have committed to :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Its an employment service officer he met with today, they are also called case officers. They will probably make contact again with him or maybe he should contact them and ask them about signing him up for the course. I presume he got a copy of what he signed today...if not tell him to ask for one.

Advertisement