Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My partner can't apply for jobsbridge cause I earn too much

• 27-01-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

So my partner has been unemployed since September and has just been refused social welfare benefits because he has never worked, we live together and I earn too much.

He has a masters in applied social research and has applied for all the job openings in Dublin for research assistant (the job they are qualified to do) and has been refused because all of the other candidates have experience he doesn't. The only remaining jobs are all jobsbridge jobs.

If he didn't live with me he would be able to apply for those jobs, but he doesn't qualify. Should we break up so that he can get a job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

You say he never worked but has only been unemployed since September?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EvaLittleThing

You say he never worked but has only been unemployed since September?

Yeah he graduated from his masters in september

Yeah he graduated from his masters in september

Ok im guessing your guy is in his early twenties? So even if he was living separately to you and qualified for JSA then he would only get €100/€144 tops plus €50 Jobridge. How would he manage to pay rent/utilities buy food etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If there are suitable internships on jobsbridge I'd contact the company directly and offer my services explaining that he doesn't qualify. It's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Why didnt he just say you are his housemate

• Advertisement

ohbygod wrote: »
    Why didnt he just say you are his housemate

Fraud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Who gets into their 20s having never had a job, even just a part time retail gig or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Fraud?

I suppose it is but there not married

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Who gets into their 20s having never had a job, even just a part time retail gig or something.

I never worked until I graduated, never had to

eviltwin wrote: »
    If there are suitable internships on jobsbridge I'd contact the company directly and offer my services explaining that he doesn't qualify. It's worth a try.

This is the most sensible option

• Advertisement

ohbygod wrote: »
    I suppose it is but there not married

Married cohabiting it doesn't make any difference. They are co-dependent.

jaymcg91 wrote: »

It's an unfortunate consequence of the Celtic Tiger years. To me, part-time hardwork while in full time education is an important necessary requisite for healthy complete personal development.
    That first nasty Supervisor is really doing you a big favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EvaLittleThing

Married cohabiting it doesn't make any difference. They are co-dependent.

I don't think co-dependent means what you think it means, but yes, it would be fraud, plus we live in a single bed appartment and they check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Hi,

So my partner has been unemployed since September and has just been refused social welfare benefits because he has never worked, we live together and I earn too much.

He has a masters in applied social research and has applied for all the job openings in Dublin for research assistant (the job they are qualified to do) and has been refused because all of the other candidates have experience he doesn't. The only remaining jobs are all jobsbridge jobs.

If he didn't live with me he would be able to apply for those jobs, but he doesn't qualify. Should we break up so that he can get a job?

As far as I can see he should qualify if he is signing for credits. If he isn't signing for those, he probably should be.

From the jobbridge website:

'To be eligible for a place as an intern you must have a live claim and be currently in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance/ Jobseekers Benefit/ Jobseeker Transition Payment/ One Parent Family Payment/ Disability Allowance or signing for Social Insurance Contribution Credits for 3 months (78 days) or more in the last 6 months'.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobBridge-Interns.aspx#q3

I don't think co-dependent means what you think it means, but yes, it would be fraud, plus we live in a single bed appartment and they check.

As far as DSP are concerned you are a family and as such they expect you to support one another. They havecdecided that according to their rules you have enough income to support your partner. He could apply to sign for credits if at any stage after he commenced his 3rd level education he took up insurable employment. If he signs for credits he will qualify for JOBRIDGE soon and be entitled to €50 per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

emeldc wrote: »
    As far as I can see he should qualify if he is signing for credits. If he isn't signing for those, he probably should be.

From the jobbridge website:

'To be eligible for a place as an intern you must have a live claim and be currently in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance/ Jobseekers Benefit/ Jobseeker Transition Payment/ One Parent Family Payment/ Disability Allowance or signing for Social Insurance Contribution Credits for 3 months (78 days) or more in the last 6 months'.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/JobBridge-Interns.aspx#q3

If hes never worked then he never paid contributions and therefore will not be eligible for a credits claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

to get most jobs these days you NEED experience.... education doesn't always mean you are able to do the job.... even for sales assistant jobs employers ask for about 2 years experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

he could at least volunteer in businesses/area that he applied for jobs in. it's something to put on his cv.

Advertisement