Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic bargains - split into Irish and foreign?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you only interested in Classic bargains available in Ireland and would you like for the foreign Classic bargains to be in a separate thread?

Or would you keep all cars in the one thread as is now?

Note: this is a public poll - your choice will be visible to everyone.

This weeks Classic bargains - split into Irish and foreign? 30 votes

Split foreign cars into their own thread
    0%
    Keep all cars in the one thread
    60%
    RedrocketBlue850Nforceunfit2006nookieba_barabusjerrygquattro777JustjensTrollhättanCianDonchoo choo manJohn Larkinred seanjohnty56ben9195ht9zni1gs28crpThe Big Red Fella 18 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    40%
    alastairDadesCapricarlosfandangoDaveColjohn hanrahanBigusw124manTzar ChasmFiftyNineCleveland Hot PocketH.E. Pennypacker 12 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Atari Jaguar
    In case anyone is interested, I did a quick post check and over the last year the current thread has averaged 2.5 posts per day. Not convinced that's enough to warrant two threads, or that it's too arduous for people to scroll past links that don't interest them. Better one *busy* (using the term loosely) thread than two threads dropping off the front page.

Just my 2 cents - let the public speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Dades wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, I did a quick post check and over the last year the current thread has averaged 2.5 posts per day. Not convinced that's enough to warrant two threads, or that it's too arduous for people to scroll past links that don't interest them. Better one *busy* (using the term loosely) thread than two threads dropping off the front page.

Just my 2 cents - let the public speak!
    I can certainly see and appreciate this side of the argument. I'm not going to be blinkered about this.

I myself have posted links to cars in Ireland and the UK as I believe that the vast majority of people would have an interest in them and would possibly buy them.

The stuff from around the world in certainly interesting but I doubt a lot of people would go after them seriously.

I see the main thread as something people would try and buy and the rest is essentially dreamer stuff. Add to that there is many posts appearing in the classic cars for sale thread which have little or nothing to do with classic cars for sale with long rambling quotes in order to highlight a small segment.

I don't really think UNKEL should be forced to do much modding on this as we are a small enough group who post regularly who should be able to moderate ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Atari Jaguar
    Seeing as I seem to be to 'blame' for this , I'll give my angle - if I want to see stuff that's for sale here I'll go to DD, but I also like to see what's available overseas for comparison with what's being offered here (price/condition - when I bought my Merc I compared the UK/German price €9k with the Irish price of €15k, then out of the blue one came up here at €9.5k and I snapped it up - no trip necessary !). There's some South Africa/Ozzie/Kiwi/US stuff showing up so if someone's really interested/has someone in those parts then they'd like it as an option - or not ?? Certainly if there's a pristine yoke like the 420 Jag that spent most of it's life here, then it's an easier option to drive into town that flying overseas and shipping a classic back, but as I said I only highlighted the ad's for comparison before someone bought a rust bucket here/UK thinking there was no other option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Capri wrote: »
    Seeing as I seem to be to 'blame' for this
    Nobody is to blame. I'm making that clear from the start. This isn't a personal thing or an attack on any individual.

Back on topic. I find it annoying, it seems others do as well. Having said that I appreciate others may find it very enjoyable. I put the question out in public this morning to see what others think.

It's a small group of people here so rather people getting worked up over it and cause a fight among the small number of individuals can we just get an agreed consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Atari Jaguar
    I started this thread under my old username that got lost in the great boards hack.

It always contained classics from Ireland and international , that's the nature of chasing a particular model .

I started the thread because classics were being given away both here and the uk.

I put up cars that I genuinely would have bought with my own money.

I bought cars suggested here , particularly by Saab ED.

Bargains are short on the ground here and are making ridiculous money in the uk , hence lack of content in "this weeks classic bargain"

Some people came in for a chat , because it was the only classic thread updating regularly - what harm is a chat , we don't have a chat thread, and I don't want one. ( I don't object to one )

The thread is coming on 10,000 posts so perhaps a new thread and new title is due , however as the thread starter I say keep it international.

Ps I have a new stream of classic bargains found on the net , but I'm keeping that to myself for wee while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Atari Jaguar
    Looking back through the first few posts of this thread in late 2008 it was majority UK stuff with pistoheads being the first bargain advert, page one post one by me.
    Carandclassic next with done deal coming low in the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

There seems to be more international ads included in this thread of late and I usually just skip them. It is not unlike the situation with the "today I saw a classic" thread featuring cars seen on the internet. That situation was correctly dealt with in my opinion when the "internet cars" were featured on a separate thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Atari Jaguar
    unfit2006 wrote: »
    There seems to be more international ads included in this thread of late and I usually just skip them.
    With the way the Euro has gone recently that might change! Sterling prices are looking a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Right the poll closed yesterday and there is a majority in favour of a separate thread for foreign cars. So be it!

Advertisement