Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 2003 Professional anywhere?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm doing some work for a local primary school. One of the computers needs a complete reinstall. They have the original Windows XP (I know :p) but they cannot find their Office 2003 Professional cd. They have their VLK details in a folder but no cd :( I know that Microsoft have stopped supporting 2003 but at the minute the school cannot afford to upgrade their computers or software.

Does anybody know where I can legally get a copy of it for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's still available for download from your Microsoft VLSC account. (used to be eOpen) if you can identify the email address used to create it.

No sorry, I was wrong. It appears in the list, but "no downloads available for this product"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Maybe look at a free alternative, LibreOffice or Open Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I might still have a copy I'll have a look and if I find it I'll PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks FSL :)

@PropJoe - Don't think the open source office would be of any use unless the school changed all the computers. The teacher is showing the kids how to use some of the basic office progs and OO is totally different. Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

Office 2003 is completely out of date compared to the latest version anyway, so OpenOffice would nearly be a better option since the kids could get the same at home if they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ebay.

seriously ebay.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Disks found and all sorted :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

FanadMan wrote: »
    Disks found and all sorted :)

That'll do ye for now, but other than basics of word processing and excel usage, Microsoft Office 2003 is far behind the Microsoft Office suites out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

That'll do ye for now, but other than basics of word processing and excel usage, Microsoft Office 2003 is far behind the Microsoft Office suites out now.

At least you can be fairly sure that Office 2003 will start in the morning, and not lock you out of your files; unlike Office 2013 click to run streaming and internet demands that seems to frequently break and require repair.

To set-up a network deployed version is much more obscure and awkward for people without experienced IT resources. Who do microsoft think will show these schools the 'proper' way to purchase and set this stuff up?
    The Microsoft Documentation? pttf.

Advertisement