Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Sherlock' actor latest victim of political correctness witch-hunt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I seem to be hearing about the latest outrages via people outraged at the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So if I meet my mate back home whose skin is a different colour to mine what am I to do so as not to cause offence?

If i look at him will he think i'm racist. If I put out my hand to shake his will he think, oh yeah white boy, trying to prove you're not racist by looking like you care about years of slavery. I'm baffled here...

Anyhow Doc Brown knows that everything is racist...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

spikeS wrote: »
    If he used coloured yes he does,

No he doesn't.

Just about the only sensible thing that has been said in The Guardian's four separate stories about this non-story is that no one ever uses the word "coloured" as an insult or to cause offence. And that is all that should matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

No one actually believes anything like that.

Although in America the homeless fellow probably has the privilege of being less likely to be shot by the police.

I was clearly taking the piss but thinking about it I honestly wouldn't rule it out as a possibility for some people these days. After all, we do have white libs in America telling black police officers that they don't know about racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

No one actually believes anything like that.

Although in America the homeless fellow probably has the privilege of being less likely to be shot by the police.

He could be beaten to death though like Kelly Thomas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

mfceiling wrote: »
    So if I meet my mate back home whose skin is a different colour to mine what am I to do so as not to cause offence?

Avoid using words you know they'll find racially offensive.
    If you unwittingly use such a word without racist intent, just apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Meh. Minor enough, there was clearly no ill intent behind the words. The only people getting worked up about it are over sensitive ninnies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

spikeS wrote: »
    Person of colour is the most widely accepted correct term to use.

For now. In another few years The Professionally Offended will decide on something else you'll be nailed to the wall for using 'Person of Colour'. It's all a load of bollox, to be honest.

COYVB wrote: »
    Meh. Minor enough, there was clearly no ill intent behind the words. The only people getting worked up about it are over sensitive ninnies

And fedora wearing neckbeards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,705 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What are you on about...

Who is 'they'?

'They' of course are the same people whom as you said it is acceptable to describe a black person as black. I don't think they find it acceptable to refer to anyone as a 'retard'. If you're going to pull people up on their politically incorrect terminology, it's best to have your own house of political correctness in order first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Judging by the OP, it seems the only people getting worked up are the people who are trying to use this as an example of PC correctness gone mad. His / her level of outrage is way worse than the original outrage.

For now. In another few years The Professionally Offended will decide on something else you'll be nailed to the wall for using 'Person of Colour'. It's all a load of bollox, to be honest.

I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!

The Professionally Offended do. That way, when people do as they ask, they can shift the goalposts and be offended all over again. They fukking love it. And a few of them make a damn good living out of it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

So when I said to my mate you have a fair bit of colour after that holiday, I was actually racially abusing him?????

I am morto…..

You mean you're scarlet....oh dear!

The Professionally Offended do. That way, when people do as they ask, they can shift the goalposts and be offended all over again. They fukking love it. And a few of them make a damn good living out of it.

Next they'll want equality!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Je suis Cumberbitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

But who runs to these profesionally offended for a comment? Some lazy press people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

porsche959 wrote: »
    Ironically, I'm pretty sure that 'coloured' was first introduced as a means of avoiding causing offense in preference to various words beginning with n.

The problem is the apartheid regime in South Africa took to using it in official documentation so it became tarnished.

No, 'coloured' meant someone of mixed descent - in ZA it could mean Dutch-British-Khoisan-Indian-Black African. COloured was a distinct caste from black (coloureds had some legal standing and were second-class citizens, as opposed to blacks who weren't really citizens at all)

vetinari wrote: »
    Judging by the OP, it seems the only people getting worked up are the people who are trying to use this as an example of PC correctness gone mad. His / her level of outrage is way worse than the original outrage.

Really. Benedict Cumberbatch is huge at the moment. He's been in some massive TV shows and movies. He's won a pile of awards and nominations. And he seems to be a generally decent and well liked guy.

Now, google his name.

I just did,

these were the first two articles I found

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/01/benedict-cumberbotched/384871
    http://jezebel.com/benedict-cumberbatch-im-an-idiot-for-referring-to-colo-1682006130

I wouldn't consider either article for instance to be "extreme PC correctness"
    Both articles for instance complimented him on issuing a proper apology as opposed to the "sorry I causes offence" kind.

Some people were in such a rush to jump on this as an example of being overly PC that they didn't read any of the articles around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Whats the bets that 99.999999% of the people who were outraged by the comment were white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

vetinari wrote: »

Really?

When an organisation with a less than benign name such as "Show Racism the Red Card" is on your case - you better bite the bullet and start genuflecting, if you want a career that is.

What's really sick is how people are saying Cumberbatch was forced to apologise, that he was under duress. That he wouldn't actually be apologetic for using a word he now knows (or already knew) was inappropriate. The subtext to all that is that he's actually a fan of using offensive speech. Which is not the impression I ever got from his interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Whats the bets that 99.999999% of the people who were outraged by the comment were white

Really?

I think a of white people are on the "political correctness gone mad" theory.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What's really sick is how people are saying Cumberbatch was forced to apologise, that he was under duress. That he wouldn't actually be apologetic for using a word he now knows (or already knew) was inappropriate. The subtext to all that is that he's actually a fan of using offensive speech. Which is not the impression I ever got from his interviews.

Thank you Lyaiera, you've identified the belief around this that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

To me the story is
    Man says something wrong, gets told it's wrong, man apologies, apology in accepted.

People who are complaining about him apologizing are like you said seeming to be saying that he

a) said nothing wrong

or

b) that he should be able to say whatever he wants and not have to apologize for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm fairly confident that most people, regardless of their skin pigmentation, would agree that Benji Cumberforce is not a racist.

Can someone point me to the all these outraged people/comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Really?

I think a of white people are on the "political correctness gone mad" theory.

Do you ever go on tumblr? The vast majority of users are white americans canadians australians and european people and they go berserk about anything like this...the site explodes when any wrong is done by a whitey against a 'poc'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do you ever go on tumblr? The vast majority of users are white americans canadians australians and european people and they go berserk about anything like this...the site explodes when any wrong is done by a whitey against a 'poc'

And there's a lot of other white people that complain about them complaining?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

With a name like Benedict Cumberbatch I'm surprised he doesn't refer to them as "the natives" before ordering to have one of them flogged for looking a gentleman in the eye.

He wasn't acting in Django Unchained, they just sent a camera crew round to his pad.

• Advertisement

Do you ever go on tumblr? The vast majority

The vast majority of tumblr I've encountered seems to be gifs of baby animals, superheroes, or anime.

Advertisement