Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice urgently needed on CELTA/TEFL

Options
  • 27-01-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm in the process of applying for a CELTA course. I've passed the interview and been offered a place. The fees have to be paid by tomorrow. As I'm sure most of you already know, it isn't cheap; especially when travel and a month of renting accommodation in Dublin are taken into consideration.

I'm very worried that it won't be worth it in the long run. I would like to teach abroad for a few years (maybe 5) in mainland Europe and experience new languages and cultures. But the wages for the majority of jobs seem quite poor. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised were offering between €400 - €800 a month. It doesn't really seem all that sustainable and with the cost of getting qualified; I could be making a bad financial mistake. Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Kirby42 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of applying for a CELTA course. I've passed the interview and been offered a place. The fees have to be paid by tomorrow. As I'm sure most of you already know, it isn't cheap; especially when travel and a month of renting accommodation in Dublin are taken into consideration.

I'm very worried that it won't be worth it in the long run. I would like to teach abroad for a few years (maybe 5) in mainland Europe and experience new languages and cultures. But the wages for the majority of jobs seem quite poor. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised were offering between €400 - €800 a month. It doesn't really seem all that sustainable and with the cost of getting qualified; I could be making a bad financial mistake. Opinions?

Well the course is amazing.....I would highly recommend it.

It is hard to make good wages in Mainland Europe. If you were willing to go to Asia (Korea) for example, you could do very well indeed money-wise.

Personally, I have worked in Korea, and made a shedload of money. Now, I am living in Spain (Madrid to be exact), and find I am doing okay financially. Not a millionaire, but there is loads of work here, and I have money to do stuff......but not much in the way of savings....

I have also taught EFL in Ireland and the UK and was on a very good hourly rate (but you probably have to work a few years elsewhere to be able to get good jobs in these places).

If you are going to do TEFL teaching for 5 years, I would do CELTA. I made the mistake of doing a crap course, cos I didn't want to fork out for the CELTA, but later did it as my options were limited without it (The first course was a total waste of time).

Hope that helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

If you plan on teaching for 5 years, you should certainly do the CELTA.

If you're really worried about money, look at some other countries. I did mine in Poland for about €1,500 all-in (course fee, accommodation, food, flights), and the course tutors were excellent.

TEFL in Europe doesn't pay big bucks, full-stop. If you find a job with free summers, summer schools in the UK usually pay £350+ per week, with free accommodation thrown in, though they are usually very exhausting.

Alternatively, go to Asia. Starting out, you can make pretty good money in Korea, China and Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chuckles Flower

I did my CELTA in Barcelona and found a teaching job immediately with a great school. The average pay here is 1,200 for 24 teaching hours a week. It's a good salary and you can have a good life here for that.

Advertisement