Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal ??

• 28-11-2004 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I may be writing this thread a bit prematurely but is me but are Arsenal starting to really waiver a bit. Ever since Man Yoo beat them they have not been the same, and now man yoo are 4 points behind them. Tbh I am a Man Yoo fan but if we didn't manage to win the league, I would have no problem with Chelsea doing it. Chelsea are so strong, ppl come out and criticise Chelsea and they come back and beat Charlton 4 - 0. Back to Arsenal, lack of discipline has crept its way in again at Highbury, boring performances and there now seems to be lack of team spirit something which was so self evident last season. As for Wenger its nothing but excuses after excuses, rubbish European performances leaves outside observers to believe that they cant cut it at the highest level.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

It's just a blip, the best of teams have them - Chelsea do look good though

P.S I seem to remember it taking Moan Utd season after season of crap performances in Europe under Ferguson before they got it right so maybe the same will happen to Arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What the ****?
    You're a united supporter and you'dbe happy with Chelsea winning the championship?!!!

Mourinho is a twat and he shall get his comeupons :)
    It shall be fantastic!

---

As for Arsenal.

It is a blip, quite a blip, I think there needs to be some fresh blood brought into the squad to re invigerate the side.
    I'm not talking about a talented young player, I'm talking about a solid striker who will score tap in after tap in. IMO thats always what Arsenal have been missing, when you play at the uber high levels, and the pace doesnt do it anymore, youneed a guy who is going to capitalise on a miss kick by a defender, and an out and out striker does that.

Liverpool winning was not a good thing if you ask me.
    It might send them into a further slump, or it might re ignite them.
    Either way it'll mess up their current run.

Wenger also needs to stop being a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

a few new players is what they need:

CB cover (for campbell/toure)
    MC cover (for gilberto)
    another goalscorer of the v.nistelrooy mould.

wenger needs criticise the poor perfermances and motivate the team. if chelsea win then football is all about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Mourinho acts the twat but invariably he is a brilliant manager and tactician. As for Chelsea winning the league, I'd rather have them win over the Pool, the Gunners, or the Toon. They have one of this country's best players in Damo and one of the best youngsters in Europe in Robben, but dont get me wrong if Fergie could just put it together we might get somewhere.

As for Arsenal they certainly could have done with Angulo, but if they got Ledley King and Shaun Wright Phillips they would be very intresting. Could you imagine though if ManYoo beat them again midweek youngsters or no youngsters the Gunners demoralisation continues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya they are really hitting a bad run now, BUT they are still in second.
    I think they have a lot of players who are brilliant when things are going well but hide when they really have to work for it. I cannot remember arse every really need to pull one out of the fire and doing it.

Todays match was a case of men against boyz, arsenal were the boyz who deserved to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yop

Boyz against men what drugs are you both teams were awful, the 2nd goal was simply a moment of magic from a bit part player. Neil Mellor is far from a great player, nor is Kewell, Sinama Pongolle I won't go on. Glad to see Stevie Gerrard back possibly one of the better players today.

Henry and Reyes's performances today were nondescript and resembled the lack of comunication that was there when Jose first arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

its all about the pressure.... its all very well and cosy, rosey etc when you stroll through the league in style one year, do it the next and your true worthy champions, screw up and get lost in the favourites tag and your nothing but bluffers.

a man of wisdom once said, "a good team wins a trophy, a great one retains it". and that's the pressure on arsenal. what has shocked me this season is their form in europe. the league was always going to be tough, not just due to fierce competition from chelsea and manu but due to this 'pressure thing' that has haunted arsenal in the past.

i thought europe would be stroll in the park in the early stages this year for arse, given their group isnt world class. their favourites going into every game home and away, expected to win, expected to perform week in week out due to conquering their own league. call this stupid, it might be but ive always thought arsenal aren't comfortable away from home on big pitches, big stadiums. it's rare you see arse slip up at highbury and lose, away from home it wouldnt shock you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"Boyz against men what drugs are you both teams were awful"
    Ya what ever, hold on to ur g string !

" Neil Mellor is far from a great player, nor is Kewell, Sinama Pongolle I won't go on"

Did I say they were!

"its all about the pressure.... its all very well and cosy, rosey etc when you stroll through the league in style one year, do it the next and your true worthy champions, screw up and get lost in the favourites tag and your nothing but bluffers."

Excellent point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Willem D wrote:
    Boyz against men what drugs are you both teams were awful
    Liverpool were hardly awful. They totally contained Arsenal and kept the top scorers in the league (by some distance may I add) to 1 shot in the whole game. Their midfield was excellent. The only blot on the copy book was Harry Kewell, and possibly Pongolle who was a bit quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smemon wrote:
    screw up and get lost in the favourites tag and your nothing but bluffers.
    I seem to recall you calling Steven Gerrard "a bluffer" so I dont know if this is a complement or an insult. All I know is Gerrard is the real deal. ;)
    smemon wrote:
    i thought europe would be stroll in the park in the early stages this year for arse, given their group isnt world class. their favourites going into every game home and away, expected to win, expected to perform week in week out due to conquering their own league. call this stupid, it might be but ive always thought arsenal aren't comfortable away from home on big pitches, big stadiums. it's rare you see arse slip up at highbury and lose, away from home it wouldnt shock you.
    In all fairness they are still unbeaten in Europe and only need a home win against Rosenberg to qualify and quite possibly top the group. Not bad from a team in poor form that "always bottle it in Europe". Also their group is one of the tougher ones in my opinion given that Arsenal are the top seeds. PSV are no mugs, and the trips to Rosenberg and Panathanaikos were always going to be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Also their group is one of the tougher ones in my opinion given that Arsenal are the top seeds. PSV are no mugs, and the trips to Rosenberg and Panathanaikos were always going to be difficult.

I fail to think the same way, I think that Arsenal are in the Second easiest group in the Chapms League, After United who have the easiest but they have also made the group look easy. If they are serious about winning the competitioin then they need to be beating the likes of Rosenberg and Panathanaikos away from home.
    P.S I seem to remember it taking Moan Utd season after season of crap performances in Europe under Ferguson before they got it right so maybe the same will happen to Arse

True but United had to contend with the ridiculous Foreigner rule. I'd love to see how well Arsenal would do today if the rule still applied. they have one possible 'assimilator' in Dennis Bergkamp. After that they could choose 3 players from, Lehman, Lauren, Toure, Pires, Reyes, Fabrigas, Gilberto, Edu, Ljungberg, Henry, Viera. As soon as the Foreigner rule was lifted Uniteds form in the Champions league improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

2 losses in 55 so yes I think the thread is a little premeture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

rebel72 wrote:
    They are 15th in the form league averaging 1 point per game over their last 6 matches:
    http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/formGuide.jsp?

eirebhoy wrote:
    They are 15th in the form league averaging 1 point per game over their last 6 matches:
    http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/formGuide.jsp?

still think its only a little blip though. They may be 15th in form league, but in the real thing they're still 2nd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

rebel72 wrote:
    still think its only a little blip though. They may be 15th in form league, but in the real thing they're still 2nd!
    I still wouldn't say this thread is premature since they were almost invincible a few weeks ago.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I still wouldn't say this thread is premature since they were almost invincible a few weeks ago.

Let's give them until 1st January! Having said that though, I think they're looking very shakey. Henry is not producing the goods and the whole team seems to be following suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

they are just going through their patch, just like united were at the start of the season!!! i wouldnt write arsenal off just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Easy boys...Arsenal have not been the same since they lost to Man Utd. But do not write them off. It is not even Christmas yet. Chelsea do look strong and brilliant and have unlimited cash. Do not write anyone off yet. It is still too open. Even though I support Utd, it is far too close to call to see who will win it but it is between Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd all the way.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Problem with Arsenal is that they still have tough games against Chelsea etc. yet to come. United have all of their tough games over with in this half of the season... So I think United will gain points. I think it will be a closer race than last season and this time there definately will be three teams left challenging for the title.

Arsenal will bounce back... But the only thing is, will it be too late when they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

That's one way of saying it, Yet another would be 3 wins in 10 games in all competitions. 0 clean sheets and only a plus 3 goal difference. Arsenal will certainly pull through the patch but the theory of them being the best team of all time is getting tested to the fullest.

Still a great team when on song but still looks like their unable to Grind. As the saying goes a sign of a great team is when they play badly and win. Liverpool team of the 80's and the United team of the 90's were both capable of winning games when the chips were down and the gods were against them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

smemon wrote:
    its all about the pressure.... its all very well and cosy, rosey etc when you stroll through the league in style one year, do it the next and your true worthy champions, screw up and get lost in the favourites tag and your nothing but bluffers.

a man of wisdom once said, "a good team wins a trophy, a great one retains it". and that's the pressure on arsenal. what has shocked me this season is their form in europe. the league was always going to be tough, not just due to fierce competition from chelsea and manu but due to this 'pressure thing' that has haunted arsenal in the past.

they dont train on the highbury pitch, they're passing at times was pretty slick, especially for the goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

AthAnRi wrote:
    . 0 clean sheets and only a plus 3 goal difference.

bad patch they'll get over it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think Seamon has a secret obsession with Arsenal because he writes more about them then Utd

On the subjet of Arsenal it self there are a number of points key here

1: Wenger has to get more vocal with the players. I feel he is too soft with them especially with players like henry, pires. I suppose its a double edged sword and you dont want to destroy their confidence but sometimes the hair dryer treatment is appropriate

2: He MUST buy in january. Cover for defence and midfield.

3: Give youth a chance and let players fight for their positions more!

4: Get back to basics, like taking advantage of setpieces and defending better against them. Playing the kind of football arsenal play requires confidence. They need to get some wins under their belt and that will return.

On a side note a win against man utd in the carling cup would be nice for the younger players but i really couldnt care less becuse both side will field youth players!

Advertisement