Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auxiliaries?

• 27-01-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

My understanding is that I'll need roughly 1hp per meter as an auxiliary motor. How far out is that rule of thumb? The boat I have is 4.6 meters, very easy to get up on the plane and is quite light. It flies with a 20hp. I'd imagine that if I could use an auxiliary to hit 6 or 7 knots that would potentially be more than enough.

I see much heavier boats with displacement hulls only using 5 and 6 hp auxiliarys in tidal areas. With a 4 or 5 hp would I be over gunning it realistically. What's peoples real world experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It will all depend on the boat and the water you use it on, if you have a high cabin that can act like a sail you will need a bit of power to push you into a headwind same goes if you are running in fast flowing water. A 4 - 5 hp should be fine, if you can see if you can get a loan of one and give it a go then if your not happy with the performance move up to a bigger one.

Advertisement