Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling a hole through cavity wall.

Options
  • 27-01-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Looking for a price from someone with an sds drill.... to drill a 12mm (approx) hole in a cavity wall, (13")

Straight forward job, its at ground level in kitchen and no cables in the way.

Don't need job done straight away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Surely you know a friend with a drill?

If I was closer I'd do it for free, maybe a boardsie will oblige?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Hire one out from a hire shop, should be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I have a mains hammer action drill, quite a heavy yoke, but only have a small size long drill bit, need about 1/2" or 3/8" bit.

Would I be all day drilling with an ordinary drill rather than an sds drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Go to one of the many hardware shops and buy the required drill bit.
    The drill you have should be up to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I have a mains hammer action drill, quite a heavy yoke, but only have a small size long drill bit, need about 1/2" or 3/8" bit.

Would I be all day drilling with an ordinary drill rather than an sds drill.

When I was installing my satellite system I did this with a standard power drill - you just have to use the right drill bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I feel your pain

Will an sds drill bit

1024px-Drill_shank_sdsplus.jpg

work in a straight shank drill, all 350mm bits for sale seem to be all sds bits, at least the 10-12mm ones anyway.

Will an sds drill bit

1024px-Drill_shank_sdsplus.jpg

work in a straight shank drill, all 350mm bits for sale seem to be all sds bits, at least the 10-12mm ones anyway.
    Yes but there is a chance it will slip and damage the shank.lidl or also often sell extra long bits

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Yes but there is a chance it will slip and damage the shank.lidl or also often sell extra long bits

Yeah aldi had them a while back, pack of four for about €20 not sure if they were sds or not but for that price and if they do the job how bad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Yeah aldi had them a while back, pack of four for about €20 not sure if they were sds or not but for that price and if they do the job how bad:)

The ones from Lidl/Aldi are not good as they practically melt in the wall. Woodies have long bits for around 16euro (per bit). You need a proper masonry bit if your going in through a wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

if u have a drill surely ..... fuk it never mind

11 posts on drillin a hole through a wall. lol

if u have a drill surely ..... fuk it never mind

11 posts on drillin a hole through a wall. lol

Probably a few million threads and you had to pick this one:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I have a mains hammer action drill, quite a heavy yoke, ..

should be grand

400mm long x 12mm here for € 3.99 and a bit of postage :

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/titan-masonry-drill-bit-12-x-400mm.html

You could buy a rock hammer, worked for Andy Dufrense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

obezyana wrote: »
    The ones from Lidl/Aldi are not good as they practically melt in the wall. Woodies have long bits for around 16euro (per bit). You need a proper masonry bit if your going in through a wall.

Id go back with your bit if i was you cos i bought those bits in the blue case from Lidl and i used them often and they were fine, still use them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Id go back with your bit if i was you cos i bought those bits in the blue case from Lidl and i used them often and they were fine, still use them!

Ah I wouldnt be bothered now as I got better ones.

Advertisement