Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old not eating at school

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Op, teachers n my daughter's class say when she is leaving the room at lunch that she will be checking lunch boxes when she comes back from her lunch break. Had the same problem with my daughter (6) lunch box full, so I wrote a note in her journal that she was not eating her lunch, she wrote a note back and said she would keep an eye on her. Problem solved, a teacher can have a lot of persuasion when they are not listening to us Mum's. Try it, bet it will work.

So ... get a child who may not be hungry to stuff themselves past the point of being full, as quickly as possible, so that they don't get in trouble with the teacher for not eating everything in the lunchbox?

To me, that's encouraging a really unhealthy relationship with food, and teaches nothing about portion control or self-regulation or listening to your body.

Children should be learning to eat food that they enjoy, that is good for them, and they should understand how their diet will affect their mood and energy levels. This takes time. With experience, they will come to realise that skipping meals will mean that they'll be tired and hungry later on in the schoolday. They will also come to realise that, while it's great to eat lots of healthy foods it's not always necessary or healthy to clear your plate at every mealtime.

Encouraging a child to eat just to please their teacher or parent isn't at all constructive, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

So ... get a child who may not be hungry to stuff themselves past the point of being full, as quickly as possible, so that they don't get in trouble with the teacher for not eating everything in the lunchbox?

To me, that's encouraging a really unhealthy relationship with food, and teaches nothing about portion control or self-regulation or listening to your body.

Children should be learning to eat food that they enjoy, that is good for them, and they should understand how their diet will affect their mood and energy levels. This takes time. With experience, they will come to realise that skipping meals will mean that they'll be tired and hungry later on in the schoolday. They will also come to realise that, while it's great to eat lots of healthy foods it's not always necessary or healthy to clear your plate at every mealtime.

Encouraging a child to eat just to please their teacher or parent isn't at all constructive, in my opinion.

As I said it worked for me, she went from eating nothing to eating her lunch. I do portion control for my child, I give her enough for big break & little break & go thru it with her. It's not all eaten every day & some day's she gives out she did'nt get enough & teacher will send her to her brother's class to see if he has anything for her.

Advertisement