Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

nocal wrote: »
    Agree completely.

Would also be open to trolls completely ruining your experience of these strikes .

The weekly and Poe are both open to this already and in my experience it hasn't happened. I have genuinely had nothing but good experiences with the matchmaking people I've played with.

I would assume as you played the higher ranked stuff you'd probably have even less messing as it takes a long time to get to high levels and most people are interested in playing properly.

They may be like myself, not the best of players, but do genuinely try.

Probably no point arguing it in fairness as bungie seem adamant on leaving it out as an option.

Damn good weather is keeping me away from Destiny in general lately.

It's all about bbq and beer. Destiny can wait until the weather turns sour again which it inevitably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

But...Destiny goes ok with beer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

But...Destiny goes ok with beer too!

Sure you don't meal Red Bull. What a load of crap that is eh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

In summary:

Argument for Matchmaking:
    It's not going to prevent pre-made fire teams from playing as they currently do anyway and going in with people they know will want to work together to complete the activity.

Argument against Matchmaking:
    Getting paired into a couple of bad groups early on in your gaming experience on say a Raid/NF/PoE will probably have you putting down the game for good as you'll think that it's the norm and just CNBF.

I'd be interested to hear some input from some of the lads me (or others) have helped through from level 20-32+ Like Fieldy, Andrew etc as I'm pretty sure they give a good insight into it.

Also bare in mind that the levelling up requirements to hit level 26 to actually do the VoG back in the day was VERY Grindy as blue gear had such low light levels and dropped so infrequently, a lot of players stopped playing around level 20-25

Look I'm not totally 100% Anti Matchmaking here at all..... but let me say this... when you get to Skolas and need to pass-the-parcel or need to indicate when you are/are not ready to kill Crota, how will you communicate that with Matchmade players? Using the "opt-in" Chat Functionality? How many times has that actually worked in the Crucible?.... Think I've heard it used once ever honestly and I play a LOT of solo Crucible and if I see 1 other person opt in to chat, I opt it.

Yeah I guess the flip side of that is how many people put the game down also cause they never knew about the external and 3rd party tools so never bothered with any endgame content as they don't have enough friends pla

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Cormac... wrote: »
    In summary:

Argument for Matchmaking:
    It's not going to prevent pre-made fire teams from playing as they currently do anyway and going in with people they know will want to work together to complete the activity.

Argument against Matchmaking:
    Getting paired into a couple of bad groups early on in your gaming experience on say a Raid/NF/PoE will probably have you putting down the game for good as you'll think that it's the norm and just CNBF.

I'd be interested to hear some input from some of the lads me (or others) have helped through from level 20-32+ Like Fieldy, Andrew etc as I'm pretty sure they give a good insight into it.

Also bare in mind that the levelling up requirements to hit level 26 to actually do the VoG back in the day was VERY Grindy as blue gear had such low light levels and dropped so infrequently, a lot of players stopped playing around level 20-25

Yes, but we also spent hours and hours and hours just looking into a cave and shooting.

• Advertisement

Yes, but we also spent hours and hours and hours just looking into a cave and shooting.

Speak for yourself :pac:

The cave never held any interest for me, I was busy perfecting Blue-Orbing from the early days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

All non-matchmade content, i think you underestimate how many people do not constantly play with a pre-made fireteam. Its destiny largest downfall imo.

I dont have a pre made fireteam, in fact, I rarely play with people from the forum, I normally go to LFG and join a bunch of randoms.

There is nothing stopping you from doing the same.

I said it before, Raids and some content such as PoEs cannot include matchmaking.

However, I wouldnt mind them introducing it (although I can tell you it will ruin your experience with Destiny) as long as they still allow people to solo them.

For instance, I solo crota every week (mostly normal), if they introduce matchmaking that will be the end of CE for me (not that it isnt already).

I mean, I have done heroics with for instance, solar burn, where people were using arc and void weapons, and of course, ended up doing all the work. Now I heroic on your own without anyone helping is okish, a nightfall, would be a nightmare.

And back to Crota, which I consider more a long strike than a raid, without communication how is the swordbearer gonna tell the team to drop crota? or even worse, how are you gonna decide who is the swordbearer?

And for longer raids? how are you gonna manage checkpoints? you wouldnt want to start from the beginning over and over until you complete it...

It just wouldnt work, but again, if they want to introduce it, fine, but leave the possiblility of a non-matchmaking option... and even then, I can guarantee it will ruin most people's experience of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bohrio wrote: »
    I dont have a pre made fireteam, in fact, I rarely play with people from the forum, I normally go to LFG and join a bunch of randoms.

There is nothing stopping you from doing the same.

I said it before, Raids and some content such as PoEs cannot include matchmaking.

However, I wouldnt mind them introducing it (although I can tell you it will ruin your experience with Destiny) as long as they still allow people to solo them.

For instance, I solo crota every week (mostly normal), if they introduce matchmaking that will be the end of CE for me (not that it isnt already).

I mean, I have done heroics with for instance, solar burn, where people were using arc and void weapons, and of course, ended up doing all the work. Now I heroic on your own without anyone helping is okish, a nightfall, would be a nightmare.

And back to Crota, which I consider more a long strike than a raid, without communication how is the swordbearer gonna tell the team to drop crota? or even worse, how are you gonna decide who is the swordbearer?

And for longer raids? how are you gonna manage checkpoints? you wouldnt want to start from the beginning over and over until you complete it...

It just wouldnt work, but again, if they want to introduce it, fine, but leave the possiblility of a non-matchmaking option... and even then, I can guarantee it will ruin most people's experience of the game

I can see your point on raids but what about the nightfall or POE or TOO.

Nightfall is a very hard strike.

POE lvl32+ is a harder POE than the already matchmakeable lvl28

TOO I've never played but team crucible works and 9 times out of 10 if you join with matchmaking nobody uses mic's.

Again I just don't see why it can't be an option for those who chose to use it.

For those who don't want it they just don't use it and continue with their existing fireteams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The suggestion is that matchmaking is brought in as an option. Nothing anyone has said above seems to factor this in.

Bohrio, I do not want to use LFG sites. I have paid for the content, i want it available to me in game.

The suggestion is that matchmaking is brought in as an option. Nothing anyone has said above seems to factor this in.

Bohrio, I do not want to use LFG sites. I have paid for the content, i want it available to me in game.

I understand your point and as I said, as long as they give the option to use matchmaking and still allow people to solo it I wouldnt mind it, but I am telling you, I would be surprised to see randoms without mics completing either a raid or PoE 32+ (depending on the PoE).

Cormac already said it, what are you gonna do when you are playing Skolas and have to pass the essence to another fella, or not even skolas, qodron for instance, it would be very very difficult to complete not to say impossible.

I dont want to offend anyone but when this type of comments come up are normally from people who never played a raid or a PoE and dont know how difficult it can be to complete these without proper communication/team work.

Murphy, trials could be an exceptions, meaning that they could introduce matchmaking in them, but said this, this will make trials much easier and less rewarding IMO. Easy for the guys who team up together and get paired against a bunch of randoms of course!

I do agree however that you should not need to go to LFG to look for a fireteam and that this option should be available in places such as the tower etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The thing is, it is available to you. It's up to you to access that content. Yes, matchmaking would make it easier, but not necessarily better

The thing is, it is available to you. It's up to you to access that content. Yes, matchmaking would make it easier, but not necessarily better

No, its not available to the majority of players. Look at the raid completion stats, they are shocking. The suggestion is always to use LFG, why can't this be ingame?

Bohrio, just make mics a requirement in matching harder content. There is no reason it can't be all done ingame.

It feels like Groundhog Day today :p
    Look at the raid completion stats, they are shocking.

22% of players have finished a Raid....

But lets look at less popular Trophies:
    • 18% have upgraded and Exotic Weapon
    • 17% have Upgraded a Titan Subclass
    • 19% have Upgraded a Hunter Subclass
    • 19% have Upgraded a Warlock Subclass
    That to me says only about 20% of players anyway are playing past the Main Vanilla Story, full stop

Anyway Does anyone care to Try CORMACS FUN RUN?

..... It's essentially ShotGun Only Normal Crotas End but with Triple the $hit Talking!!! That's right TRIPLE!!! :eek:

Anyway, that's what I'll be doing, I've said my piece on matchmaking and I imagine, unfortunately, this problem isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Does anyone care to Try CORMACS FUN RUN?

..... It's essentially ShotGun Only Normal Crotas End but with Triple the $hit Talking!!! That's right TRIPLE!!! :eek:

Anyway, that's what I'll be doing, I've said my piece on matchmaking and I imagine, unfortunately, this problem isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I'd love to but I don't have a fire team: (

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I'd love to but I don't have a fire team: (

Sigh! He posted that as he is looking for a fireteam. Would jump in myself as doing a double shotgun raid run is good craic only I don't think I'll get on the PS4 tonight.

No, its not available to the majority of players. Look at the raid completion stats, they are shocking. The suggestion is always to use LFG, why can't this be ingame?

Bohrio, just make mics a requirement in matching harder content. There is no reason it can't be all done ingame.

True, same as language requirements etc. But it is not only about having a mic but knowing how to communicate.

Like I said, fine with me if they want to give it, but I would like to see people comments afterwards saying how difficult it is to complete and how much of a frustrating experience it is.

Doubt you will be able to complete something like VoG or Crota or even Skolas with randoms...

Jaysus just the normal weekly heroic can be tedious when you play with mm randoms and one of them decides to hang on the back or to wonder around the map doing nothing... not to mention those who never stop dying in the most unusual spots, imagine getting to crota with someone who keeps dying over and over...

But then again, if they want to make it available fine, but dont they come back complaining when you realize they can't complete it ;)

Sigh! He posted that as he is looking for a fireteam. Would jump in myself as doing a double shotgun raid run is good craic only I don't think I'll get on the PS4 tonight.

Ahhh

So join the boards clan then! :)

Bohrio wrote: »
    True, same as language requirements etc. But it is not only about having a mic but knowing how to communicate.

Like I said, fine with me if they want to give it, but I would like to see people comments afterwards saying how difficult it is to complete and how much of a frustrating experience it is.

Doubt you will be able to complete something like VoG or Crota or even Skolas with randoms...

Jaysus just the normal weekly heroic can be tedious when you play with mm randoms and one of them decides to hang on the back or to wonder around the map doing nothing... not to mention those who never stop dying in the most unusual spots, imagine getting to crota with someone who keeps dying over and over...

But then again, if they want to make it available fine, but dont they come back complaining when you realize they can't complete it ;)

I've never had issues with the weekly and poe 28 is a walk in the park tbh, mechanically 32 and 34 are o a similar difficulty. Crota is also pretty easy and I would like to complete it properly, the way it was meant to be played rather than cheesing it solo. Nightfall has no excuses for not being match made, nor does TOO.

If people can LFG this content on 3rd party sites they can do it in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,892 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The raid completion stats are fine when viewed against the actual user numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The content is there, free, ready to go. The only requirements are getting a group of 3 or 6 together. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Could they have facilitated an LFG option? Yes. A billboard notification area in the tower where you choose the content you want to do using a thumbnail icon selection screen, and in relation to raids, a checkpoint, so long as you actually have that checkpoint. Once you flag what your looking for, you could either be thrown in to a group, or get an invite from a group in the building phase. You also auto join the firetrram chat with no option to exit, though you could still mute players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've never had issues with the weekly and poe 28 is a walk in the park tbh, mechanically 32 and 34 are o a similar difficulty. Crota is also pretty easy and I would like to complete it properly, the way it was meant to be played rather than cheesing it solo. Nightfall has no excuses for not being match made, nor does TOO.

The whole point of TOO is for the best teams to be against the best teams. And only the best of those should get to the Lighthouse. If you bring matchmaking in for TOO I can garuntee the amount of people going to the Lighthouse would rise dramatically and lower the difficulty of the mode.
    Matchmaking should never be brought into Trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Triple $hit talking shotgun only Crota - a Destiny experience like no other - coming to a friday night near you soon!!

I'm on later, would be on for giving this a good blast...

Much as I agreed on your previous comments you are totally wrong here

PoE 28 is not easy, is a joke, 32 34 and 35 are easy enough if you find a good team. But they are not anyway similar to PoE28 nor even similar in difficulty, starting from the bosses. For instance, you can complete PoE 28 with a fireteam of you and 2 blind monkeys but you will not be able to do this with a PoE 35, or probably this weeks 34.

The question here is not that you are not good enough to do it, but that your team mates might not be at the same level therefore this will affect the end result.

Not sure what you mean but cheesing crota though, there is no cheesing involved when you solo it.

I dont understand also how you can say Crota is easy when you have never played it?

Trust me, the first time I did crota was nothing but easy!!

In fact, the reason why I solo crota is because not long ago after soloing crota for a few weeks I decided to join a team of randoms in LFG who had never completed it before, 2 of them had no mic and another one didnt speak english, well bad idea, after 1.30 minutes I left the fireteam (takes me 25 minutes to solo it)... problem were people randomly grabbing the sword to kill thralls, or dying constantly, not shooting at crota etc...

Nightfall are the same thing and they are much more difficult (in general) than the weeklys, If we compare the experience to the weekly well it could end up being a horrible experience as well (although sometimes I do get to play with proper teammates). Last time I remember starting a weekly and getting paired up with 2 randoms, the spend the first 15 minutes colliding their bikes against each other... after 15 minutes (I was just there to get cabal major kills) they decided to use their bikes to kill psions, 5 minutes later they realized that they could use the big bikes at the entrance of the base, so back to square one...

I had nothing to do so I went on my lunch, when I came back (just out of curiosity) the 2 guys were still there with their bikes having the time of their life... they were obviously trolling but still, you could get the same people in the nightfall!

And Trials well as I explained it before it would basically be a bad idea as it would my much easier to get to the lighthouse and it will also not be so much of a challenge for other players...

Of all of these ToO is the only one I would not add matchmaking to, the others I dont care, as I know that, even with matchmaking, people will still use sites such as LFG if they want to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Iron Banner and the psn is down... Nooooooo

I've come across a few in POE 28 that do sweet **** all, just see them hiding away, and come out to pick up the gift from Variks.
    Annoying little ****s, and I usually try to pull a few mobs towards them, on the off chance they end up taking a dirt nap.

I wouldn't mind an opt-in for matchmaking, as some have said losing the ability to start the Weekly solo was annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

..... It's essentially ShotGun Only Normal Crotas End but with Triple the $hit Talking!!! That's right TRIPLE

Just let me get some WD40 for my Universal Remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'd say there is zero chance that Bungie will extend the IB if the PSN doesn't come back over the weekend.

I'd say there is zero chance that Bungie will extend the IB if the PSN doesn't come back over the weekend.

I got in by spamming the X-button to start game

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was Burning shrine already a map in TOO the first week or am I imaging it ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Was Burning shrine already a map in TOO the first week or am I imaging it ?

The Mercury one? it was yeah.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement