Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Just played some lvl28 PoE for the first time in a good while, got hopscotch pilgrim and her benevolence :s

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you use the lvl25 boost, you can still play through the story mode can't you? Cutscenes and all? Will do that with the Titan if it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sort of glad I'm working till 10pm and let the download work away while I'm not there. Otherwise I'd be pacing up and downstairs intermittently sticking my head inside the door to check the timer.

Surely there's a pre download like new releases which allows you to preinstall and only unlocks when the developer states ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Kiith wrote: »
    If you use the lvl25 boost, you can still play through the story mode can't you? Cutscenes and all? Will do that with the Titan if it's possible.

Yes, you could. I'm going to use my 1xlvl25 boast on my preferred subclass

When tTK launches you will have to do 1 mission before getting your new subclass, these take about twice as long as the Story (1-20) to level up.

So my plan for tTK is to
    Get the new subclass on each of my chatacters (3 times)
    Finish edging all my my factions and rep with all 3 characters (one game of pvp and a quick patrol to get Vanguard/Crucible and DO/FWC/NM with each of the 3)
    This should give me 9 Reward Packages (hopefully a gun for each slot)
    Pick Stormcaller (just to be different), use Focused Light, use 3x Telemetries, use my Lvl25 buff, turn in 10x 10xp bounties I've been harvesting.
    Do the same on the other 2 but without the Lvl25 Buff

BAM - Profit
    Instantly, probably fully upgraded Storm caller and 3 Legendary V2.0 tTK weapons (I hope). Onwards into the rest of the game.

So I'll probably be f**king around in the tower and patrol and crucible for the 1st hour of launch just to make sure I have the best set up for the rest of the day

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Won't you have to delete a character to use the auto-level 25 consumable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Won't you have to delete a character to use the auto-level 25 consumable?

my understanding of the level 25 boost is for new characters only. I didn't think you can use it to boost the new subclass on your existing character.

as in your new guardian has now 3 subclasses to be levelled as you play, and your existing guardian has a new subclass that gets levelled on your way to 40?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

my understanding of the level 25 boost is for new characters only. I didn't think you can use it to boost the new subclass on your existing character.

as in your new guardian has now 3 subclasses to be levelled as you play, and your existing guardian has a new subclass that gets levelled on your way to 40?

Yeah that's what I thought.

Edit: Oh wait, focused light isn't the auto level thing, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Surely there's a pre download like new releases which allows you to preinstall and only unlocks when the developer states ?

Isn't that what tomorrow is, sort of. Ask sniper. I wager he's trawling zee Google as I type.

Well even if all 3 of my characters start at lvl34, their new Subclass can still benefit from the 1-25 boost (possibly unlocking 1/2 of the skill trees). AFAIK It's just gonna be a straight up consumable with like 500,00XP (or whatever)

Isn't that what tomorrow is, sort of. Ask sniper. I wager he's trawling zee Google as I type.

Sniper we demand answers :D

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well even if all 3 of my characters start at lvl34, their new Subclass can still benefit from the 1-25 boost (possibly unlocking 1/2 of the skill trees). AFAIK It's just gonna be a straight up consumable with like 500,00XP (or whatever)

You sure it has an XP element ? It'd be very handy if there was.

I just assumed when you used it your level would jump from 1 to 25 but your subclasses would remain the same ? Handy

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

They said when you use the boost your character will be level 25, along with having appropriate gear for the level - so my impression is that it is not a simple XP boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sniper we demand answers :D

Tomorrow is the pre-download for TTK - and also acts as a trial of sorts - as people without the expansions (bought or ordered) will be able to play all the new crucible maps and modes.

Next week there will likely be a tiny patch in the morning to unlock the full expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah I think that buff is only to rank your character up to 25. The focused light consumable will give you a big XP boost for 30 minutes though. I don't have any but have time off work. I'll have my 3 characters Raid ready by Friday but will probably be bleeding from the eyes.

I dunno, I'm just speculating.

I was sure it was mentioned much earlier that it could be used to max a new Sub class if you are already 3x34

Either way I still would have had to level the other 2 the traditional way, so not the end of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

If I'm wrong, I'll perform 3 games of Control on the Stream with NLB, (Happy now Chimp?) :pac:

this has been a long time coming!
    Sure it's no bother to you anyway as the rest of us are carrying you through most of the games :pac:

Does anyone know of a good non-spoilerish summary for TTK launch? I've been trying to stay away from all of the Twitch streams as I'd like to keep an element of surprise about the new game.

But all the talk Sat night about levelling faction groups up to just before you hit a new level, maxing glimmer, crucible and vanguard marks, etc, has made me realise - I have no idea what's happening between now and the launch! No idea what waepons tuning is happening, there seems to be a staggered release for some of the features too, which I find confusing.

Max Your Glimmer
    Store All Glimmer Consumables (House Banners etc)
    Get The Vanguard and Crucible AND a 3rd Faction (FWC, NM, DO) to ALMOST be ranked up, say 2450/2500 so that you can quickly level them up and get Reward packages on day 1
    Get 10 Bounties which are worth 10k XP ready on each on your characters
    Don't claim any rewards packages yet (as these also give XP) so daily public event packs etc

But all the talk Sat night about levelling faction groups up to just before you hit a new level, maxing glimmer, crucible and vanguard marks, etc, has made me realise - I have no idea what's happening between now and the launch! No idea what waepons tuning is happening, there seems to be a staggered release for some of the features too, which I find confusing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3dkg6x/destiny_weapon_tuning_20/?ref=search_posts

This gives a run down on the weapons. Thorn and the Last Word in particular are being screwed although the Thorn poison now stacks so that might be interesting if they get it wrong.

It's also worth noting - I've been running the Public events each day and saving the reward package in the Post Master. I've also left any faction or Cryptarch packages with the Post Master.
    Handy way of storing XP and the chance to get new weapons / armour dropped.

I've also just burned through my Crucible marks on all characters buying fancy faction clothes, which was a big mistake... So save your all your marks.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/3dkg6x/destiny_weapon_tuning_20/?ref=search_posts

This gives a run down on the weapons. Thorn and the Last Word in particular are being screwed although the Thorn poison now stacks so that might be interesting if they get it wrong.

There not being screwed in fairness. I'm killed 90% of the time by either of the two. They are way to prevalent and are a crutch for most players.

I switched to pulse rifles about two months ago and love using them :)

It'll be interesting to see how people preform now without the Thorn and TLW and more so with the nerfed Blink Shotgun combo.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah. I use the Thorn a lot and just started with the Last Word this weekend. They don't bother me. I've a history of using nooby weapons - why make life difficult for yourself :p
    Probably go back to the Suros but the Hopscotch / Red Death are also options.

They've said nothing to suggest it's an XP boost, it's for newly made characters only from what I've seen so far. It even gives you random gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I wouldn't agree with the word crutch as both guns actually require more gunskill than say auto rifles, but I'm looking forward to the nerf.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They've said nothing to suggest it's an XP boost, it's for newly made characters only from what I've seen so far. It even gives you random gear.

I've tweeted 1/2 of the Destiny staff there now to ask them.

AdamD wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with the word crutch as both guns actually require more gunskill than say auto rifles, but I'm looking forward to the nerf.

I personally think Thorn is one of the hardest but most rewarding guns to use. It's got a certain rhythm to it, where if you can get the cadence to each shot and your aim aligned, then its a beast - 2 head shot kills!
    If you're panic firing, its a hell of a lot harder to use and any other competent player is going to hand you your ass.

But that being said, you shouldn't be able to out snipe a sniper rifle with Thorn, so I do get the nerf...

RIP Thorn, you were my favourite!

They are way to prevalent and are a crutch for most players.

Robbed from the internet

gNHe9Id.jpg

I've found it pretty effective when firing from the hip in close quarters too.

I've noticed a lot of delusional players on Reddit claiming TLW and Thorn will still be in the meta

EDIT: Before that comment makes people lose their heads, bare in mind that Handcannons overall are getting a pretty severe nerfing, not just the singled out exotics

Start damage falloff closer to the player to limit long range lethality
    Small reduction in ADS accuracy, targeted at making long range snap-shooting less reliable
    Reduce final accuracy when firing from hip
    Fast firing from hip is less reliable
    Reduce magazine size for all base inventory stats
    Reduce base Optics (zoom) for all Hand Cannons
    ADS now grants more width in favor of depth

If these are even small 5% changes, they will all add up to make them pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,639 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I've noticed a lot of delusional players on Reddit claiming TLW and Thorn will still be in the meta

EDIT: Before that comment makes people lose their heads, bare in mind that Handcannons overall are getting a pretty severe nerfing, not just the singled out exotics

I'll admit I haven't considered it too deeply but my first impression is that Hawkmoon will now be the best of the current weapons with some pulse rifles close. I also think its possibly been overlooked that HCs were already superior to Auto Rifles before that last AR nerf. I'd be surprised if ARs are at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It'll be interesting to see what people are using 2 weeks from now, its amazing how quickly a playerbase can work out the flaws / imbalances in weapons and start to exploit it. playtesting never seems to get it 100% right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement