Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't see why they didn't just make these modes straight up objective based.

It's not like it was decided on the back of a beer mat.

They probably had many dozens of their staff discussing this mode for quiet some time now.

I'm fairly confident they would have tried these modes as "objective only" at some stage during development and realised it wasn't good.

Maybe that would have alienated 95% of the player base if it was only objective based.

A decision would be made at every stage of these game modes development to either go down path A or path B.

They are bringing out Zone Control to keep those other 5% happy by giving them an Objective only mode.

And then for the nonsense beer-mat game mode you have Mayhem.

Currently Rift seems to be performing as expected and as advertised. And I would be surprised to see a Team win without getting any slams any time soon.

All it takes is 2 opponents to pop supers, wipe your team out, grab the rift and have a Heavy/GG/BD blaze a trail for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was talking in comparison to hunter, Arcbolt is the only decent hunter grenade imo. axiom bolt is very good in PvP I find.

I always find arcbolts very easy to avoid, you just have to face it and slide under it, now you can even shot them if you want!

Yes, most hunters grenades are pretty useless, tripmines are okish as well but they dont always kill enemies if they have their armor maxed out :S

Yeah I'm looking forward to that (or is it there already?), though I find domination fairly boring after a while. CTF & Oddball variants were always my favourite game modes which is why I had high hopes for Rift.

I think you should temper your expectations about these things.
    They want Crucible to be 1) accessible to many and 2) fun.
    They don't want Rift or other modes to be massively taxing strategy wise or extremely sweaty.
    They want normal Crucible to be a mode the average Joe soap can pick up and blow off some steam in not just cater to a hardcore, sweaty 5%
    Was talking in comparison to hunter, Arcbolt is the only decent hunter grenade imo. axiom bolt is very good in PvP I find.

I have found Arcbolt a be "meh" since the nerf, went back to the sticky one for now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't see why straight up objective game types would be sweaty or inaccessible if they're in a 6v6 playlist. With all the one hit kill mechanics you have in Destiny the game will always be accessible and fun unless you reduced the sizes of the teams like they do for Trials or Skirmish/Salvage.

I don't see why straight up objective game types would be sweaty or inaccessible if they're in a 6v6 playlist.

Cause of gombeen Lone Wolfs running around with no experience or skill getting destroyed by well co-ordinated, skilled teams. :pac:

Same thing as now but greatly exasperated

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    Cause of gombeen Lone Wolfs running around with no experience or skill getting destroyed by well co-ordinated, skilled teams. :pac:

I think our respective definitions of sweaty vary quite a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It wouldn't be exasperated in the slightest. Let's not pretend bungie haven't gotten a huge number of things wrong, so saying they researched it doesn't make my point invalid. Cod is the most accessible fps going and its pure objective, the accessibility argument doesn't fly when pure objective is easier to understand than whats going on in Control.

AdamD wrote: »
    It wouldn't be exasperated in the slightest. Let's not pretend bungie haven't gotten a huge number of things wrong, so saying they researched it doesn't make my point invalid. Cod is the most accessible fps going and its pure objective, the accessibility argument doesn't fly when pure objective is easier to understand than whats going on in Control.

But isn't the point in almost every way that they are trying to differentiate from CoD in as many ways as possible (TTK, Look Speed, etc) ? :confused:
    They don't want Destiny to play like CoD.

This is an ongoing pattern honestly.

The Vocal (see: Online on Bungie/Reddit etc) minority NEED Fireteam chat in Crucible.
    Bungie add it, No-one uses it

The Vocal Minority NEED modes that have no radar, bonuses etc
    Bungie added "Inferno", No-one plays it

Now the new thing is "Objective Only"
    I would be willing to bet the same will happen with Zone Control, though I would have no real way of proving it other than to monitor the ~150 PS4 players.

I get people just wish the Crucible was "better" and more in line with their wants, but they are trying to appeal to the masses, and the masses like when they shoot a guy and "Kill: 100 Points" pops up the screen, it's rewarding (and that is MASSIVE in all video game development now, hell whole segments of mobile gaming on phones is based on that now)

I just think, and I'm aiming this at you in particular, people need to stop wanting Crucible to be CoD of BF, and instead go and play CoD
    (I mean, hell, I'm looking at getting BLOPS3 once it's dropped in price, maybe at x-mass, I don't know what the pattern with that series is tbh).

Don't get me wrong, often times I would play, say, Comand & Conquer and wish it had some aspects or functionality that is in Starcraft 2.

But I think people need to accept the Devs don't see Crucible currently as being hyper-competitive or sweaty.
    I mean Iron Banner isn't Really that competitive and that's lorded as the 2nd most competitive mode by them marketing wise.
    Salvage sh!ts on IB for sweatiness and competitiveness.

I'd like Private Lobbies, other than that, I think the Devs might just be kind of trying these ideas in a bubble and sending them out to the public to see what sinks or swims.

Rift: "Yaaayyy!"
    Doubles Skirmish: "Booooo!"

For now, it seems Trials is as competitive as it gets, Zone Control will fill the "objective only" mode slot and Slavage sits in strange place in between both.
    Control, despite being objective based is very accessible and straight forward.
    Still doesn't stop Blueberries Capping A :D

Moral of the Story, the Blue Peasantry is the voting public. Bungie cares about their votes more than yours or mine

Making a few of the game types fully objective based wouldn't make it suddenly play like CoD though, it would just provide a bit of variety and make the likes of Rift and control more distinct in their own right.

The Joe Soapers who just want a bit of fun wouldn't even know the difference tbh, loads of people probably still think Control is straight up objective anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Looks like I'll be taking a break away from Destiny for a week or 2 :(

Moving house, new house is delayed and have had to cancel the internet in my current house.
    I'm raging as I am super hyped about TTK, but what can you do..? I can't even log on to Generics stream to play the X-Files theme / MLG things up.

Anyway - I'll stay active in this thread and the chat as I'm going to need a sherpa through the new raid when it comes out!

Get a 3 pay as you go sim. 20 quid buys you unlimited data, so just tether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But isn't the point in almost every way that they are trying to differentiate from CoD in as many ways as possible (TTK, Look Speed, etc) ? :confused:
    They don't want Destiny to play like CoD.

This is an ongoing pattern honestly.

The Vocal (see: Online on Bungie/Reddit etc) minority NEED Fireteam chat in Crucible.
    Bungie add it, No-one uses it

The Vocal Minority NEED modes that have no radar, bonuses etc
    Bungie added "Inferno", No-one plays it

Now the new thing is "Objective Only"
    I would be willing to bet the same will happen with Zone Control, though I would have no real way of proving it other than to monitor the ~150 PS4 players.

I get people just wish the Crucible was "better" and more in line with their wants, but they are trying to appeal to the masses, and the masses like when they shoot a guy and "Kill: 100 Points" pops up the screen, it's rewarding (and that is MASSIVE in all video game development now, hell whole segments of mobile gaming on phones is based on that now)

I just think, and I'm aiming this at you in particular, people need to stop wanting Crucible to be CoD of BF, and instead go and play CoD
    (I mean, hell, I'm looking at getting BLOPS3 once it's dropped in price, maybe at x-mass, I don't know what the pattern with that series is tbh).

Don't get me wrong, often times I would play, say, Comand & Conquer and wish it had some aspects or functionality that is in Starcraft 2.

But I think people need to accept the Devs don't see Crucible currently as being hyper-competitive or sweaty.
    I mean Iron Banner isn't Really that competitive and that's lorded as the 2nd most competitive mode by them marketing wise.
    Salvage sh!ts on IB for sweatiness and competitiveness.

I'd like Private Lobbies, other than that, I think the Devs might just be kind of trying these ideas in a bubble and sending them out to the public to see what sinks or swims.

Rift: "Yaaayyy!"
    Doubles Skirmish: "Booooo!"

For now, it seems Trials is as competitive as it gets, Zone Control will fill the "objective only" mode slot and Slavage sits in strange place in between both.
    Control, despite being objective based is very accessible and straight forward.
    Still doesn't stop Blueberries Capping A :D
    Fireteam chat is Bungie's ****up and theirs alone. It should have been in from the start and opt out, as with every other game. Adding it later and opt in was never going to work, they'd already created a community used to not talking in crucible games. No voice chat in 2014?

Bold is just lowest common denominator ****. I want Destiny to be the best it can be, being more like cod, or put in less biased language, having basic features every fps has had since the dawn of time is necessary for this to happen. I'll be buying cod anyway, mainly because they've found a way to appeal to both sides, with Treyarch having a brilliant league mode.

We're apparently not going to agree on anything but I think you're misunderstanding my intentions, I don't necessarily want it to be more difficult, the points I'm making would just make the game more balanced and therefore competitive by default. More competitive =/ sweaty. Essentially I just find it frustrating that a game with so much potential in PvP isn't as good as it could/should be.

Though really if you to satisfy everyone just give us private matches, a feature that has been in literally every ****ing fps game.

This post is probably a little all over the place but I can't fix it atm

The Joe Soapers who just want a bit of fun wouldn't even know the difference tbh, loads of people probably still think Control is straight up objective anyway :pac:

Can Confirm!

2B6nBbW.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Can someone explain how I could have survived for close to 11 hours in PoE? And that it is 2 hours more than anyone else?

Can someone explain how I could have survived for close to 11 hours in PoE? And that it is 2 hours more than anyone else?

Being a pussie and cowering in your bubble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Mayhem clash is up now. It's not as much of a mess as I thought it would be, so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And not doing Skolas for ages :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Mayhem clash is up now. It's not as much of a mess as I thought it would be, so far....

Probably because everyones armour at the moment is s**t, would probably be much more chaotic with level 40 armour with higher intelect/discipline/strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can Confirm!

2B6nBbW.jpg?1

So you cap A and B every game, wait to loose B, neutralise it and then recap it ? :P

I wouldn't consider 3 caps per game to be that high. In all seriousness though would it be ?

I can't check mine at the minute but I don't tend to activitly go looking for flags to cap.

EDIT: Just realised that's your total games played not just your Control game count. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Probably because everyones armour at the moment is s**t, would probably be much more chaotic with level 40 armour with higher intelect/discipline/strength.

Aye, it seems roughly 30 seconds to charge a super without kills and that's with only tier 2 intellect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Taken king is in my download queue but I've not been charged yet anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone in the Clan on PS4 System Software 3.0 have a look for "Boards.ie Destiny Clan Chat"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Had to leave suddenly two weeks back. Haven't played since. Hoping to return next week. I'll be playing catch up big time. It's been asked a hundred times before, but just a few quick questions... Have to buy expansion. Am I too late for the suros pack for preorder? Or is that OK to still get before Tuesday? Has levelling beyond 34 started already? Is new crucible, weapon tuning, and class quests the only stiff that has started in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

PetKing wrote: »
    Had to leave suddenly two weeks back. Haven't played since. Hoping to return next week. I'll be playing catch up big time. It's been asked a hundred times before, but just a few quick questions... Have to buy expansion. Am I too late for the suros pack for preorder? Or is that OK to still get before Tuesday? Has levelling beyond 34 started already? Is new crucible, weapon tuning, and class quests the only stiff that has started in advance?

Yes, no and yes.

PetKing wrote: »

1. Nope, not too late for Suros pack
    2. Once you have it pre ordered with the cash in your account it will be available Tuesday
    3. No levelling above 34 won't start til Tuesday
    4. Quests are borked until Tuesday AFAIK
    5. New maps are there since Tuesday (with rift) and mayhem as of last night

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Fieldog, you still on for Skolas tonight?

onlyTobes wrote: »
    Fieldog, you still on for Skolas tonight?

Yes, I am indeed interested....

Anyone else wanna help "The Boards Clan Founder" and Tobes here with Billybigballs Skolas? :P :P :P

Fieldog wrote: »
    Yes, I am indeed interested....

Anyone else wanna help "The Boards Clan Founder" and Tobes here with Billybigballs Skolas? :P :P :P

Aren't you and Tobes on different platforms?:)

Aren't you and Tobes on different platforms?:)

Is the YoungTobes I have in my friend list different?

Or is he on both platforms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is the YoungTobes I have in my friend list different?

Or is he on both platforms?

Me & the young fella are both PS4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement