Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

onlyTobes wrote: »
    Me & the young fella are both PS4

Oh, so are you OldTobes? :)

Add me anyway : Fieldog

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think I was mixing you up with Failsafe actuslly, d'oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

Fieldog wrote: »

Thanks for that, you've made me feel so much better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

1. Nope, not too late for Suros pack
    2. Once you have it pre ordered with the cash in your account it will be available Tuesday
    3. No levelling above 34 won't start til Tuesday
    4. Quests are borked until Tuesday AFAIK
    5. New maps are there since Tuesday (with rift) and mayhem as of last night

Thanks for the answers. Hopefully the Suros pack is a pile of cack that I wouldn't use anyway like the Vanguard pack on launch. Didn't really have the chance to prepare my marks. Don't really know what to expect when I get back on. Its been daunting trying to catch up, so much info out there, hopefully makes more sense when I log in and get going. Hope to just wing it with the story and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

onlyTobes wrote: »

Thanks for that, you've made me feel so much better :D

Oi, less of that you...

I have 2 wee lads in my house also - Destiny n00bs though.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone noticed on Patrol now a lot more VIP Target bounties are showing up ? They also keep sending me to the same area.

I got four one after another in Cosmodrome. On the fourth one DinkleBot started to talk and said an incoming message coming through. This started up another "bounty"

I'll post a clip later of what happened.

Clip Updated

www.youtube/a5A9jzfie5U

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭thebag89

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed on Patrol now a lot more VIP Target bounties are showing up ? They also keep sending me to the same area.

I got four one after another in Cosmodrome. On the fourth one DinkleBot started to talk and said an incoming message coming through. This started up another "bounty"

I'll post a clip later of what happened.

That message did it come up as a bunch of question marks?

thebag89 wrote: »
    That message did it come up as a bunch of question marks?

Yup that's it.

There's four steps in it. I won't post them here though so as not to spoil it. Basically the ghost said when I completed it "At least we know what they want even if we don't know who they are"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I was thinking about getting back into Destiny until I seen the crazy price of the Taken King DLC. After paying €90+ for the game last year with the expansion pass they now want a further €45.

The way it's been bundled with copies of Destiny at the moment is a real FU to anyone that bought the game in the last year.

Bungie and Activision are a terrible combination. I see the Ghosts voice has been changed from Peter Dinklage to generic Walmart voice over. That's a pitty.

This game is a gigantic money pit. I wouldn't mind if DLC prices were very cheap but Bungie wrecked an epic campaign to better favour this DLC rubbish. They could have had a great story with a beginning, middle and end but they slapped the game together with very little care for the outcome.

It's sad to see a studio like Bungie fall this far in such a short time. I enjoy Destiny but I think I'll wait until the FU edition comes out with 200 DLC packs included :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Can anyone tell me how I can buy the taken king on PSN? My son has the original game and both expansion packs but the store won't let me pre order the taken king for him because it says he already "owns the expansion pack - house of wolves". Whats that all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I was thinking about getting back into Destiny until I seen the crazy price of the Taken King DLC. After paying €90+ for the game last year with the expansion pass they now want a further €45.

The way it's been bundled with copies of Destiny at the moment is a real FU to anyone that bought the game in the last year.

Bungie and Activision are a terrible combination. I see the Ghosts voice has been changed from Peter Dinklage to generic Walmart voice over. That's a pitty.

This game is a gigantic money pit. I wouldn't mind if DLC prices were very cheap but Bungie wrecked an epic campaign to better favour this DLC rubbish. They could have had a great story with a beginning, middle and end but they slapped the game together with very little care for the outcome.

It's sad to see a studio like Bungie fall this far in such a short time. I enjoy Destiny but I think I'll wait until the FU edition comes out with 200 DLC packs included :)

GoTY editions are nothing new.

Let's take an example that is not a subscription MMO at launch times:
    Borderlands 2 Main Gam = €70
    Borderlands 2 Season Pass = €40
    Individuals DLCS NOT included in the season Pass = €30
    Borderlands The Pre-Sequel Main Game = €40
    BLTPS Season Pass = €40

Total for all that content at launch = €220

2 weeks ago you could get the handsome jack collection for ~€29.99, that's about 10% of the price.

A new Steam RTS game will cost €40 - €50, that christmas it might be €2.50
    WoW and Eve cost €15 month, you would have paid €180 to play them for a year (which is BEFORE tTK comes out as that's year 2), Destiny with the Season pass was ~€100

It's economics and the depreciation of games and the content and DLCs over time.
    I could go on but you've probably made your mind up.

Everyone has a different perception of value for money.
    Never once (aside from maybe Kickstarter) has it EVER been a good idea financially to get any game Day 1 and get in on the ground floor

superg wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how I can buy the taken king on PSN? My son has the original game and both expansion packs but the store won't let me pre order the taken king for him because it says I already own the expansion pack - house of wolves. Whats that all about?

Got to the 2 individual expansion packs on the PSN store and click "buy" and "download", nothing will happen but they will update and you can then get tTK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Got to the 2 individual expansion packs on the PSN store and click "buy" and "download", nothing will happen but they will update and you can then get tTK

Good man that worked. Thanks.

GoTY editions are nothing new.

Let's take an example that is not a subscription MMO at launch times:
    Borderlands 2 Main Gam = €70
    Borderlands 2 Season Pass = €40
    Individuals DLCS NOT included in the season Pass = €30
    Borderlands The Pre-Sequel Main Game = €40
    BLTPS Season Pass = €40

Total for all that content at launch = €220

2 weeks ago you could get the handsome jack collection for ~€29.99, that's about 10% of the price.

A new Steam RTS game will cost €40 - €50, that christmas it might be €2.50
    WoW and Eve cost €15 month, you would have paid €180 to play them for a year (which is BEFORE tTK comes out as that's year 2), Destiny with the Season pass was ~€100

It's economics and the depreciation of games and the content and DLCs over time.
    I could go on but you've probably made your mind up.

Everyone has a different perception of value for money.
    Never once (aside from maybe Kickstarter) has it EVER been a good idea financially to get any game Day 1 and get in on the ground floor

It can't be compared to a traditional game of the year edition because a common GOTY edition game does not include very expensive DLC that hasn't even been released. That was a low blow to people who have already invested a lot of money in the game. They should have priced the new DLC much lower for existing owners.

It's also quite unusual for a console DLC pack to cost €45. Even for Activision that's well off the mark and is beyond greed after selling expansion passes on top of the original game already.

It's a great game to play but I can't say oh well that's the way things are and here's my money Activision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It can't be compared to a traditional game of the year edition because a common GOTY edition game does not include very expensive DLC that hasn't even been released. That was a low blow to people who have already invested a lot of money in the game. They should have priced the new DLC much lower for existing owners.

It's also quite unusual for a console DLC pack to cost €45. Even for Activision that's well off the mark and is beyond greed after selling expansion passes on top of the original game already.

It's a great game to play but I can't say oh well that's the way things are and here's my money Activision.

Lad first off its €39.99. Second off saying its over priced for a console DLC is just ridiculous considering the sheer amount of content that comes with it.

Christ sure COD DLC comes with four new maps with one or two guns and after a week of playing them everyone just shags off back to the vanilla maps.

In the Taken King Xbox players will be getting all the content that PS4 users had the year before, don't really know how much there is of that but with the Taken King.
    We're getting two new locations, story mode,3 new Quest lines,3 stikes, a raid, 7 new maps, 3 new crucible game modes, 3 new Subclasses, a tonneof new bounties and quests for Subclasses and a ****e tonne of new weapons.All in all i think we're getting a good deal.

Lad first off its €39.99. Second off saying its over priced for a console DLC is just ridiculous considering the sheer amount of content that comes with it.

Christ sure COD DLC comes with four new maps with one or two guns and after a week of playing them everyone just shags off back to the vanilla maps.

In the Taken King Xbox players will be getting all the content that PS4 users had the year before, don't really know how much there is of that but with the Taken King.
    We're getting two new locations, story mode,3 new Quest lines,3 stikes, a raid, 7 new maps, 3 new crucible game modes, 3 new Subclasses, a tonneof new bounties and quests for Subclasses and a ****e tonne of new weapons.All in all i think we're getting a good deal.
    €39.99 :P big difference to €45.

Story mode doesn't light my fire since that was more than likely cut out of the original game which only had about a 6hr campaign.

With the massive player base of Destiny they could have easily provided all of the above for €20 to existing players and made gigantic profit.

I think Destiny players should not have to pay that much. Especially when they have bundled the same DLC with the Destiny Legendary edition which costs about 64 euro on Amazon.

The real value is there for people who are just buying Destiny now. Its a super purchase for them.

I sure can.

€39.99 :P big difference to €45.

Story mode doesn't light my fire since that was more than likely cut out of the original game which only had about a 6hr campaign.

With the massive player base of Destiny they could have easily provided all of the above for €20 to existing players and made gigantic profit.

I think Destiny players should not have to pay that much. Especially when they have bundled the same DLC with the Destiny Legendary edition which costs about 64 euro on Amazon.

The real value is there for people who are just buying Destiny now. Its a super purchase for them.

Sounds like a moral issue over an issue with the actual pricing for the volume of content.

The Taken King pack contains mathematically 70%+ of what was in the Vanilla game.... so €40 is technically a good pricing point.

I'm not sure they would have sold a whole lot more tTK standalones packs if it was €20. If anything they would be undervaluing themselves.

If they sell 4 million tTK packs at €40, thats better than selling 5.5mil for €20. There is no way they would have sold double....

Low pricing would have been bad business

Sounds like a moral issue over an issue with the actual pricing for the volume of content.

The Taken King pack contains mathematically 70%+ of what was in the Vanilla game.... so €40 is technically a good pricing point.

I'm not sure they would have sold a whole lot more tTK standalones packs if it was €20. If anything they would be undervaluing themselves.

If they sell 4 million tTK packs at €40, thats better than selling 5.5mil for €20. There is no way they would have sold double....

Low pricing would have been bad business
    A bit of both I'd say.

Value is very subjective. What I think is not great value to existing players might be considered good value by other people and vice versa.

IMO existing players should be getting a better deal with the price of TTK since its bundled with Destiny for €64 on Amazon.

If people are happy to pay whatever Activision & Bungie want for their DLC good for them. Enjoy.

I'll more than likely wait until its run it course. I'll pick up the TTK when the price drops.

I'll more than likely wait until its run it course. I'll pick up the TTK when the price drops.

I'm sure you know that historically DLC itself doesn't drop in price.

What might drop in price is the entire package though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm sure you know that historically DLC itself doesn't drop in price.

What might drop in price is the entire package though

Ah nonsense, DLC is constantly on sale or reduced on Xbox for sure. Deals change every Tuesday. I actually got back into Destiny when the season pass was reduced back in June or july

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I dont really understand why all the fuzz about the price of TTK.

40 Euro, that's 1/3 of the price for a petrol tank for me. Or a dinner night out.

I remember seeing people pay 250 euro for a CoD special collector edition back in the days and I still never found that to be a problem considering the amount of time I played it (didnt get to buy one though)

I mean, there is nothing out there that I use more so if you consider the time spent vs cost well... to me I think it is worth it.

Jaysus I paid 69 euro for Ghost and played it for around 25 minutes... now that is money wasted!!!

And dont get me started with MW3 which less than a year after it was release it was already hacked to a point it was unplayable... didnt see anyone complaining back then in the CoD forums, in fact, all I saw how people were looking forward to buying the next CoD! and then the next one etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

So, Destiny...........

I bought it for the Xbox One last year, played it very briefly and then put it to one side due to utter confusion, lack of storyline among many other reasons. I never got far, only a few single digit levels.

Thing is, I've watched a couple of YouTube videos over the last few days and I'm strangely drawn to it all over again. I'm in two minds about getting it. If I do, it'll be for the PS4 meaning I'll be starting from scratch. For people who currently play but more importantly, for people in the same boat as me (used to play but gave up), is now a good time to jump back in?

If I buy the whole TK package, do I need to start with the vanilla Destiny game in order to upgrade before I can tackle the new expansion? Destiny still confuses the hell out of me. Can anyone explain?

The white PS4 embossed Destiny bundle looks ace but I don't think GameStop are selling it. I definitely would have traded in my black model for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

shuffles03 wrote: »
    So, Destiny...........

I bought it for the Xbox One last year, played it very briefly and then put it to one side due to utter confusion, lack of storyline among many other reasons. I never got far, only a few single digit levels.

Thing is, I've watched a couple of YouTube videos over the last few days and I'm strangely drawn to it all over again. I'm in two minds about getting it. If I do, it'll be for the PS4 meaning I'll be starting from scratch. For people who currently play but more importantly, for people in the same boat as me (used to play but gave up), is now a good time to jump back in?

If I buy the whole TK package, do I need to start with the vanilla Destiny game in order to upgrade before I can tackle the new expansion? Destiny still confuses the hell out of me. Can anyone explain?

The white PS4 embossed Destiny bundle looks ace but I don't think GameStop are selling it. I definitely would have traded in my black model for that.

Ì will wait for Cormac to reply to this as he will do a much better job explaining it to you, however, If, like many, you only played until you reached ~20 then you missed most of the good stuff, in fact, all of it!

Getting the full TTK edition now will be a good move IMO. You will quickly level up as well and you can do that from today if you decide to buy it now :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got the last of the golden chests last night and did some more patrols, Thorn is great fun to play with. Regarding the new sub-classes, do they become available as soon as TTK lands or do we have to complete some story missions first does anyone know?

Not liking Nolan bot at all, shame they changed that.

/Edit: Anyone come across this issue before where your primary weapon wasn't displayed? Just the reticle instead? Also, is there anyway to check what gear in the game you had at a previous date - I think I just lost a sparrow last night - as in I had 4 now only have 3.

BmEzIKL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

HMV/Xtravision have exclusivity on the white Destiny PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Been charged for The Taken king.

Pre-order Expected Release Date: 15/09/2015 @ 04:00 AM

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So, Destiny...........

Being a good time or not probably depends on the type of game you're looking for. I am in the same boat as you, got caught up in the hype, got stung with a day one release, and left it in my pile of games til about a month ago.

I am at the stage where I recently upgraded to an Xbox one so was contemplating upgrading the game but will wait until it drops quite a bit in price. I only really play campaigns and pvp, and while everyone knows about the sh*tty campaign, pvp just doesn't offer enough to get me to splash out. I have gone from a 1:1 k/d ratio to regularly getting 5/10 kill streaks but still don't feel like it makes a difference to the game (still convinced it's weighted towards the losing team), the delay in play is frustrating so much getting shot when you make it to cover, and it has my pet peeve of being dropped into the middle of a game.

There's something there, and probably more if you're into all the stuff the lads on here talk about (raids, trials, etc) but with Halo 5 and Battlefront out soon this will end up in my pile of games, so I'll wait til TTK legendary edition is going for about 30 and I'll jump back in.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Being a good time or not probably depends on the type of game you're looking for. I am in the same boat as you, got caught up in the hype, got stung with a day one release, and left it in my pile of games til about a month ago.

I am at the stage where I recently upgraded to an Xbox one so was contemplating upgrading the game but will wait until it drops quite a bit in price. I only really play campaigns and pvp, and while everyone knows about the sh*tty campaign, pvp just doesn't offer enough to get me to splash out. I have gone from a 1:1 k/d ratio to regularly getting 5/10 kill streaks but still don't feel like it makes a difference to the game (still convinced it's weighted towards the losing team), the delay in play is frustrating so much getting shot when you make it to cover, and it has my pet peeve of being dropped into the middle of a game.

There's something there, and probably more if you're into all the stuff the lads on here talk about (raids, trials, etc) but with Halo 5 and Battlefront out soon this will end up in my pile of games, so I'll wait til TTK legendary edition is going for about 30 and I'll jump back in.

You can get TTK for £35 pounds from simply games. For the amount of content you won't get a better price on any game.

In relation to your point about PvP I think it has the best PvP setup I've played in a long time. I only played PvP on the 360 for years and this is by far the most enjoyable experience I've ever had. Yes there can be instances of lag but nothing compared to COD. Destiny also has one of the best PvP modes in any game with TOO.

With people mentioning day 1 adoptors getting burned on price I do agree slightly but like Bohrio said above if you look at the cost to time you've put in I've gotten a bargain. I've 800+ hours in the game and collectively I've spent €110 on all the content including the TTK. So that works out at 13c an hour and I haven't even started TTK yet.

I think most people who play regularly are not complaining about the price but the people who gave up early or who are thinking about coming back now are.

I used to spend €100+ on one night out drinking with the lads and the only thing I had to show for it was a pounding headache and a pair of smelly jeans :) I'd rather spend the money on Destiny now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You can get TTK for £35 pounds from simply games. For the amount of content you won't get a better price on any game.

In relation to your point about PvP I think it has the best PvP setup I've played in a long time. I only played PvP on the 360 for years and this is by far the most enjoyable experience I've ever had. Yes there can be instances of lag but nothing compared to COD. Destiny also has one of the best PvP modes in any game with TOO.

With people mentioning day 1 adoptors getting burned on price I do agree slightly but like Bohrio said above if you look at the cost to time you've put in I've gotten a bargain. I've 800+ hours in the game and collectively I've spent €110 on all the content including the TTK. So that works out at 13c an hour and I haven't even started TTK yet.

I think most people who play regularly are not complaining about the price but the people who gave up early or who are thinking about coming back now are.

I used to spend €100+ on one night out drinking with the lads and the only thing I had to show for it was a pounding headache and a pair of smelly jeans :) I'd rather spend the money on Destiny now :D

PvP in Destiny is fantastic. It's the first fps in ages that I find myself thinking about when not playing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement