Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Only a matter of time before they were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Though I am interested to see what the emotes will be

Micro-transactions for cosmetic goods are fine in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Very, very skeptical of micro transactions. Won't be buying any of this emote nonsense, but I am still very wary of micro transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Would love to have a new dance for my awoken character but don't want to encourage this micro transaction ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Thanks to the lads for helping me pop my kings fall cherry tonight. Good fun and much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Sunbreaker is ridiculously over powered in PvP. Not only can you throw 7-8 hammers that can 1HK and have splash damage in one super charge, but they also get health regen and an overshield. That is bonkers.

I get the impression that there are factions in the Bungie devs, split amongst the three classes, that compete to outdo each other by introducing jammy mechanics to the respective classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Spent €20 on the emotes last night.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

If they introduce microtransactions for changing your character(s) facial/hair settings, mine all need beards (even my female warlock :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Cheers to Mick, Ger, Johnny, Mannad and new guy Viali for the raid last night.

Didn't think we'd get oryx (it was getting late) but he went down smooth enough in the end.

My poxy swine of a hunter got the chest, auto rifle and a 310 shotgun.

I hate that guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Played up to Oryx for the first time yesterday. Four of the guys have been hammering the hell out of it for the past three weeks so found it pretty easy with the exception of the jumping parts. I hate the platform bits, jumping the Hive ships in particular.
    Got the Machine Gun, Ghost and Mark which pushed me to 300 and then 303 after opening a few exotic engrams. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheers to Mick, Ger, Johnny, Mannad and new guy Viali for the raid last night.

Didn't think we'd get oryx (it was getting late) but he went down smooth enough in the end.

My poxy swine of a hunter got the chest, auto rifle and a 310 shotgun.

I hate that guy...

Don't tell lies you love him :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm all for micro-transactions if it brings down the price of the next DLC or even makes it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be interesting to see where the miro transactions go - starting with emotes but where will it go. I would predict a consumable similar to the Focused Light, which will enable a faster XP gain, something similar for Reputation gains. I would hazard a guess that the ground work for the micro transactions has been laid by the nerfing of radiant light, reputation and experience from bounties. Wonder if Three of Coins will become a micro transaction purchase (as well as via strange coins)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm fundamentally against micro transactions as I drink a lot and have a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Will be interesting to see where the miro transactions go - starting with emotes but where will it go. I would predict a consumable similar to the Focused Light, which will enable a faster XP gain, something similar for Reputation gains. I would hazard a guess that the ground work for the micro transactions has been laid by the nerfing of radiant light, reputation and experience from bounties. Wonder if Three of Coins will become a micro transaction purchase (as well as via strange coins)

Purchasable strange coins.

i'm going to end up asking the other half for an advance on my pocket money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Emotes, shaders ... none of this interests me much.

But ... what about a year 2 Fatebringer? Now that I might pay good money for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I'm really against micro transactions, I see them as a real creeping death to a franchise. In my experience they bring nothing to the game but a sense of resentment.

Granted, my last exposure with them was Battlefield 4, which left me with a real bad impression of them. With Battlefield, you were always made to feel like you didn't own the full game, you were never a premium member and always some interloper into the game. They also took every available opportunity to mention this to you.

That being said - if they do plan to use micro transactions to fund further development of the game, I would like to see them publish their goals and the funds required to meet these goals - in the same way Kickstarter projects publish targets and the funds required to hit these targets.
    "We raised 2 million dollars - you get a new Strike"... Something to that effect.

To be fair - Destiny has been an amazing value game (even though I haven't played TTK - I did fork out for the emotes though...) but Bungie are really pushing their luck with their pricing. €20 for some emotes was madness considering how much we've already spent on the game. Adding micro transactions has the feeling of being a bridge too far.

• Advertisement

wow - nightfall looks kinda brutal.

Shield Brothers.
    Epic.
    Brawler.
    No Radar (Chaff)
    Enemy Shields resistant to no matched elemental damage.

Fook that!

Micro transactions for cosmetic stuff, is something I could live with (maybe), but if they start charging for XP buffs and stuff that effects game play, I think I would be done with Destiny.

wes wrote: »
    Micro transactions for cosmetic stuff, is something I could live with (maybe)

I still have an issue with that - sure emotes are OK, but where do they draw the line?
    Is a class item considered cosmetic?
    Is a specific armour set considered cosmetic?
    What if they start charging for the new Iron Banner / Trials armour?
    What if you can buy armour that's a higher light level than your current gear?
    What if they allow you to cherry pick the perks on the armour they sell but not on the armour you earn?

I'm sure I'm being paranoid but these things do seem to creep into games, once some executive realises he can make another 5% profit, without having the cost of creating any new content...

I still have an issue with that - sure emotes are OK, but where do they draw the line?
    Is a class item considered cosmetic?
    Is a specific armour set considered cosmetic?
    What if they start charging for the new Iron Banner / Trials armour?
    What if you can buy armour that's a higher light level than your current gear?
    What if they allow you to cherry pick the perks on the armour they sell but not on the armour you earn?

I'm sure I'm being paranoid but these things do seem to creep into games, once some executive realises he can make another 5% profit, without having the cost of creating any new content...

I am agree with what your saying here. I am not fan of micro transactions, but I am going to wait and see how things go. If they start charging for Armour and weapons, then I can see myself dropping the game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Armour is 100% not cosmetic, there's no grey area there. They're not dumb enough to start charging for stuff that effects the game, they'll make their money by people buying "silver" in much the same way games like Warframe do.

This could be a good thing as it might pave the way for cheaper or even free expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Fieldog wrote: »
    Hey Declan,

Hope you enjoy the game! :)

It all depends on your play style really of these kind of games as to what class you choose -

Warlock - my main, best melee, best floaty jumps, quickest revives (eventually!) may not be as quick off the mark as a Titan or Hunter in a scrap with a gun

Titan - Hard as nails power and strength wise, has higher jumps than Warlock but less controllable in the air

Hunter - the sneaky shnake of Destiny, can go invisible, has a cool initial super and if used correctly can decimate a whole team, cons : not really powerful as the other 2 and has a weak melee but makes up for it with speed and agility (not the best jumper though)

If I was to start all over again I would probably level all 3 characters up as far as 20 with standard story and then make my decision... (repetitive, I know!)

Feel free to join the Clan and shoot me an invite when you want : Fieldog

Cheers dude!
    I Jumped into it last night, but it was late enough by the time i got started. I went with a Hunter in the end, I like the speed and agility aspect. But i think i'll try and level up a Titan also. I'm doing all the missions, not jumping into the Taken King stuff, just so i know whats happening with the story, i know the story is meant to be light enough, but i figure its best to do it anyway. I joined the clan, it think its the second clan. Once i get leveled up a bit, Ill send you a request. Are people still doing the old raids? Is it worth doing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Paradox is the daily today. Possibility of the hidden room becoming available by more traditional methods?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This could be a good thing as it might pave the way for cheaper or even free expansions.

I really don't see this reducing the cost of any expansions, why would they reduce the price of an expansion if they see the expansion and silver sales as 2 separate revenue streams.

If anything, this will reduce the likeliness of them offering any new emotes / shaders / sparrows with future expansions as these can be sold separately.

Again, it's probably something the community could get behind if they published a set of targets and a set of goals, like Kickstarter - but realistically there will be no transparency between how much they're making from silver sales and what their costs for making new content are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Cheers dude!
    I Jumped into it last night, but it was late enough by the time i got started. I went with a Hunter in the end, I like the speed and agility aspect. But i think i'll try and level up a Titan also. I'm doing all the missions, not jumping into the Taken King stuff, just so i know whats happening with the story, i know the story is meant to be light enough, but i figure its best to do it anyway. I joined the clan, it think its the second clan. Once i get leveled up a bit, Ill send you a request. Are people still doing the old raids? Is it worth doing them?

For the time being, I think everyone has been concentrating on getting their light level high enough to tackle and conquer TTK raid. I would recommend experiencing Vault of Glass and Crota's End. The gear may be obsolete, but they will give you an experience of the 6 polayer content. VoG is the better of the two old Raids, and TTK raid Kings Fall follows in it's footsteps.

When your up to a high enough level for both, I'm sure people would be willing to bring you through them, me among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Are people still doing the old raids? Is it worth doing them?

If you want to run VoG & Crota I'll help.

You're welcome to add me. PSN is below.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement