Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I really don't see this reducing the cost of any expansions, why would they reduce the price of an expansion if they see the expansion and silver sales as 2 separate revenue streams.

If anything, this will reduce the likeliness of them offering any new emotes / shaders / sparrows with future expansions as these can be sold separately.

Again, it's probably something the community could get behind if they published a set of targets and a set of goals, like Kickstarter - but realistically there will be no transparency between how much they're making from silver sales and what their costs for making new content are.

It wouldn't be unheard of, Halo 5 has no season pass and all the map packs will be free because the revenue stream will be from micro-transactions on Titanfall style card packs which you can earn in game without spending money anyway.

Emotes/shaders/sparrows are all meaningless anyway, the micro transactions are aimed at the folks who spent 20 quid on hammertime not someone like yourself as far as I can see. I'll be very surprised if they start charging for stuff that will give players an edge in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,848 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I really don't see this reducing the cost of any expansions, why would they reduce the price of an expansion if they see the expansion and silver sales as 2 separate revenue streams.

If anything, this will reduce the likeliness of them offering any new emotes / shaders / sparrows with future expansions as these can be sold separately.

Again, it's probably something the community could get behind if they published a set of targets and a set of goals, like Kickstarter - but realistically there will be no transparency between how much they're making from silver sales and what their costs for making new content are.
    Article on Kotaku last night (linked on this thread I think) saying Bungie are planning a free expansion/dlc delivery in year two, with micro-transactions replacing them in money generating terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'll be very surprised if they start charging for stuff that will give players an edge in the game.

Here's hoping, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    We've all seen too many instances of micro transactions being handled poorly and instances of games price gouging.

Let's hope Bungie really are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Article on Kotaku last night (linked on this thread I think) saying Bungie are planning a free expansion/dlc delivery in year two, with micro-transactions replacing them in money generating terms.

I did read that article, but I think it's only a matter of time before someone at Activision comes up with a sales pitch saying they can cut costs and increase profits by charging for both the DLC and the micro-transactions.

Realistically speaking every company wants to reduce or offset their costs as much as possible and increase their revenue.
    In this case the cost being hiring a development crew to create a new expansion.

What company would willingly take on that high of a cost, when they know for a fact, from past experiences the fans will pay for an expansion pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Makes me wonder if that young lad who was with us in Court last night has ever played a game that didn't have DLC or preorder add-ons etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm happy to be proved wrong here. But I don't see the funds generated from this revenue stream to actually fund decent content.

We'll be getting "Quests" (i.e. do the same base game content again but holding a fusion rifle and with a black wax idol activated while brawler is on) and "Additional In Game Content" (See missions in the same areas with short lengths and diminishing returns - "Blighted Coven Heroic Coming Spring 2015!!!" - And some lobbed together half-assed strikes) and a drip feed of "New PvP Map(s) Coming Soon" rammed down our throat.

If people think the content will be on par with Missions like Regicide, Strikes like Sunless Cell and Raids like VoG/Kings Fall..... you're fooling yourself.

I was more than happy with the €20 every 3 or 4 months model as long as it delivered:
    3 (tDB) to 5 (HoW) Missions
    1 (HoW) to 2 (tDB) Strikes
    And 1 End Game Activity (PoE or CE Raid)
    Along with 3+ Crucible Maps.

Why? Because though initially that was not value, as weeks went on it became valuable as you replayed it (there's no getting away from replay-ability, get in a bed with it or you should just play another game)

The only guaranteed positive is a reduction in the fragmentation of the gaming community.
    If all content is "Free", then you won't have people who have Vanilla, Vanilla + TDB + HoW, or Full tTK all having splintered experiences of the game.

Who here thinks we'll actually get a free raid between now and Destiny 2? I don't to be blunt.

It'll be either NOT there and they'll coast on tTK and Kings Fall success, maybe revamp VoG or CE (though doubtful) or it'll be presented as a €7.50 add-on that they know they can cash grab Year 1 and New Players with (I would pay €7.50 for a Raid and €2 for a Strike) as long as it's GOOD content, not "Fist of Crota" s**t, or "The Nexus"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

If there's anyone Knockin around for a half hour, could ye give me a dig out against the phobos boss on the hunger pangs quest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Cheers dude!
    I Jumped into it last night, but it was late enough by the time i got started. I went with a Hunter in the end, I like the speed and agility aspect. But i think i'll try and level up a Titan also. I'm doing all the missions, not jumping into the Taken King stuff, just so i know whats happening with the story, i know the story is meant to be light enough, but i figure its best to do it anyway. I joined the clan, it think its the second clan. Once i get leveled up a bit, Ill send you a request. Are people still doing the old raids? Is it worth doing them?

When you get up to 25/26 we will do VoG and Crota together if you want?

I'm still a bit off Kings Fall yet as I want to get all 3 characters "Kings Fall" ready before going in there.... :)

I have a friend who also recently started playing and he wants to do VoG and Crota so we will get him to jump into it with us, bit of help from Optimus will be great also... :)

Also F**K that NightFall, won't be doing it for 1) My sanity and 2) Out of protest for the s**t rewards.

IF enough people don't do the NF across the player base, Bungie will pick up on that and change the rewards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cormac... wrote: »
    IF enough people don't do the NF across the player base, Bungie will pick up on that and change the rewards

Kind of akin to a prison dirty protest - if we all don't do the nightfall, they will have to bump the rewards...

(more out of cell time!)

:P

• Advertisement

45 fragments down, now.... Fears Embrace to do. So close...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Kind of akin to a prison dirty protest - if we all don't do the nightfall, they will have to bump the rewards...

(more out of cell time!)

:P

I already started a rant on Reddit, I expect many salty down votes from the knuckle dragging masses, before I back down and just delete the whole f**king thing:o

"The NF is meant to be hard! If you can't do it, just stop playing! You sound entitled, you don't deserve Exotics if you can't do the NF" - point totally missed, repeat ad nauseum

Also F**K that NightFall, won't be doing it for 1) My sanity and 2) Out of protest for the s**t rewards.

They're going to have to bring back Radiant Light. Given the difficulty of nightfall now it should be the least we're getting.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's the lack of rep and XP buff that's the issue, the material rewards were always hit and miss.

have my 45 fragments. Now, for Phobos. Gonna need a couple of guardians to help later on, if people are willing. Barely got the normal mission done yesterday with Salty, a more difficult version with an extra boss seems like it will need 3 people...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

If you want to run VoG & Crota I'll help.

You're welcome to add me. PSN is below.

Fieldog wrote: »
    When you get up to 25/26 we will do VoG and Crota together if you want?

I'm still a bit off Kings Fall yet as I want to get all 3 characters "Kings Fall" ready before going in there.... :)

I have a friend who also recently started playing and he wants to do VoG and Crota so we will get him to jump into it with us, bit of help from Optimus will be great also... :)

Cheers guys, Ill add you later tonight. Just a question, so I used the Spark to level up my hunter, should i be doing these two raids soon, or does it matter if i go to a high level, like 30-35. Will i be over powered or does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I did read that article, but I think it's only a matter of time before someone at Activision comes up with a sales pitch saying they can cut costs and increase profits by charging for both the DLC and the micro-transactions.

Realistically speaking every company wants to reduce or offset their costs as much as possible and increase their revenue.
    In this case the cost being hiring a development crew to create a new expansion.

What company would willingly take on that high of a cost, when they know for a fact, from past experiences the fans will pay for an expansion pack?

Im slowly making my way through the taken war, and while the missions are grand, they surely aren't very hard to manufacture from a technical standpoint. Its not like they're constructing new areas or anything, they're all pretty much a simple case of get from A to B having the occasional firefight along the way and then a boss encounter at the end and some ghost / vanguard dialog layered over it. I could see them releasing things like that periodically, but I would imagine that the likes of Raids and PvP arenas would have to stay as paid expansion packs.

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Cheers guys, Ill add you later tonight. Just a question, so I used the Spark to level up my hunter, should i be doing these two raids soon, or does it matter if i go to a high level, like 30-35. Will i be over powered or does that matter?

There's no hurry on the raids. "Does that matter?" No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Cheers to Mick, Ger, Johnny, Mannad and new guy Viali for the raid last night.

Didn't think we'd get oryx (it was getting late) but he went down smooth enough in the end.

My poxy swine of a hunter got the chest, auto rifle and a 310 shotgun.

I hate that guy...

How do you meet fellow Boards Clan people, I believe I'm in the XboxOne clan, but I never see anyone on the roster page? I'd like to try the raids, especially the earlier ones, as only getting back into it now.
    Last night I joined a fireteam through destinylfg.net, which was ok, was able to finish a quest to do a nightfall heroic strike.

Also, anyone do the redbull side-quests yet ?

• Advertisement

syboit wrote: »
    How do you meet fellow Boards Clan people, I believe I'm in the XboxOne clan, but I never see anyone on the roster page? I'd like to try the raids, especially the earlier ones, as only getting back into it now.
    Last night I joined a fireteam through destinylfg.net, which was ok, was able to finish a quest to do a nightfall heroic strike.

You need to add people as friends on Xbox Live, the clan feature isn't functional in the game itself unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

syboit wrote: »

it also helps if you add your gamertag to your signature in here, people can add you easily then as well.

You need to add people as friends on Xbox Live, the clan feature isn't functional in the game itself unfortunately.

Are you keeping an eye on the incoming X-Box Clan requests and adding them?
    I know Bohrio is playing more and more on PS4 so you're the only X-Box admin right now

Are you keeping an eye on the incoming X-Box Clan requests and adding them?
    I know Bohrio is playing more and more on PS4 so you're the only X-Box admin right now

I check a couple of times a week maybe or whenever someone says on here they applied to the clan., haven't seen a pending member since almost a year ago, someone has always approved them before I get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

wes wrote: »

Was just going to post this.

Any Xbox guys want to give it a bash later to get the Grimore and new Shell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

emmetkenny wrote: »

I'll definitely be on this evening. I'll give you a hand if needed. More interested in trying out the raid if you've space tonight. I imagine everyone will want to run it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'll definitely be on this evening. I'll give you a hand if needed. More interested in trying out the raid if you've space tonight. I imagine everyone will want to run it tonight.

I'll be doing it 3 times at least. Don't mind helping anyone after that either.

Going to be on around 7 then get that mission done then 1 or 2 raids tonight depending how quick they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

have my 45 fragments. Now, for Phobos. Gonna need a couple of guardians to help later on, if people are willing. Barely got the normal mission done yesterday with Salty, a more difficult version with an extra boss seems like it will need 3 people...

I found that mission quite hard at first, almost killed her/him a few times but the green mist would always get me.

So after a bit on digging I found this is the strategy that works best for me.

You want to time it so that when the green mist starts rising he/she is almost at 1/3 no more/less.

I do as the video, first thing is kill the 2 centurions/cabals on the right (they tend to come up the ramp on your right), then hit the boss between 3-4 critical hits, then clear adds as they appear. Clear the blight and rinse and repeat. Make sure you dont put too much damage on him before he dissapears (no less than 1/3) as otherwise the mist will start to come up and by the time he appears again the mist will be almost touching the floor.

I realized almost at the end I didnt have any heavy ammo, if you run out of ammo you can use your sniper but it is a bit trickier as the boss will hide on one of the sides (normally the left) near the end and it is hard enough to kill him.

With a titan and a bubble it is pretty easy IMO

I might upload how to do it with your warlock and hunter, it is not as easy I think but it is still doable.

This mission is very hard if you just go around running and gunning, even with a team!

I check a couple of times a week maybe or whenever someone says on here they applied to the clan., haven't seen a pending member since almost a year ago, someone has always approved them before I get to them.

Cool, yeah I think one of the las always beats me too it too.

Just make sure you fire them friend requests or they will sit in Limbo.
    I get the notifications for the PS Clan 2 and sometimes have to add 3 or 4 new lads at a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

emmetkenny wrote: »

Ill be on later too if you need a hand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement