Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Gave HM Crota a run for the first time with my regular group tonight. All of us first timers. We only had 2 hours or so to get the run done before people had to head off. The first 3 checkpoints are very similar and we got through without wipes. So after some trial and error, we got Crota to the enrage timer 4 times but the sword kept disintegrating right as our swordbearer was about to deliver the final blow.

I think our rocket timing was fine and the swordbearer was already on the platform so he was there in time. I'm thinking it might have been that we were killing the swordbearer right below the ledge we were standing on instead of close to the middle Crota platform. Our Swordbearer then had sword in hand for longer than he needs to before getting into position for the first hits?

Any of the guys that have completed it here any ideas or have similar happen? Gonna run it again tomorrow night with them so any advice would be much appreciated.

From the moment your swordbearer picks up the sword you have a limited amount of time to use it.

If the sword disappears right before the last blow it means that your timer is up.

This is a common thing when you kill the swordbearer right underneath the middle section (where you would normally stand), ideally you want the swordbearer to remain at the back so you would have plenty of time to kill him.

The other reason could be that it is taking you too long to kneel him down, after you hit him for the first time, when he stands up, count to 4 and then start shooting rockets again, if you wait to long the sword will disappear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

How were you taking him down? Rockets?

You want to have everyone firing rockets (tracking) at the same time - your sword bearer should call it so that the rockets are hitting just before they jump up to the platform - so Crota is already going to his knees by the time your guy is hitting him.

If you're using a hunter to go invisible grab the sword and leg it to the rocks either side of the platform. Kneel to go invisible and call for rockets as you're invisible and just jumped onto the platform.

When hitting Crota push up on the joypad to push 'into' him - helps hits register.

But you're right - you need to take that sword knight down quick. Sometimes it's worth rocketing him rather than sniping if you've got the synths. If he goes down quick your sword bearer should get two runs in on each sword - at least three hits a time on each run.
    Yeah, we were doing all this. We were having a very specific issue though as it only happened on the last sword. If our timing for rockets etc was off or our SB's timing is off, we'd have encountered this issue on every sword, rather than specifically the very last hit of the very last sword - 4 times. I suppose what I'm asking is, for the last sword is there anything different that could cause this?

On the very last sword, as he enraged, we'd take his shield down again, as we had done each run. Our swordbearer would already be on the platform invisible, so as close as you can get to Crota. But as soon as he'd go to deliver the very last blow to kill Crota, as in hit no. 18, the Sword would disintegrate. On the first two swords, we would get six hits away no problem without any sign of the sword disintegrating. Is the final sword timer shorter? Should we be trying to get, say, 13 hits on the first two swords, and 5 on the final, rather than 6?

The only thing I can think of is that we were killing the final SB right under the window ledge, as we would lure him there when we were waiting for Crota to cycle middle, right, middle after the Ogres. This meant that the swordbearer had the sword in hand around 3/4 seconds longer than the first two swords.

As you can see, I've thought about this too much, but getting him down to the last blow 4 times and seeing the sword disintegrate each time is an absolute head melt. :pac:

Bohrio wrote: »
    From the moment your swordbearer picks up the sword you have a limited amount of time to use it.

If the sword disappears right before the last blow it means that your timer is up.

This is a common thing when you kill the swordbearer right underneath the middle section (where you would normally stand), ideally you want the swordbearer to remain at the back so you would have plenty of time to kill him.

The other reason could be that it is taking you too long to kneel him down, after you hit him for the first time, when he stands up, count to 4 and then start shooting rockets again, if you wait to long the sword will disappear as well.

Yeah, from reading that, it's almost certainly where we are killing the final swordbearer. It's the only thing we were doing differently in the run. The extra 3 or 4 seconds of sword in hand are causing the problem here, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Use Tracking rockets on the Swordbearer the minute her comes out, get a lock, aim up, and have rocket drop on him from above, also make sure you use snipers to stagger him, if all 6 of you are shooting him, he'll be down in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

What a couple of runs at VoG and Crota.

Two good runs at VoG - SteveDPirate getting the Vex not once, but twice! What's better than getting your first Vex on your first run at VoG? Getting your second on your second run!

I got the 'usual' (Atheon's Epilogue and the pulse rifle), but when i dropped back to the tower I noticed that my primary inventory was full ... and that there was an unexpected package waiting for me at the postmaster.

Could it ..

Could it be ... Suros? Red Death?

No.

It was the same thing I bought from Xur on a stupid impulse on Friday - Universal Remote! This continues the trend of stuff I buy dropping for me from Raids within 7 days (Plan C/Dragon's Breath and now Universal Remote).

RNG has a sense of humour - three legendary engrams dropped for me in ROC strikes today - all three converted to exotic armour (Helm of Innermost Light, Knucklehead Radar and Crest of Alpha Lupi).

They are some decent drops from engrams.

I was genuinely surprised to get 2 Vex in such a short space of time. And then P&T dropped on my third run last night. Including the 2 Crota Raid weapons I picked up a few days ago, it was a very good week for me. I'm loving Fang of Ir Yut.

I miscalculated the number of shards needed to get my Titan to 32. Still short 10 so back to the grind tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Yeah, from reading that, it's almost certainly where we are killing the final swordbearer. It's the only thing we were doing differently in the run. The extra 3 or 4 seconds of sword in hand are causing the problem here, I reckon.

Yes, I have seen this happen a lot. If it is the case that the swordbearer goes underneath the middle section there is little you can do about it, once is there you can try to lour him out but it is a risky move.

But if you can't avoid it then I see 4 options:

One would be hitting him 4 +3 on one of the first 2 swords, then he should enrage on the second to last sword blow instead of the last one giving you enough time to kill him. This is what I normally do, I try to take as much health as possible on the first 1 sword (for example, 4+4 or 5x4) then I decide how many hits I can give him on the next sword and bring him down close to enraging so after the ogres I dont need to worry about running out of sword (ideally you want him to enrage on the 2 sword blow of the 3rd sword not any sooner).

Another option is for your swordbearer to go invisible before grabbing the sword and jump from the middle section straight to crota instead of going right/left and kneeling to go invisible.

Or another way of doing it is if the swordbearer doesnt feel comfortable jumping from the middle platform to go left/right but dont bother going invisible, just jump as if you were a titan/warlock but you will need to time your rockets well.

And last but not least is bring crota down the second time very quickly, start shooting rockets while crotas shield are yellow (but try to calculate in a way that by the time the rockets get there his shield will be blue again), this is tricky as by this time, he would have enrange and people tend to panic at this stage

Personally I think the first option is the safest but I undestand that it is not always possible to hitting more than 3 times (mostly due to lag).

Another thing you could try is for someone to generate orbs outside the ogres room (after you kill the ogres, a titan bubble would be perfect) then, the sword guy, once he has the sword, can pick up an orb before jumping to crota (I believe orbs extend the sword duration)...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think orbs extend sword duration, where you getting that from?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't think orbs extend sword duration, where you getting that from?

Emmet, so you could be right, you can't trust enniscorthians ;)

I might try one day and see if it is true or not

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm declaring shenanigans on that :p even when I've been able to get a few supers off the sword only lasted for two kneels.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I never said that. Go away with your secrets and lies :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

how many kneels should it take a 32 to kill Crota? We finally got past the deathsinger but never really came close to killing Crota. Think the best we managed was 2 bashes at Crota but he hadn't even lost a quarter of his health bar.

Also, for each kneel should you be trying to get in 3 swipes? Or just 2?

McG wrote: »
    how many kneels should it take a 32 to kill Crota? We finally got past the deathsinger but never really came close to killing Crota. Think the best we managed was 2 bashes at Crota but he hadn't even lost a quarter of his health bar.

I would say at stage go for three heavy (RT/R2) hits on each kneel, 2 kneels per sword. First hit at least should be before he is actually on his knee as you can damage him as soon as the shield is depleted. 2 hits would not be enough to kill him on time.

By going for three each kneel it keeps the pressure off as you should enrage him on the first kneel of the third sword (after ogres).

You could also try get 5 hits on each kneel and have him killed before the ogres but if you've never beaten him you're only putting pressure on yourself, better of going for the three each kneel as it gives you plenty of time to get your hits in and get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Or you could do a Mick and try kill him before the ogres on HM only to have the game do its level best to glitch-stop you doing it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Or you could do a Mick and try kill him before the ogres on HM only to have the game do its level best to glitch-stop you doing it that way!

True story! We saw that twice in one night. Mick's sword was too OP for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Just finished watching District 9, must say those alien weapons looked an awful lot like icebreakers :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McG wrote: »

You can do it in two swords if you get six hits in with each sword. That requires good timing between sword bearer and rocket guys.

Get him down, hit three times, go invisible or jump to the ledge at the sides. Rockets again, up and hit another three times. Repeat.

Three swords more likely if you have people who haven't done it before. After two swords you have to kill the Ogres.

It's all about timing though. Don't go for three hits with the sword unless you are hitting him straight away after he goes down. Otherwise you won't have time for three hits. Don't be tempted to take an extra shot either, you'll almost certainly die.

Yeah we got that HM done tonight. A couple of wipes for timing and then we were all good. the advice earlier was good. We unloaded on the SB up top and it made all the difference when he enraged.

Now the proud owner of Glowhoo, a helm and NLB. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Got an exotic drop for the first time in the roc strike playlist, I got Plan C and it's my first time getting it too. I won't really be using it as I'm not a fan of fusion rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Got two legendary engrams from the weekly last night, one turned out to be The Chosen sniper rifle.

The lad I was playing with picked up two as well from a piblic event on Venus. They seem to be dropping more lately.

wexdevil wrote: »
    Got an exotic drop for the first time in the roc strike playlist, I got Plan C and it's my first time getting it too. I won't really be using it as I'm not a fan of fusion rifles.

It's a great fusion rifle wexdevil - it dropped for me a while back and when fully levelled up it's great. Having said that I'm finding shotguns more heavy hitting since the buff (if a little more risky as you have to be super aggressive to close distance as your range for doing mega damage is practically point blank)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HavelTRock

www(Dot)youtube(Dot)com/watch?v=cedEjHNHtrk&ab_channel=RoosterTeeth

Ok ladies

Nightfall is Sepiks Prime

Epic
    Nightfall
    Arc Burn
    Lightswitch
    Angry

Weekly

Heroic
    Lightswitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I'm just happy to see a burn.The Fatebringer will be doing some good slaughtering tonight :)

Ok ladies

Nightfall is Sepiks Prime

Epic
    Nightfall
    Arc Burn
    Lightswitch
    Angry

Weekly

Heroic
    Lightswitch

Megaman predicted right again. He is onto something lads so this RNG is crap.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Megaman predicted right again. He is onto something lads so this RNG is crap.

So when I say RNG is crap nobody listens but when Megaman says it everyone does!!

So unfair lol

So when I say RNG is crap nobody listens but when Megaman says it everyone does!!

So unfair lol

He provided evidence you just said it :P

Be on around 7 tonight.

Anyone on for a NF run on X1 this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Anyone on for a NF run on X1 this morning?

I'll be on in about 20 minutes if you fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

I'll be on in about 20 minutes if you fancy?

I'll be on in 5mins

• Advertisement

Awesome - I'll hang on your you guys. Jump in when you see me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement