Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (See first post for details on joining boards.ie clan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

AdamD wrote: »
    Meh I have to disagree, I have one of each and regret it as the effort required to keep them all at high level content is too high. When HoW comes out I'm gonna wanna complete the raid day 1, when HM for HoW comes out I'm gonna wanna complete that on day 1 too, I'd be able to do these with less grinding of boring strikes and bounties if I had 3 Hunters.

How does having 3 of 1 class help you complete the Raid day 1? :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,288 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had one of each for ages and bar supers there really isn't enough difference between the classes to warrant it for me. I kept the warlock because self res is handy and the game is too stale at this stage to level a fifth character plus it was a higher level than the titan. The classes and subclasses aren't really complex enough for me to drastically change my play style in any way when I play as one or the other, it's not like an rpg where it's nearly like a different game when you play as a dexterity character rather than a mage or a tank. the game felt more different when I switched to handcannons from auto rifles than it did when I switch between hunter, titan or warlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

AdamD wrote: »
    Meh I have to disagree, I have one of each and regret it as the effort required to keep them all at high level content is too high. When HoW comes out I'm gonna wanna complete the raid day 1, when HM for HoW comes out I'm gonna wanna complete that on day 1 too, I'd be able to do these with less grinding of boring strikes and bounties if I had 3 Hunters.

Yeap, me as well.

I have all 3 characters and personally If i had to do it again I wouldnt do titan/warlock/hunter combination (in fact, I didnt).

Took me 1 day to bring a guy from 1 to 31 and 2 more to bring the other 2 to 20s so it is not really that hard work. But it wasnt always fun (it wasnt horrible either).

Obviously the grinding wasnt great craic but neither is doing the dailys or raids over and over and over. I mean, we have been doing the same missions/raids for over 5 months, I would be more concern if I was still enjoying doing them everyday than if I wasnt. Although this will depend on the people you are playing with.

Sometimes is enjoyable but other times is just business.

But it is the way bungie desinged the game, they dont want us to enjoy every second of the game, they want us to spend every second of our spare time playing it.

Forgot to say, like Mick already mentioned, the difference between characters is not enough for me to want to spend time leveling up each one of them. Now is ok because I am already 32 but not enough to do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I'm actually enjoying bringing my second character along through the missions (lvl 10 titan).

Once I've done my bounties, dailies and raids for the main character (lvl 31 hunter) I'll spend an hour or two doing a few story missions and bounties with the Titan.

I find I'm paying a bit more attention to the "story" and taking notice of some of the cool mission locations which aren't always accessible in patrols etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I levelled a titan up but just find it boring. I much prefer the hunter although I haven't tried warlock yet...might just level him just for the weekly's etc.

• Advertisement

Here's something I was wondering.

If you get the loot chest on a raid on NM can you get them again on HM.

If not is there any difference between the quality of loot in the different modes? (From the loot chests)

I'm actually enjoying bringing my second character along through the missions (lvl 10 titan).

That's really the main thing.
    You're gonna find yourself a bit short on "Platsteel Plating" when you hit level 24 etc. But you'll just need to adopt to a 1xlvl31 and 1xlvl24 type style of play for a few weeks.
    My rant wasn't aimed at anyone who is quiet happy to level 3 of the same character (I've pointed out that isn't my style personally).
    I just think advising a level 30 to power level 2 more of the same character to 30 so they can hit 32 on their main is bad advice.
    If I was starting playing the game now, I'd be but off by doing the same thing in it's entirity so quickly.
    I'm trying to space out my enjoyment, hence why I haven't levelled my Titan much.
    After you have 2 characters at a decent level you can decide what you want to do with your 3rd.
    If you're having fun, keep at it! :)
    Here's something I was wondering.

If you get the loot chest on a raid on NM can you get them again on HM.

If not is there any difference between the quality of loot in the different modes? (From the loot chests)

Both Hard Mode Crota chests and the Deathsinger drop will contain nothing if you got them on Normal Mode.
    2 of the VoG chests will contain nothing on HM if you completed it on Normal.
    The VoG Exotic chest will give you the difference in shards/energy, so 4 (6 on Hard, 2 on Normal)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cormac... wrote: »
    How does having 3 of 1 class help you complete the Raid day 1? :confused:

I would only need higher level gear for one class, which is less vanguard marks or whatever is required to get them. For HM I'd only need one set of max level gear, which is easier to acquire when you're running the same class 3 times rather than 3 classes once and you also only have to rank up one set of gear rather than 3. Way way less grind.

I think what you're missing here is that I'm pretty much bored as **** with every strike and mission at this stage so having to play some for plasteel platings or to do a bounty is not what I want to be doing to get my characters to a level where I can enjoy a new raid. This issue could be solved if they fixed Crucible rewards which are absolutely pathetic atm.

Blazer wrote: »
    I levelled a titan up but just find it boring. I much prefer the hunter although I haven't tried warlock yet...might just level him just for the weekly's etc.

Yeah I love the hunter.

I don't think I will enjoy either of the other classes as much.

The hunter is tough as nails and can run away like a little girl too, and hide.

I really love all the cool ways you can use invisibility and once I get the don't touch me gloves, I'll be able to max out invisibilty.

The hunter is tough as nails and can run away like a little girl too, and hide.

The hunter is pretty much the weakest (armour wise) of the 3 classes by default, you can re-spec all subclasses of course, but at a massive expense to 1 statistic

• Advertisement

That's really the main thing.
    You're gonna find yourself a bit short on "Platsteel Plating" when you hit level 24 etc. But you'll just need to adopt to a 1xlvl31 and 1xlvl24 type style of play for a few weeks.
    My rant wasn't aimed at anyone who is quiet happy to level 3 of the same character (I've pointed out that isn't my style personally).
    I just think advising a level 30 to power level 2 more of the same character to 30 so they can hit 32 on their main is bad advice.
    If I was starting playing the game now, I'd be but off by doing the same thing in it's entirity so quickly.
    I'm trying to space out my enjoyment, hence why I haven't levelled my Titan much.
    After you have 2 characters at a decent level you can decide what you want to do with your 3rd.
    If you're having fun, keep at it! :)

I've been eyeing that Platsteel Plating up with curiosity alright. Was wondering what its for - I presume its the Titan equivalent of Weapon Parts of something?

Oh and last evening, I first figured out that all rare and legendary armour I had been saving up in the Vault for my Titan/Warlock is useless to me because its class specific - I knew there were class specific items because I had gotten a couple drops of warlock specific stuff before (which I kept) but hadn't realised its actually all the stuff.

Anyway not the end of the world because I had a load of stuff which I broke down with my Titan and now have a good number of Ascendant Shards for when they are required.

I've been eyeing that Platsteel Plating up with curiosity alright. Was wondering what its for - I presume its the Titan equivalent of Weapon Parts of something?

Blue engrams when broken down will decode for the class you're using
    Purple engrams can be for any class.
    Best way to build up "Armour materials" is to put all blue armour engrams into your vault with your main character. Then every now and then, take them out with your 2nd character and dismantle them as appropriate

The hunter is pretty much the weakest (armour wise) of the 3 classes by default, you can re-spec all subclasses of course, but at a massive expense to 1 statistic

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the rating is exactly - but I think my armor is very high, about 75% - 80%, but my recovery is only about 20%. But that suits my style perfect, because it means you can hold your ground for a good bit provided you've a good run and cover strategy - which most often is as simple as blink striking an enemy and standing silently beside the rest until the recovery has kicked in. Plus the good agility makes dodging shots and enemies pretty fool-proof.

Getting the Don't touch me gloves has me literally salivating with anticipation at the possibilities.

Blue engrams when broken down will decode for the class you're using
    Purple engrams can be for any class.
    Best way to build up "Armour materials" is to put all blue armour engrams into your vault with your main character. Then every now and then, take them out with your 2nd character and dismantle them as appropriate

Cool I'll do that from now on, the one sI referred to were all simply decoded a while back and stashed for when I started a new character.

I did not know Armour was class specific AT ALL for about 7 weeks, had a full blue set stashed in there from my Hunter by my Warlock :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just taking the occasional glance at this thread, I have to admit I'm relieved at my decision to bow out once I reached the end of the campaign. Just sounds like the most horrid repetitious, timewasting fest to me after that - although that's how I felt about the game up until that point anyway :o Destiny really does seem like the natural culmination of a lot of the things I hate about modern game design.

Just taking the occasional glance at this thread, I have to admit I'm relieved at my decision to bow out once I reached the end of the campaign. Just sounds like the most horrid repetitious, timewasting fest to me after that - although that's how I felt about the game up until that point anyway :o Destiny really does seem like the natural culmination of a lot of the things I hate about modern game design.

Fair enough it may not be to your taste, but I was cautious and sceptical about buying it having done some reading about the nature of the game.

Eventually only bought it on a whim before christmas because it was reduced and I thought sure I'd get a couple weeks out of it.

So glad I did. Love it.

There's repetition, but it doesn't seem repetitious, because for the most part your spending a lot of time doing raids with others and that makes every run different.

Plus its just so so satisfying shooting things in the head, and I don't think I've ever played a game that comes even close to the perfection of the mechanics and synergy between the player/game-controller/guns

It's really just a vehicle for most of us to get together, have a few beers, make a a LOT of jokes, take $hit€ and joke around.

Ocarina of Time it is not.

But beating a Raid Boss for the 1st time with a group of your (online) friends is a sense of elation I've not experienced in very many games, maybe it's the communal thing.

And seeing a certain weapon drop is real fist in the air stuff.

You should consider picking up the 1.5 version in September. 2.5 times more content than the base game if you liked that, but not so much the grind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I think there's a very large intersection in our gaming interests, but I couldn't have a more different opinion of the game. Despite the flaws (of which there are plenty), it's one of the most compelling gaming experiences I've ever had.

That being said, if I hadn't 'bumped into' a couple of very good friends while playing it in my first week, I mightn't have kept at it (which says more about my attention span with respect to games than anything). In recent years we've found ourselves living different parts of the country and have jobs etc that keep us from meeting up too much. Destiny has become a hub that we hang around in. So instead of chatting on gmail, skype etc, we run strikes, patrols, raids etc.

Edit: And playing with fellow boardsies is always great :) Hoping to jump into a raid with some of you for the first time in a few weeks over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'll echo previous comments, I don't think there is enough difference between the character types to justify it. This isn't WoW after all.

I've decided I'm gonna stick with one character. I don't see the point in levelling up any others. I tried to do it with a Warlock but was so damned bored, the content is just not there to keep it interesting. They need to add class specific missions to make it more appealing, but that will never happen (not till Destiny 2 at least).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

It's really just a vehicle for most of us to get together, have a few beers, make a a LOT of jokes, take $hit€ and joke around.

Ocarina of Time it is not.

But beating a Raid Boss for the 1st time with a group of your (online) friends is a sense of elation I've not experienced in very many games, maybe it's the communal thing.

And seeing a certain weapon drop is real fist in the air stuff.

You should consider picking up the 1.5 version in September. 1.5times more content than the base game if you liked that, but not so much the grind

This is Destiny for me in a nutshell, getting online, meeting like-minded people who just want to have a laugh, and enjoy the craic and the good-natured slagging that goes on during a raid/strike. That's why I joined the Boards Clan in the first place.

I can't bothered or obsess about needing that certain gun or gloves to drop, won't lose sleep over that. It's what puts a smile on your face.

Really these 2 videos sum it up better than I ever could:

One of the best comments I saw about this one was "Can't wait to see the Call of Duty one.... oh wait...." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Benzino wrote: »
    I'll echo previous comments, I don't think there is enough difference between the character types to justify it. This isn't WoW after all.

I've decided I'm gonna stick with one character. I don't see the point in levelling up any others. I tried to do it with a Warlock but was so damned bored, the content is just not there to keep it interesting. They need to add class specific missions to make it more appealing, but that will never happen (not till Destiny 2 at least).

My main character is a Warlock and I didn't think I would create a new character. However I have started to create a Titan, the main reason is I think having the bubble shield is advantageous in certain circumstances. When I started of as a striker I found it very similar to the warlock (albeit super not as good as Nova bomb, but could punch more stuff); which to be honest was a little boring.

DrqUNUE.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I felt utterly disappointed when I made my Titan only to find out it has the worst melee. I blame the internet, stop talking about Titans and punching, its ****.

NuVitAc.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

13603989.jpg

^ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Abyss.
    Titan.
    Helm Saint-14.

all-the-things-meme-collection-1mut.com-1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Before I got an X1 just before Christmas I had probably put a max of 20 hours into games in the previous 3 years despite having a 360 and a PS3. Had two kids, didn't have time etc. Plus all my experiences with online gaming were largely negative.

Got an X1 cos a mate had one. Got Destiny on a whim cos that's what he was playing and the Halo shooter mechanics with a bigger platform appealed to me. But I foresaw playing through the 'campaign' and leaving the 'multiplayer' to others.

Have been blown away. The campaign to level 20 is good craic but what mainly carries it is just how superbly the game handles. The mechanics are just so 'right'.

There was a lull patch then as the content ran out and the monotony of Dinklebot and the absence of story started to grate. And then I started to get involved in regular strikes and raids with mates and the lads on here - and that completely transformed the experience.

It puts all the work leveling up into context. The abilities are unlocked organically. The lessons of how different abilities work well worn. Different styles of play explored. And then it all comes together as ye figure out how to be part of a team. Even those initial occasions where I was brought in as literally a bystander was a class insight into the camaraderie and overall bloody helpfulness of the community.

And the elements of 'grind' actually fit into how I can play games now. For the odd 30 minute gaming session, side missions (bounties, missions etc.) are bite sized and enjoyable. When I've got more time and can don a headset, the 'real' stuff (strikes and raids) is there.

I have Sunset Overdrive, AC Black Flag, Game of Thrones Episode 1 and Halo MCC collection. I have played no more than 30 mins of each... the siren call of Destiny keeps pulling me back. Up pops a game invite and away we go.

The Nightfall on Wednesday night was the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game since Halo 2 splitscreen back in the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement