Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lithium or Teflon grease

• 27-01-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

So I was wondering whether lithium or Teflon grease for my road bike. I was looking back and there doesn't seem to be any thread on this before.
    Basically I have a tub of lithium grease that's years old but just thinking if I need to use Teflon instead. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

dvntie wrote: »
    So I was wondering whether lithium or Teflon grease for my road bike. I was looking back and there doesn't seem to be any thread on this before.
    Basically I have a tub of lithium grease that's years old but just thinking if I need to use Teflon instead. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
    What do you need it for?

For bearings (and occasional use on other mechanisms) I use this grease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Seweryn wrote: »
    What do you need it for?

For bearings (and occasional use on other mechanisms) I use this grease.

Well it'll be for headset and crank bearings that ill be servicing soon.
    That looks like fierce fancy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The one above will be perfect for what you need. Not sure if it is fancy, but does the job very well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If you have lithium grease already, use it. For a long time it's all we used in work on motor bearings, shafts etc.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Lithium is fine. Dead cheap too. I bought about 500ml of the stuff from a motor factors on Capel street for under a tenner. Specific bike grease might be slightly better (I don't know), but for the price of the stuff I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I remember someone saying Lithium was nicer but because it was so fine, you had to re grease more often in some areas.

No idea myself, have used both without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Most cheap lithium greases available from motorfactors are mostly soap which is used to hold a heavy oil in suspension.

The oil/soap mixture separates and the oil dries off. These are really designed to grease the kingpins of your Austin Cambridge where they would have been re-greased every 1,000 miles according to the service schedule so this wasn't a problem in use and it was cheap to buy.

It is fine in bicycle bearings if you are the type to regularly service things. If you want something to last for a long time, use something of higher quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

piston wrote: »
    Most cheap lithium greases available from motorfactors are mostly soap which is used to hold a heavy oil in suspension.

I was wondering about this as the lithium grease i have was in no way cheaper than my teflon grease, wondered what the difference was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

So the conclusion I'm drawing here is if it's bearings use Teflon or above and if it's anything else it's lithium
    Does that sound about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Or look up the manufacturer's literature? For example, Specialized press fit system calls for specific greases and anti-seize. There's quite a detailed white paper on reassembly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've been using this grease for years...Wheels, Headsets
    pedal threads.. everything. One tub lasts forever.

http://static.pepboys.com/images/productImages/1461100/Castrol-Multi-Purpose-Wheel-Bearing-Grease-16oz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When I take my lithium I don't care which grease I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've been using this grease for years...Wheels, Headsets
    pedal threads.. everything. One tub lasts forever.

http://static.pepboys.com/images/productImages/1461100/Castrol-Multi-Purpose-Wheel-Bearing-Grease-16oz.jpg

Where's best for purchasing said grease, motor factors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

oconnpad wrote: »
    Where's best for purchasing said grease, motor factors?

The Motor factors that I bought mine in closed in 1994! :D

(Halfords do stock it yes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I use Molykote 33 for everything on mine. Works well in low temps and more importantly, is free, from work! (It's a Lithium based grease)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

piston wrote: »
    These are really designed to grease the kingpins of your Austin Cambridge where they would have been re-greased every 1,000 miles according to the service schedule so this wasn't a problem in use and it was cheap to buy.

My old man had an Austin Cambridge, back in the day. Big boat of a car, in a turquoise sort of colour, with a cream stripe along the sides. I remember getting my fingers shut in the door of it on holiday one year. JUE 214 D was the reg. - great car from what I remember (apart from the finger incident)

Advertisement