Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Theory test question

• 28-01-2015 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

So the DTT website is confusing me , I sat the theory test for car/work vehicles last week, my question is do I need to sit another for my Provisional Bike? as Ive tried to look up study material and they seem to be the same test if I'm not mistaken...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Lyndsey3000

Hello
    i sat a theory test to get my bike provisional in June
    if you get a theory test DVD, there is a motorcycles category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Your BW Driver Theory Test won't cover you. You will have to go back and do the 'AM' DTT now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Cheers guys , yeah I have the theory booked for march anyway.

just another question: seeing as Im nearly 20 and will probably want to move up to bigger bikes after a full licence is gotten what category would be best to go for? ,

Is the A2 the A provisional or are they different categories? , Considering something like a Nsr 125 as a first bike

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You need to be 24, to go straight for category A, but only 20 for progressive, once you qualified on a lower category.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

DEWF wrote: »
    Cheers guys , yeah I have the theory booked for march anyway.

just another question: seeing as Im nearly 20 and will probably want to move up to bigger bikes after a full licence is gotten what category would be best to go for? ,

Is the A2 the A provisional or are they different categories? , Considering something like a Nsr 125 as a first bike

Thanks again!

At 19 or 20 you will get category 'A2', complete IBT, you can take a test after holding you permit for six months & if you get your full 'A2' & hold it for two years you will have to options to go for category 'A'.

Apply for category 'A' permit & then either complete IBT module 5 for category 'A' (no test required), or take a driving test for category 'A'.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys! appreciate it

Roadcraft wrote: »
    At 19 or 20 you will get category 'A2', complete IBT, you can take a test after holding you permit for six months & if you get your full 'A2' & hold it for two years you will have to options to go for category 'A'.

Apply for category 'A' permit & then either complete IBT module 5 for category 'A' (no test required), or take a driving test for category 'A'.

Isn't this wiped if I've already had my first learner permit (BW) and have the 991 code already , or is it first for each category?

''All first time learner permit holders (code 991) are subject to the 6 month rule. This is how long you must wait from the date of issue before you can take your full test in that category''

The 99* notation will be specific to each learner category. Bear in mind that if you're on 993 for any category, the permit will be a 1 year permit for all categories on the permit regardless.

cool and one last question (I promise) :p ,

Was thinking 125 nsr or the likes but did some research and found I'd be able to drive a restricted bike (bros, cb400sf, 250 hornet), any advise on choosing? and I got quoted 1300 for an nsr125 with 0years no claims and 0 experience , would the insurance skyrocket for a bigger restricted bike do you think?

thanks very much for all the help!

cool and one last question (I promise) :p

Keep asking duderino :)
    Was thinking 125 nsr or the likes but did some research and found I'd be able to drive a restricted bike (bros, cb400sf, 250 hornet), any advise on choosing?

Decide what kind of bike you want and start there. I love naked bikes. If you fancy something sporty then you won't have a world of options when you think about what you can actually get insurance on. Your tastes will change as you learn more and experience more. For example I wouldn't have had a supermoto or adventure bike in my way when I started.
    I got quoted 1300 for an nsr125 with 0years no claims and 0 experience , would the insurance skyrocket for a bigger restricted bike do you think?

As above, just go and look at bikes and sit on them and come up with a list of bikes and spend and hour or two ringing around about different types of bike until you find a good fit :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement