Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington DC Hotels

Options
  • 28-01-2015 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I am thinking of going to Washington DC in September and I am looking for Hotel recommendations suitable for sight seeing and socializing.

Also is 3 nights enough to get a good view of the City, and if you have any recommendations of not so popular sights to see that would be great.
    Ta:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clearbrook

You'll need to narrow your search a bit based on what you're willing to pay, where you want to be and whether you're willing to travel a bit to get to what you'd like to see. Hotels room in DC are generally a lot cheaper on the weekends when the business travelers have cleared out. Remember that Pope Francis will be visiting sometime around the 21st (I think) so the hotels will be full for that.

You'll find less expensive digs across the river in Virginia, just be sure that the hotel is near a Metro Station on the Orange, Yellow or Blue lines. Beware of hotels with an Alexandria mailing address - the mailing area is MUCH larger than the actual city and you could wind up very far away from where you'd like to be - so be SURE to check a map before booking.

Try some searches using 1400 Constitution Avenue NW DC as your starting point. That is the physical address of the Museum of American History, which is right in the middle of the downtown monuments/museums area. If you need a zip (postal) code for your search, try 20004. That will give you an idea of pricing. You mentioned socializing - Penn Quarter near Chinatown is a pretty lively area at night.

Also, take a look at wmata dot com which is the website of the Metro system for info on the subway & bus routes.
    Three days is a good amount of time. Be sure to check out the websites for the White House, Washington Monument & US Capitol to get the particulars on seeing those sights. I can't post links yet, and each of them has different arrangements.
    Sorry I'm not recommending any specific hotels, but without more background info it's difficult and I'm most familiar with the downtown hotels where the expense account crowd stays.
    Oh, and welcome! September is a lovely time of year for visitors. Still summery, but the school groups are done with their summer visits so they'll be no crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Don't know about hotels, but there's loads to do. You can get a free pentagon tour if you email them. Also free is Arlington cemetary, Washington monument, holocaust museum, bureau of engraving and printing, Capitol Hill, Lincoln memorial, air and space museum, smithsonian museums, even the zoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I stayed with a friend in DC and it was just up the street from the Watergate Hotel. I see its been renovated and is due to open again this summer.

Might be an interesting place to stay. A little bit of history. Its in a good position, probably expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Thanks a million for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

September is a great time to visit alright as the weather is excellent but there are still crowds.

To get a tour of the White House email the Irish Embassy. There is so much to see in the capital and as said the majority of places are free. One of my favourites is the Newseum.

If you want to go to a great area to go out at night try around 14th Street and U.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

I was there in October. Great City most of the sights are fairly close so 3 days is loads. We stayed in du pont circle. The hotel was the du pont corcle
    Hotel we got it for a decent price on hotwire. I found that area central and convenient there was a metro stop there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I stayed in Embassy Suites Crystal City in Arlington on Labor Day weekend. Would highly recommend it - hot buffet breakfast and manager's reception in the evening. It's just over the bridge from DC and right beside Arlington National Cemetery. Good transport links into DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Bizarre place but amazing.

THe smithsonian is great for an afternoon and the holocaust museum is fascinating if depressing. The whitehouse was great - I even met Jay Carney! To visit that we had to first write to the irish/spanish embassy who identified us as well behaved citizens, we then had to get clearance from the USCIS confirming we were legally resident, then we had to write Nancy Pelosi's office (local congresswoman) who organized everything for us - she even did a meet and greet at the capitol!

September is a great time, the humidity is starting to go but the heat is still there - we went in October/november and it was COOOOOLD.

Advertisement