Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance

• 28-01-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I know that there was a thread on this recently enough but couldnt find it!

So my insurance is up for renewal shortly. Im with No Nonsense, and this year my quote has jumped nearly 200 quid!! From 315 to 510 TPFT. No change in circumstance. 28 Y/O male, no points 5 year+ no claims.

I know insurance is up across the board but didnt expect this much of a jump to be honest. Is this the going rate for Increases??

Getting quotes on-line but not doing much better. Would I be better going to a local broker, and if so does anyone have any recomendations??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

RINO87 wrote: »
    So my insurance is up for renewal shortly. Im with No Nonsense, and this year my quote has jumped nearly 200 quid!! From 315 to 410 TPFT. No change in circumstance. 28 Y/O male, no points 5 year+ no claims.
    €95 ;);)
    Getting quotes on-line but not doing much better. Would I be better going to a local broker, and if so does anyone have any recomendations??
    Get on the phone to these online provider too, you can often do a bit better on the phone.

Cullen Insurances in Newport, Tipp used to be quite good too (061) 378 116

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

h3000 wrote: »
    €95 ;);)

Get on the phone to these online provider too, you can often do a bit better on the phone.

Ha ha Woops!! Made a mistake in my anger! Its 515 that i was quoted:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Getting out the goldenpages and ringing them all including brokers is really the only option. Insurance depends as much on the individual as the car which means that what insurance company is cheap for anyone else here may not be the same for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Goggins Brokers in NCW has never left me down and my partners insurance is through them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Hi folks, I know that there was a thread on this recently enough but couldnt find it!

So my insurance is up for renewal shortly. Im with No Nonsense, and this year my quote has jumped nearly 200 quid!! From 315 to 510 TPFT. No change in circumstance. 28 Y/O male, no points 5 year+ no claims.

I know insurance is up across the board but didnt expect this much of a jump to be honest. Is this the going rate for Increases??

Give Allianz a call on 1890 48 48 48 and see what they offer .... post their quote to let us see their price and if it's not good enough rem you can negotiate with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

€430 , 48 Y/O male , '04 1.4 Focus , clean full license , full no claims discount . AXA .

That was the best I could get yesterday . Phoned around a good few places .... Liberty was the worst coming in at over €1000 , I burst out laughing at her on the phone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

jonski wrote: »
    .... Liberty was the worst coming in at over €1000 , I burst out laughing at her on the phone .
    I would have. Just burst out laughing and hung up in the middle of it.
    JFC, I wouldn't like to be under 25 again looking to insure a 1.4 focus if that's what you were quoted.:eek:
    I'm not up for renewal for another 6 months. Could be some epic quotes coming my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Plenty of these threads over in motors, mine was 522 last year with Zurich but my renewal came in at 842 a rise of 320. Even after shopping around the best I could get was 640 a rise of 188.

Maybe liberty don't like limerick because the quoted me €1700, had to ring them in case I entered the wrong details online but no it was the correct quote:eek:

It seems a bit wrong that something you are required by law to have (third party insurance) is left completely to private companies with zero transparency of how the rates are calculated.
    Unfortunately the alternative would surely involve some farcical jobs-for-boys quango gravy train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Try cover in a click.

• Advertisement

Kunkka wrote: »
    Try cover in a click.
    Cover in a click? you can't even get a quote in a click!
    "One of our highly trained random nuber generators will contact you at a time of our choosing".

Fairly underwhelming unless they are shockingly cheap.

"It does not have non-standard audio equipment or a non-standard car phone."
    €200 non factory radio would appear to rule me out of their business anyway. Laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

h3000 wrote: »
    €95 ;);)

They used to be but they quoted a friend of mine at over 1000 when last year it was 400. Madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

Try quote devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

You should try a local broker as companies such as Wrightway, Kennco & ARB deal through brokers only and can be a bit cheaper.

I would think Wrightway would be €315 + broker fee for 48 y/o male on 2004 1.4 Focus with full licence and full NCB for comprehensive cover

Cover in a click? you can't even get a quote in a click!
    "One of our highly trained random nuber generators will contact you at a time of our choosing".

Fairly underwhelming unless they are shockingly cheap.

"It does not have non-standard audio equipment or a non-standard car phone."
    €200 non factory radio would appear to rule me out of their business anyway. Laughable.

I'm insured with them at the moment and I am the same age as the OP. I've also worked in car insurance for over 5 years & they're the best I could find when I looked this year after asking a load of people. I did call them though so it is quite ironic given their name that you can't get a quote on the site. However I will say this from experience that most quoting websites cost a lot more than they are worth. The amount of people that set up policies on them with incorrect details or go through the web to try to avoid questions when they are trying to hide their driving history is unreal. The conversion rate on most of those websites is well under 10% and a lot of the time 5% so I can see why some only have the callback feature.

Insurance IS going up though as it's been a soft market for over 5 years which just wasn't sustainable. Add in a bad year for claims and what happened to Setanta people are going to take a hit.

What's this "though shalt not have a replacement non factory radio even if the factory one is broken" cr@p about?

Seems to have replaced "your car is not a gti or coupe" in many insurers assumptions/conditions.

Yeah I guess "cover once we've had a good think about and rang you back when it suits us" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

What's this "though shalt not have a replacement non factory radio even if the factory one is broken" cr@p about?

Seems to have replaced "your car is not a gti or coupe" in many insurers assumptions/conditions.

Yeah I guess "cover once we've had a good think about and rang you back when it suits us" doesn't exactly roll of the tongue.

Non factory radios get stolen quite frequently and raise the risk of attempted theft. A lot of insurers had it as a benefit to have them replaced but now they don't. Hardly breaking the bank but quite a high frequency so the admin alone is messy

I've had cars interfered with in Limerick several times, but never had a radio stolen. Didn't that die out around the same time people stopped stealing VCRs? Factory fit high spec Volkswagen or BMW radios are worth far more "second hand" and are the only radios I've heard of going missing in a loooong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boggirl

I am also re-newing my insurance. I was with no nonsense for years house and car - last years car insurance 178 euro (I'm old no claims ever). This year/its 328. My car is 1999mazda demo - it not even worth 328 euro. I rang them and I nearly went mental when he said that everyone's insurance is gone up. Then I met a first time driver last Tuesday who insured her car for 400. This country drives ,me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

You really do need to shop around. Different insurance companies seem to focus on different customers (your age, vehicle type, vehicle age, location. type of use), you need to find the company that has the best price for you.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've had cars interfered with in Limerick several times, but never had a radio stolen. Didn't that die out around the same time people stopped stealing VCRs? Factory fit high spec Volkswagen or BMW radios are worth far more "second hand" and are the only radios I've heard of going missing in a loooong time.

If it's worth something, it will be stolen.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If it's worth something, it will be stolen.

You're telling me my best bluegrass cds and sony radio worth less than a torch from lidl and change for the toll?!!?

How dare you haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

jonski wrote: »
    €430 , 48 Y/O male , '04 1.4 Focus , clean full license , full no claims discount . AXA .

That was the best I could get yesterday . Phoned around a good few places .... Liberty was the worst coming in at over €1000 , I burst out laughing at her on the phone .

Have you tried 25Plus.ie, same age as you, full license, full no claims 11reg 1.5, was €366 in October 2014, fully comp, other car 05reg 1.4 was €341 fully comp, also back in October 2014. Had a claim on the 11reg earlier that year, accidental damage no other vehicle involved, needed new door & a small bit of body work & my renewal was actually less than Oct 2013

Been with them a good few years now

Thanks for all the food for thought folks!!

Still waiting on cover in a click and quotedevil to get back to me!! At the moment 25 plus is WAY cheaper than the rest so thanks a million for the suggestion!! I hadnt even heard of them!! The big guns like Allianz, Aviva and Liberty all turn out to be extremely expensive!!

Will maybe look at 25 plus later. Unfortunately they are another company working in the golden pages era. Mobile site "get quote" button just passes you to an 1890 number, guaranteed to cost you money no matter how many free minutes to landlines you have. Awesome logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Will maybe look at 25 plus later. Unfortunately they are another company working in the golden pages era. Mobile site "get quote" button just passes you to an 1890 number, guaranteed to cost you money no matter how many free minutes to landlines you have. Awesome logic.

I just took out the policy & renew it online, never had to speak to anybody

I just took out the policy & renew it online, never had to speak to anybody

You may have from a "PC" (that's what they were called back in the days of golden pages yeah?) , but not from a mobile device!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Start of a year is a bad time to in sure a car as insurance company does not know how many it will have on its books for the year. so prices are usually high nothing you can do if your insurance is up for renewal.

• Advertisement

Tried 25plus from PC - relatively good price, sensible "assumptions/conditions", no messing. Definitely a contender next time round. Cheers naughtysmurf!

Advertisement