Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wexford town scam?

Options
  • 28-01-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Was Clonard Boxing club broken into? A guy came round fundraising the other nite. I hadn't heard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What's the scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Well if the club wasn't robbed it would be. How would you know? There have been some dodge "sponsor cards" going around in recent years...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Did they come around saying they were robbed?

All clubs and societies need money to survive. Some do bag-packs, sponsored events & a myriad of other things. Just because the Boxing Club are fund raising does not mean a scam.

I suppose so. I just hadn't heard. And because clubs and societies seem to usually have collections in public areas - supermarkets/ shopping centres/ the street/ church grounds etc etc. I've never had someone call to my door at night time fundraising. Hopefully it was honest. But why a sponsor card? Why not a collection bucket? I wasn't actually sponsoring anything. He just said they were fundraising after some equipment was stolen. I sometimes wonder if the previous names on the card with x amount given, that its a way of getting you to give that amount too. All previous names had given Eur5.

Anyway...just curious...and I did give him money but thought afterwards that I may have been had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm sorry to say it is indeed a scam. From their facebook:
    We wish to inform you no collection of sponsorship is currently sanctioned by the club committee. Please beware of any persons fraudulently collecting money under the clubs name.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clonard-Boxing-Club-Wexford/1525133017749988?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ali22

Just had someone at the door collecting for Wexford Mixed Martial Arts, I wonder if its a similiar scam. I told them, no thanks!!

I'm sorry to say it is indeed a scam. From their facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clonard-Boxing-Club-Wexford/1525133017749988?fref=ts

Dammit! Burned. :mad:

Advertisement