Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing

Options
  • 28-01-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Can somebody help outline the non traditional ways of getting into nursing. My friend may not get enough points for degree but would like to do some level 6/7 or pre nursing course that would help..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP. The standard Nursing qualification is a 4 year honours degree. There are a few ways onto one of these courses.

Mature Student route:
    • Applicants have to be 23 or older before 1st January of the year of entry.
    • They may not need to have the minimum entry requirements
    • Places are allocated based on an assessment test made up of 3 parts:
    Test 1: Verbal Test: This test is designed to measure the ability to understand information in a series of passages.

Test 2: Numerical Test: This test is designed to measure the ability of the candidate to carry out calculations on common day-to-day mathematical problems.

Test 3: Job Simulation Exercises: This exercise attempts to identify your likely response when presented with scenarios typical of what could occur in a job situation. This exercise measures a range of skills and qualities required in the Student Nurse role, ranging from taking care of someone, through to taking responsibility in a situation, In this test you will be required to read through a number of scenarios and then choose which one of a list of possible actions you would do, based on the information presented in the scenario.
    Mature students must apply to the CAO by the 1st of February and to the Public appointments service between the 25th of Feb and the 15th March.

Standard applicants: QQI FETAC

The minimum FETAC entry requirement is a full level 5 award in Nursing Studies, Community & Health Services or Healthcare Support. In all cases, applicants must have achieved distinctions in five modules including;
    • Anatomy and Physiology (5N0749 / D20001)
    • Nursing Theory and Practice (5N4325)
    • Human Growth and Development (5N1279) or Biology (5N2746)

These are just the minimum entry requirements. Most FETAC QQI applicants may have distinctions in more than 5 modules.

Standard Applicants: Leaving Cert route
    As a minimum an applicant must get at least a C3 grade in 2 Honours subjects and passes and ordinary or honours level in at least 4 other subjects. Subjects must include
    • Irish or English
    • Mathematics
    • A Laboratory Science subject (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Physics & Chemistry or Agricultural Science)
    • Three other subjects

These grades will only give you the minimum entry requirements. It wont give you enough points for Nursing. Realistically you would need to be doing more honours subjects to be in with a shot.

Doing a FETAC level 5 course in Nursing studies, Community & Health Services or Healthcare Support can help a mature student prepare for the assessment test so it is worth considering. There are also private training companies that offer short preparatory courses for mature students preparing to sit this test.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

The minimum FETAC entry requirement is a full level 5 award in Nursing Studies, Community & Health Services or Healthcare Support. In all cases, applicants must have achieved distinctions in five modules including;

These are just the minimum entry requirements. Most FETAC QQI applicants may have distinctions in more than 5 modules.

I think this is the route.... Reason is that she isn't a mature student (yet) and she may not get the required points in leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

LFC Murphy wrote: »

I think this is the route.... Reason is that she isn't a mature student (yet) and she may not get the required points in leaving

Its a tough route to go. Most colleges only have a few FETAC places and she really would need to be getting top grades to be in with a chance of getting a FETAC place in Nursing. She can call the colleges she wants to apply for and see what their FETAC points cut-off was for Nursing last year. That would give her something to aim at.

Theres a really good booklet on applying to Nursing done by the Nursing Careers centre. I've attached a copy.
    I've also attached the numbers of FETAC QQI reserved places in the Nursing degrees for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Carolinerach

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Can somebody help outline the non traditional ways of getting into nursing. My friend may not get enough points for degree but would like to do some level 6/7 or pre nursing course that would help..

Thanks

Hi
    If your friend is under 23 if she does the fetac nursing studies course the only route is Wales universities and maybe England as I was going to do this course in BIFE in co wicklow and had meeting with course co ordinator and she told me this getting a fetac place in Ireland is near impossible as there are so little places

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rowntree..

Can anyone tell me what the hours are like for nursing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 cazrach

Rowntree.. wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the hours are like for nursing.
    Mostly it is 12 hour shifts on a 24hour cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mayogirl2

Hi all..can anyone help please, when you wish to apply as a mature student for nursing but want to be considered under both codes ie mature and also standard for the fetac results. is there an interview for the standard code (based on fetac awards)? also can a mature student just apply for the standard code only based on fetac results only? On the CAO form does it matter which code you put first ie mature code oe standard code ? sorry all the questions..TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mayogirl2

Or can a mature student apply as standard code for nursing only?....do you still have to use the mature code to do this? TIA

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

If you're applying as a mature student and with FETAC, you need to include both codes. Your chances of getting a place are much higher with the mature entrance exam than with FETAC. There is no interview when applying with FETAC under the standard codes.

Advertisement