Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower - Button

Options
  • 28-01-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey,

Electric shower (Mira i think), but the start button no longer clicks and locks when you turn the shower on so you need to wedge something in between the switch and shower housing to hold it in the on position.

Is this an easy fix does anyone know?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

First you need to find out the make and model. Mira buttons range from 10 Euro to 60 Euro. If the button goes on on a Mira electric shower (rather than a power shower) you might need to replace the whole flow control valve. Usually the flow control valve leaks slightly. The drip of water then burns out the switch.
    So if you can do it yourself it'll cost 10 to 60 Euro. To get a professional in add another 70 Euro or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

All the button does on standard electric showers is switch on the solenoid, and the pump if there is one.

Its not a high load switch.

I think myself that electric showers should have a momentary button and hold on relay setup, especially with all the priority units used these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Thanks for the responses

Just wanted to update this - the shower is a Mira Elite ST (not mains fed)

Any one have an idea/ball park of the cost for a replacement switch for this particular unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

BrianDug wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses

Just wanted to update this - the shower is a Mira Elite ST (not mains fed)

Any one have an idea/ball park of the cost for a replacement switch for this particular unit?

10 euro for the switch itself. Before you order the switch you need to check if the flow control valve is leaking onto the switch. This would be a drip of water with the shower on as you turn the dial from hot topics cold.
    If the flow control valve is leaking you can get one for 50 euro & this part has the on off button as part of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Brilliant - thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Do any showers have a latching relay as an integral safety feature in the event power is disconnected and the shower isn't turned off, you'd think this wouldn't happen but I know of a few situations where power went off or even where people don't use the isolator switch.

cerastes wrote: »
    Do any showers have a latching relay as an integral safety feature in the event power is disconnected and the shower isn't turned off, you'd think this wouldn't happen but I know of a few situations where power went off or even where people don't use the isolator switch.

None of the standard ones seem to. It's something I mentioned a few times that they should have imo.

Very simple to do. Start and stop buttons and relay wired exactly like a dol starter. Relay brings on pump and solenoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Bruthal wrote: »
    None of the standard ones seem to. It's something I mentioned a few times that they should have imo.

Very simple to do. Start and stop buttons and relay wired exactly like a dol starter. Relay brings on pump and solenoid.

The only thing I could think of is, if it was not integral a relay could be fitted inline with the power supply as an option, but that would kind of mean a circuit from the shower would need to control the relay to turn it on too, which would necessitate having a small electrical box to contain this near wherever the shower is.

This seems like an awful lot of hassle that just complicates things where having this feature in the shower unit would solve that.

I came across as I situation recently where i think this was relevant and tripped the power supply rcbo as a precaution, but it was in the back of my mind, had the power come on,so would the shower if it was left powered any issue with the water and there could be a fire,unless there are pressure switches that control operation of the electrics as a safety feature?

I know someone that isists to not use the pull cord isolator at all as they think they'll wear it out prematurely.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    The only thing I could think of is, if it was not integral a relay could be fitted inline with the power supply as an option, but that would kind of mean a circuit from the shower would need to control the relay to turn it on too, which would necessitate having a small electrical box to contain this near wherever the shower is.

This seems like an awful lot of hassle that just complicates things where having this feature in the shower unit would solve that.

I came across as I situation recently where i think this was relevant and tripped the power supply rcbo as a precaution, but it was in the back of my mind, had the power come on,so would the shower if it was left powered any issue with the water and there could be a fire,unless there are pressure switches that control operation of the electrics as a safety feature?
    All that's needed is a relay to switch the solenoid valve and pump. And the relay is controlled by A start and stop button on the shower. Start button has normally open contact from relay in parallel with it. Press start to start pump and turn solenoid on. Press stop to switch relay off. Loss of power and shower will stay off when power returns.

Showers have pressure switch so elements wont come on if too little or no water.
    I know someone that isists to not use the pull cord isolator at all as they think they'll wear it out prematurely.

I'd agree with them. I never switch mine off.

Advertisement