Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing fruit,veg & nuts

Options
  • 28-01-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Looking for advice on growing fruit vegtables and nut trees in wexford? what grows well and is easy maintainence
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hazelnut is fairly easy to grow, but is a shrub rather than a tree. you can pick up cobs or filberts easily enough which will crop well and provide decent sized nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Onions and garlic and peas are pretty fool proof.
    I'm in Dublin but have successfully grown them several years with no issue from pests.
    I would steer clear of anything cabbage related as they get decimated by slugs-kale, broccoli, cauliflower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Aldi have got in from today 3 packs of bare root fruit bushes. Over the next few weeks themselves and liddle usually sell a range of bare root fruit bushes and trees that are a lot cheaper than garden centre prices. What type of fruit you like to eat is worth considering. Growing your own can mean having fruit you can't get in the shops and fruit is usually expensive. In Cork I have good crops of blackcurrant, red currant, raspberry, gooseberry, blue berry, thornless blackberry, apples, pears and strawberry. Bramley apple trees were the largest fruit I have planted and your best crop choice will depend on what space you have available.

Vegetable crops I would recomend would be kale, beetroot, parsnips, chard and little gem lettuce but these will require some protection from slugs. Some fruit also needs to be protected from birds and slugs can be a problem for strawberrys.

Herbs fresh from the garden make great improvement to flavours in the kitchen. Rosemary, sage, parsely, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, chives, basil and coriander are all worth considering. Be carefull planting mint as it spreads and I have also found lemon balm to be a persistent crop.

Maintenance of fruit and some herbs just involves harvesting, ocassional triming or pruning, removing weeds and mulching with some organic manure in the winter. Vegetables need to be planted again each year and generally planting location being rotated from year to year gives better results than cropping the same thing each year. Some crops need good soil preperation to grow well. Potatoes for example give much better crops if you give them lots of organic manure. Not sure how easy maintenance you want your garden but I find fruit and herbs to be less work than vegetables. Enjoy the crops you decide to grow.

Advertisement