Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What good router with 1Gb/s ethernet VOIP and fibre ready?

Options
  • 28-01-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I'm bit tired of poor quality eircom and vodafone routers that I was provided with and looking to upgrade.
    At the moment, my broadband is just regular ADSL with 6Mbit/s speed, but within one year there should be fibre broadband available in my area.

I want to get a router, which will have 1Gbit/s ethernet switch built in, wifi 802.11n or better, VoIP, and be ready to work with my fibre connection when this is upgraded.

I'm not sure though what kind of connection or protocol is this fibre? Does it work the same as ADLS? Are there routerer out there, which are capable to work on both connections (my current ADLS, and one it's upgraded to fibre on fibre)?

Anyone could advice any reasonable router, or what kind of technology is router spec should I look for?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You don't have fibre, it's VDSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Whatever modem you chose will need to be able for vecoring as Eircom use it. Digiweb use these, I've read good reviews on them:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AVM-Fritz-Box-WLAN-7360/dp/B008K2WQF2

Another option if you fancy tinkering is to bridge whatever modem you have and add an ethernet router, check out the thread about the TP Link Archer in the broadband forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057365994

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A Draytek will do ADSL2+ and VDSL2 and thus will work on both systems, but really its far more cost effective to buy your own "Cable Router" like the ASUS above and use the ISP gear as a free modem.

Advertisement