Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N84 Luimnagh realignment (Headford Rd)

Options
  • 28-01-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

See works have started on this (fencing etc).

Bit of detail here.
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/164169
    Construction of approx. 4.5Km of Standard Type 1 Single Carriage and associated works, at Luimnagh, Headford, Co. Galway, Ireland

Estimated cost excluding VAT: 7500000 EUR
    The proposed works will involve construction of approximately 4.5 km of Standard Single Carriageway, typically with 2 x 3.65m carriageway, 2 x 2.5m hard shoulder, and verges of approximately 3.0m. Approximately 3km will comprise predominantly online realignment and widening, 1.5km approximately is new alignment construction.

Works will also entail modification and re-alignment of 3 no. existing local side-road junctions and 2 no. new junctions including numerous access points, domestic and agricultural, with construction of associated roads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

And not before time.
    From that it looks like the contract will not be awarded until 16th April - with completion 18 months from that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KSnee

Does anyone know where the detailed drawing of the realignment and can be viewed? I've had a look online and cant seam to find them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

KSnee wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the detailed drawing of the realignment and can be viewed? I've had a look online and cant seam to find them.

Thanks.

Doesn't appear to be any at present. However from seeing the fencing it's fairly obvious what they are doing for part of it. Starting at Cloghanower Community Centre the road is going to be widened - mostly on the North side until the turning for Mausrevagh where the 'new road section' will cross the field there. Based on the fencing it should reappear at Kilroe (after the 90 degree turn).

The bit that isn't clear is that some fencing finishes here, perpendicular to the road and there seems to be no fencing work as yet done beyond this point towards Kilroe crossroads....

MBSnr wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be any at present. However from seeing the fencing it's fairly obvious what they are doing for part of it. Starting at Cloghanower Community Centre the road is going to be widened - mostly on the North side until the turning for Mausrevagh where the 'new road section' will cross the field there. Based on the fencing it should reappear at Kilroe (after the 90 degree turn).

The bit that isn't clear is that some fencing finishes here, perpendicular to the road and there seems to be no fencing work as yet done beyond this point towards Kilroe crossroads....

That location is where the residents of Luimnagh etc will be driving onto the new section of road - so come out of Luimnagh road, turn right.... turn left where you have pointed out the fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

I saw bits of this the other day. It looks fantastic. Would be nice to see what it looks like on a map though.

They straightened a bit of it between Cloonboo and Headford a number of years ago and got rid of one of the worst turns - I'd seen a few post-accident scenes along it - but it looks like the next worst bit is on the way out.

Now if they could just work out how to run roads over bogs that don't become roller coaster rides after a decade or so the rest of my commute would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

It seems like the realignment will start just before the bends that start before the turn-off for Kilcoona and then it ends just after that awful bend a few kms down the road. It also looks like it will shave a bit off the distance, but I'm not clear how much. Really would be nice if there were maps for all this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great to have this done, one of the worst parts of my daily drive from Mayo to Galway. Wonder would they put a few passing out lanes! :D

^^^
    Eircom lads there this morning putting in poles on the East side of the new fencing so that the existing poles can be removed before work starts.

I notice that the ESB will also have to put in a new pole or two as a few are inside the new road fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Breyno

Does anyone know which contractor has been awarded the main works for this project?

Anyone know when this is actually going to kick off??

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Anyone know when this is actually going to kick off??

No idea - I was hoping it would start in the summer when it's less busy on the roads and light until late. It seems that Eircom have put in some new poles but haven't started the work to move the cables over to them. Also there are two or three ESB poles that need to be moved in the section planned to be widened and also a few that need repositioning in the planned new road section.

Guess that may need to happen before works start fully?

^^^
    Orange info signs in place. Works start 10/8.

I saw some disturbed earth on the Headford side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Flyingsolo

Breyno wrote: »
    Does anyone know which contractor has been awarded the main works for this project?

Think it's Carey , drove by the last day and seen a compound just after the top garage pretty sure it said Carey on the cabin

Flyingsolo wrote: »
    Think it's Carey , drove by the last day and seen a compound just after the top garage pretty sure it said Carey on the cabin

I did hear it's Wills Bros Ltd from Foxford.

ESB have one new pole in place.... At least in the Northern section (where widening is needed). By the looks of it they have about 3 poles to reposition there. There appears to be a load of poles to move in the 'new' Southern section.

Also surprised Eircom haven't started moving the cables on to the new poles they put in months back.

Power Outages planned this week by ESB for pole moving etc.

There were lots of ESB vans on site yesterday afternoon.

Few diggers in selected locations digging trenches. Could be drainage but I think they will be doing something with the water supply to some of the houses. A lot of blue pipe in the compound, so at 'a guess' the existing water supply pipes run close to or under the proposed new widened part of the road in places and they'll have to move/lay new piping. ESB are busy - 3 new poles in place, one with interconnects.

MBSnr wrote: »
    I did hear it's Wills Bros Ltd from Foxford.

could be right, think careys is the hire company for vans and equipment

Stop and go system on the road today for tree clearing and stone wall removal. Tail backs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lilly mae

Tree cutting along the route this wk. The project is now up and running.I wonder will they incorporate the slow lane for walking/ cycling. Its in place from Headford to Cloughanover but overgrown on the Kilroe to Corrandulla section which is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Careys building it and Not Wills.

A friend was working there and said there is no cycle lane just a hard shoulder both sides.

Eircom finally moving the telephone wires from the existing poles in the close walled section to the new ones at the fencing edge. Guess now they'd be able to knock the stone walls and open it out.

They seem to be going well along the Headford side of the job with a lot of the walls down and I seen them placing crushed rock today.

The lane closure is a bit annoying in the morning heading to Galway but I suppose it is required to do the works.

Seen the paver on site today placing the sub base on the Headford side of the job today. Starting to take shape and the new alignment of the new road is getting easier to see now

Seen the tar going down in a section today.

Looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

What's the expected completion date for this stretch?

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Seen the tar going down in a section today.

Looks great

Yeah - I'm surprised at the speed! I thought there'd be a gap while the ground settled. Maybe not as perhaps it's on solid rock...

There are some places they seem to have dug deep down. Perhaps to get to a solid base then back fill with stone and rock?

What's the expected completion date for this stretch?

The tender/contract completion date was for 18 months from Apr '15. They started in late Aug and seem to be flying now, so at this rate there can't be many months left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Sounds promising, would be great if it was finished before the summer.

Advertisement