Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N84 Luimnagh realignment (Headford Rd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

MBSnr wrote: »
    Yeah looks like they are painting a temp while line on the new section. Didn't get a good look but seems to be painted on the East side of the road so maybe leaving the West side for work to be done on the turn off for Luimnagh pier. Also that might leave access to the diagonal cut across the 90 degree turn at end of new section. They'd have to cross the old road there and probably will put in a single line of traffic for it.

At least that's my guess....

New section opening on Tuesday apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

A few of the staff called round the local residents yesterday saying they are opening the new section of road on Tuesday/Wednesday. They are then digging out the new side road at the bad bend near the Kilcoona side road and getting that ready. Then the traffic will be put out back on the old road for a couple of weeks again while the final asphalt layer and lines are put on the new section and then the new section gets opened and stays opened.

The side road at Kilcoona will be reopened at the same time as the mainline and they could have got it open earlier but with the traffic lights where they are they thought it was safer to keep the side road closed and not let the traffic exit out in the middle of the 1 way system. Fair enough I suppose, it probably would have turned a bit messy with people exiting into the middle of oncoming traffic and then slowing the existing N84 down while they reverse and sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

New section open today - looking great.

Drove the new section today as well - Its brilliant. Really well done and the with the new set of lights flowing freely its not really too much of a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I was also very impressed. Might have been the sunny day that helped make it look so good as well ;-)

Certainly highlights the difference between the old and new roads around the county...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

how long does it shorten the journey time?

how long does it shorten the journey time?

Not by much at all really. Without traffic only about a 1 min or so, probably, if even that. It replaces a 1.8Km section with a 90 degree sharp turn and a few bends.

The issue with the existing old road was that if two trucks met at certain bends, they'd have to virtually stop to pass each other, leading to slowing traffic. There's the time saving straight away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I think this one is more about safety than reduced journey times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

spacetweek wrote: »
    I think this one is more about safety than reduced journey times.

It badly needed doing so delighted to see it almost finished. Drove it today and was quite impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

It badly needed doing so delighted to see it almost finished. Drove it today and was quite impressed.

Have to say, driving that stretch of road has made journeys a lot better already and I believe everything is in on time so a job well done. Once it's finished it'll be a breeze from Corrandulla to Headford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Have to say, driving that stretch of road has made journeys a lot better already and I believe everything is in on time so a job well done. Once it's finished it'll be a breeze from Corrandulla to Headford.

When are all the lights disappearing?

yop wrote: »
    When are all the lights disappearing?

Not for a while. The section with the lights at present will go soon as they are putting down layers of asphalt and will open that both ways. But the lights will move to the southern end (at a guess) where they still have the traffic going on the old road around the tight bend.

They'll might take the traffic off at the Luimnagh pier turn and run it down the old road again while they put down a new top surface and fix the tight bend - with lights as it looks like it'll be single lane.

All a guess mind...

^^^
    Those lights were removed last night. So at present there are no traffic lights in use.

Traffic lights at the top of the north section now. My guess was wrong...;)

Traffic lights at the top of the north section now. My guess was wrong...;)

Gone last night again.... I give up :D

I see they have painted a white centre line that runs from the new road up in to the new (Northern end) turn for Luimnagh pier. Guess we'll be put back on the old road soon....

Edit: Traffic lights back at North end. Looks like they might be for a while now as the road there is now only single width.

I see they have painted a white centre line that runs from the new road up in to the new (Northern end) turn for Luimnagh pier. Guess we'll be put back on the old road soon....

Uggghhh, sooner than we thought. Back on that horrible old stretch again :(
    Why is the question? Can't see them doing anything that is forcing us on to that older section.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Uggghhh, sooner than we thought. Back on that horrible old stretch again :(
    Why is the question? Can't see them doing anything that is forcing us on to that older section.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that they would do this. My guess is that it's been done they can put in the cats eyes and line paint the entire new section without traffic issues.

I see they have new speed (covered in black plastic) and junction road signs in place. They have also had the fencing contractors in to fix the broken fencing on the roadside at a few places where machinery has damaged it. Also two roads have had concrete islands poured to separate the traffic at the T-Junction to the main road.

So it's all coming together. Can't quite figure how they are going to tackle the 90 degree turn at the south end. It has quite a height difference they'll have to fix, and I'm not sure how they'll route the traffic, but we'll see soon enough no doubt....

^^^

I was told at the weekend that the entire road will get a final top asphalt layer. There's currently 3 layers laid down already. The fourth will bring the layered depth up to 24cm. It will probably be a slightly lighter colour due to a higher level of sand and small chippings (I guess for grip and durability) in the top coat layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

It kind of seems like things have slowed down lately. There's been some progress on the Headford end, but nothing on the Galway side. But then I can't really see what's going on in the long middle section.

Just wondering, the N84 a bit before Cloonboo and going down to Galway City seems to be getting more and more uneven. They patched a few bits but does anyone know if further works / widening are being considered?

• Advertisement

^^^

Traffic lights gone - road now two way at north section. Seems to be a lot less activity around now. Not one person working on the old south section.

I see they have put the white lines on the new section of road we were driving on a few weeks ago.

Surely not long now until we get back on that section?

Dats_rite wrote: »
    I see they have put the white lines on the new section of road we were driving on a few weeks ago.

Surely not long now until we get back on that section?

Not sure they did put a final top layer down - although I was told they would. Top surface in places isn't as smooth as I expected at the end of the North section. Picky I know but...

They put back down the white line that leads into that section from the old road on the South part. Move back might happen today...

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

Not sure they did put a final top layer down - although I was told they would. Top surface in places isn't as smooth as I expected at the end of the North section. Picky I know but...

They put back down the white line that leads into that section from the old road on the South part. Move back might happen today...

Indeed, it happened about 11am this morning.

WildWater wrote: »

Indeed, it happened about 11am this morning.

Looking forward to driving it tonight so!

Traffic lights now again on to the new South section.

They did actually put down a final top layer before white lining it. I just never noticed them doing it....

Traffic lights now again on to the new South section.

They did actually put down a final top layer before white lining it. I just never noticed them doing it....

Drove it tonight, looks great and drives really well. Night and day difference between the finished new road and old road

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Drove it tonight, looks great and drives really well. Night and day difference between the finished new road and old road

Cycled it this evening - woah!!! Speed!! 😜😁

Great to see the lights gone and flowing traffic again.

We now have what looks like the finished road alignment and it looks great.

Putting down the final tar layer today on the Headford end of the project. Should be wrapped up soon by the looks of it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sometime in August I think.

Advertisement