Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N84 Luimnagh realignment (Headford Rd)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

spacetweek wrote: »
    Sometime in August I think.

Yeah McGraths quarry is shut for 2 wks holidays I heard. So apart from the lads doing the landscaping/edging soil there'll be no work until the week starting 8th Aug at a guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its poor that the road wasn't finished out before they went on holidays. There is some nice surface work done and finished and then you are in chicanes trying to avoid bollards which large trucks are clipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

yop wrote: »
    Its poor that the road wasn't finished out before they went on holidays. There is some nice surface work done and finished and then you are in chicanes trying to avoid bollards which large trucks are clipping!

In fairness there is about 2/3 weeks of tar works to finish. By the sounds of it they are well ahead of schedule according to earlier posts of Feb 2017!

So to say it was poor not to finish the roadworks before their holidays seems a bit harsh. Also I believe Galway Co Co don't like roadworks continuing during race week to avoid further disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Having travelled that road for many decades i consider what I have seen so far of the realignment to be a success.

Congrats to all involved in GCC and the contractors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Some questions for anyone who knows this road well.

1. Do you know going towards Headford, after the Curragh Line the road somewhere took a very sharp left, almost 90 degrees I would say, and you went a few hundred yards in a narrow stretch covered over almost by trees and then a right and after all of that the road was just a wiggle into Headford. If you had to locate that turn for someone what would you say? Is there a townland or something like that which describes it?

2. Is that section of road now gone or what has happened to it at all? Has it been incorporated into the new roadway?

3. Are there any plans for the Curragh Line itself? It is straight as an arrow but bumpy as hell. Can anything be done about it in the long term? Or is the fact that bog lies underneath means it can never be upgraded like what is being done now. After all, we can put a man on the moon (well the Americans can) ... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

bobbyss wrote: »
    Some questions for anyone who knows this road well.

1. Do you know going towards Headford, after the Curragh Line the road somewhere took a very sharp left, almost 90 degrees I would say, and you went a few hundred yards in a narrow stretch covered over almost by trees and then a right and after all of that the road was just a wiggle into Headford. If you had to locate that turn for someone what would you say? Is there a townland or something like that which describes it?

>> https://goo.gl/maps/xLQsSuvtAmu ... 53.426900,-9.038357

2. Is that section of road now gone or what has happened to it at all? Has it been incorporated into the new roadway?

>> the first 200m from Flahetys Cross to the bad bend has been incorporated into the new road, the next section of prob 1km is brand new and then the rest has incorporated the old road

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The stretch you are describing is the one being replaced - it is at Luimnagh.

There are no further plans for this road that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Any update? Is this finished yet? Will be coming home next week, a nice stretch of clean new road would make the journey easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Any update? Is this finished yet? Will be coming home next week, a nice stretch of clean new road would the journey easier.

All done! Fantastic job.

^^^
    They are just doing minor cosmetic stuff now. Tarmac'ing people's driveways on to the road and leveling soil on the verges of these tarmac'd driveways. So apart from picking up the traffic cones at the side and removing the covers on the speed signs, it's effectively all done.

Be nice now if they re-surfaced the 500m stretch immediately South of the new section as it's uneven and the top road dressing has long gone in places...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

Is there any sign of this project being completed, and the speed limits removed? Nobody seems to be paying any heed to the posted speed limit (60kmh), and there doesn't appear to be anyone actively doing any work there, and from what I can see there is very little left to complete

Baldilocks wrote: »
    Is there any sign of this project being completed, and the speed limits removed? Nobody seems to be paying any heed to the posted speed limit (60kmh), and there doesn't appear to be anyone actively doing any work there, and from what I can see there is very little left to complete

Yeah kinda like they've just buggered off and left the last few jobs hanging!

I also like the orange LED sign that flashes a 35Km/h speed limit...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

It really is a fantastic job. Be nice if they picked up the cones and finished the last little bits, but all in all it's made the drive much better.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

lyda wrote: »
    It really is a fantastic job. Be nice if they picked up the cones and finished the last little bits, but all in all it's made the drive much better.

Have to agree, its a pleasure to drive on it, its only a shame it wasn't another 30 or 40km longer! :)

Credit to the contractors involved though.

Realised why there are still traffic cones out on the road and the speed signs are still covered up with technically a 60 kph limit.

They are putting in a crash barrier on the curved sections where there is a drop or embankment. Think they have done two and only one more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lyda

Anyone noticed in the evening that the sun is really blinding on the new curve just where the new intersection that turns off to Luimnagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Anyone noticed in the evening that the sun is really blinding on the new curve just where the new intersection that turns off to Luimnagh?

They should build a giant wall everywhere to stop that. Or you could buy some sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

GDSGR8 wrote: »

They should build a giant wall everywhere to stop that. Or you could buy some sunglasses.

Who would you get to pay for it.....the Mexicans:)

Good to see Google Maps has finally caught up with the new alignment (I did mention it to them ;-)).
    Looks like they possibly used traffic data to draw the new section, as the two new access roads from it are not shown on the map.

anyone know what's happening just south of the new section of road, around Ballinduff > Cregg... hopefully they're resurfacing that bad section of approx. 200m, twould be great

• Advertisement

looks like a tiny section.

yeah, just covered up the worst dips.. better than nothing!

Advertisement