Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donal Crowley Memorial 2015

• 28-01-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭

I have signed up for this cycle (100km), happening on Feb 8th. I am a total green horn to cycling events (I'm more of a runner) but I wanted to have a go at some decent distances on the bike to complement my running.

So I'm looking for some info on this cycle, I have checked the Blarney cycling club website and it's a bit sparse on details.

What's the norm with these, do you need to register on the day even though you paid in advance? Do I show my confirmation email (paypal email) and they give me a number? Sorry, just that the running events are all mainly online registration and they send out the race number in the post so on the day of the event you just make your way to the starting line.

I've only ever been on the bike for about 1 hour max anytime I've been out. Now my fitness isn't a problem, as long as I take it handy I know fitness wise I should be OK but can anyone offer tips for things like dealing with a bloody hard saddle (I have padded shorts, I'm hoping they will save my ass..literally).

I was out on the bike 2 weeks ago and my toes were like little blocks of ice..any tips on how to avoid that if the weather is cold?

I presume since this is a leisure cycle there will be a few stops so is on board nutrition important? Would ye typically pop an energy bar or carb gel into the pocket just in case?

Really looking forward to this, but not sure what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

First post in this Thread will give you lots of answers :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Re the frozen toes, wrap them in some tinfoil in your shoe. I get a decent square of it and fold it in on itself a few times then wrap the toes and into the shoes. Works a treat. You can double sock too. I have been known to double sock, tinfoil, over sock, then over shoe to prevent cold toes! Neoprene overshoes, a cheap pair should keep you nice and toasty too. Don't close your shoes too tight either or you'll end up with numb cold feet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I've done it thrice in the past. It's a complete hammerfest. Balls out form when the pace car pulls off about five km outside Blarney.
    Lots of guys use it for race training. Probably not the best sportif to do if you are unaccustomed to fast paced group riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ROK ON wrote: »
    I've done it thrice in the past. It's a complete hammerfest. Balls out form when the pace car pulls off about five km outside Blarney.
    Lots of guys use it for race training. Probably not the best sportif to do if you are unaccustomed to fast paced group riding.

interesting, they call it a leisure cycle, is that some cycling euphemism for hell on wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Not hell. Can be good fun. But if I was inexperienced then there are better places to go on your first big group ride. If you are out the back after 15 k then what have you but a solo spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

The last 2 yrs they've kept the pace controlled at under 30 kph last yr I had a comfort break at the level crossing at banter and never cough the group back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hammerfest
    No breaks
    Amazing food at the end

If your off the back just grab onto a slower group and spin home with them, last 25km is down hill with good road so you will finish ok. It's a small but punchy sportive, enjoy it, what it's lacking compared to bigger events it makes up for in personality...did I mention the food at the end?

Not hell. Can be good fun. But if I was inexperienced then there are better places to go on your first big group ride. If you are out the back after 15 k then what have you but a solo spin.

luckily I'll be doing it with a friend so I won't be alone...but yes, I presume I will be at the back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

dvntie wrote: »
    The last 2 yrs they've kept the pace controlled at under 30 kph last yr I had a comfort break at the level crossing at banter and never cough the group back

Oh and bring enough food for 100k they tend to have a decent feed at the end not half way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Oh and bring enough food for 100k they tend to have a decent feed at the end not half way

Not many places on the route for picking up grub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

There's a bit of a shop in Dromahane, coffee, small deli etc, but it could be cleaned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭geoff35

Is there any water stops on the route? Thanks.

So I cycled this today, I've never done anything over 20km so I was apprehensive about the distance.

It was a very cold and foggy start but the fog lifted after 20km or so..or perhaps sooner, I can't remember.
    The heat from the sun was short-lived as we went through more fog and it got very cold as a result.

Following advice I took plenty of food and liquids along the route.
    I was really feeling it from 60km-75km as the slow pulls were taking their toll.

The last 15km or so was fun getting nice speed on the bike.
    I finished in 4 hours flat.

I felt the finish was a bit dead, I suppose with running there is always a good buzz at the finish line. We actually thought perhaps we were last and everyone had gone home!
    But we went in and had the grub, Jesus I was starving, lovely hot meal was hugely appreciated.

I'll definitely do another one, loved flying around the quiet roads and my bike behaved :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

geoff35 wrote: »
    Is there any water stops on the route? Thanks.
    Water stops over 100k in Feb? - I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RST

Hi Ho wrote: »

There should be. CI regulations say any sportive over 50k should have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RST

Hi Ho wrote: »

RST wrote:

Thats why i asked...

well there were no water stops today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

RST wrote: »

I wonder what Donal Crowley would make of that :-)

i got around ok without it but i was just wondering...shops on the way anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement