Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Legendary Musician Donovan!

Options
  • 28-01-2015 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

donovan970x250-boards.jpg

We are honoured to have music legend Donovan on the site this week to answer your questions. He is playing Dublin Castle on Saturday - tickets are available here.
    This folk-rock-pop troubadour exploded onto the scene in 1965 and went on to attain legendary status. This is a performer who can truly be regarded as a member of the British rock aristocracy. From folk to psychedelia through pop and back again, Donovan re-shaped the musical landscape with a rare individuality and utterly unique repertoire. His is an enviable back-catalogue that remains as relevant and vibrant today as any contemporary artist’s. Astonishingly, between 1966 and ’69 he racked up a string of eleven top-forty hits in a row. Songs such as ‘Jennifer Juniper’, ‘Mellow Yellow’ and ‘Hurdy Gurdy Man’ have embedded themselves in the popular psyche. It’s actually difficult to imagine them not existing.

We're more than likely going to be getting Donovan to sit down and start on the answers on Friday evening, so please don't worry if you don't see them start to appear as per previous AMA threads here :)Templebar Tradfest is happening this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Donovan, we are the same age and you were part of my teens along with the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel and Bob Dylan. That was 50 years ago, do you still look back to the golden age with nostalgia, how do you remember the 60s?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sharktopus

Hi Donovan - your music has been a big presence in my life - I was introduced to your music at an early age, and have great memories of my mother playing the Universal Soldier album (she is still a massive fan!) - can't wait for the concert!

I've read about all the amazing musicians you have worked with over the years. Is there anyone who stands out.

Also - who plays the opening guitar riff on Barabajacal - its a stunning piece of riffage, puts me in a good mood every time I hear it.

Keep making such great music!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭mosstin

I watched 'Don't Look Back' for the first time last week - superb documentary. How do you look on your own depiction in that? Also, have you had any contact with Dylan in recent years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Donovan, have you seen Zodiac(David fincher - 2007) and if so what did you think of the way Fincher used The Hurdy Gurdy man?
    I cant listen to that song anymore without being freaked out......

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No question, sorry, just a thanks to you for writing Catch the Wind - I busked with that song one summer and it brought me good vibes. (mellow/extended version for the win)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Being ignorant to your work, what should i go and check out right now to start kick off an interest in your music?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

When you first arrived in Cork, how hard did you laugh at the accent?

And serious question: What song, if any, do you wish you'd written, and which song of your own would you be prepared to 'swop' for it?

Also. Thanks for all the ones you did write. They've been the soundtrack to laughter, tears, and everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Donovan, What is your favourite type of cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Does Transcendental Meditation still play a part in your creative process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What is your opinion of the xfactor, the voice and the like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Hi Donovan,

Are you familiar with the Saint Etienne song 'Finisterre' and what is your reaction to the lyric:
    The beard and lipstick scene, so look beyond
    Big brother, gossip culture, so bored of stupidity
    The myth of common sense, I believe in Donovan over Dylan
    In love over cynicism

Kind regards,
    Porsche959

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Might be a silly one, but can you remember the first album you ever bought, or the first concert you ever attended?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hi Donovan
    Question:

Ride one, Kill one, Marry one:

Twink
    Panti Bliss
    Mary Lou McDonald

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

How often to people ask you if you're related to Jason Donovan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hiya Man,

Whats the most difficult chord you ever had to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Do you listen to the music of today and if you do what are your thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Do you find the song-writing process gets more difficult as you get older? Is it harder to come up with a melody that you think "that could work"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Coming back from Japan cost you a huge amount of money (millions? ) but if you hadn't, you would not have met Linda?
    Something very romantic about that, but maybe that's not how it happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

One of my favourite soundtracks is 'Brother Sun, Sister Moon'. Was this a new departure for you and how did you feel about it?

What did you make of the Neil cover of Hurdy Gurdy man - and his Bside song "Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom man" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Did you know timothy leary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mr Donovan, What was it like having Shaun Ryder for a son-in-law?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

When you were young did you ever have another career in mind? Did you always set out to be a singer, or did it just "happen"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Do you remember much of the Devendra Banhart show in Cork? One of the best I've ever been to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

How did the cameo in Futurama come about? And do you think it gained you any new fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hey Donovan, love your work.

To what degree do you think LSD and cannabis influenced you in terms of your music? Do you think you'd have written the same songs the same way if you'd never had those experiences? What are your views on drug use, firstly in terms of how they influence musical creativity, and secondly in general terms?

If you could collaborate with one other song writer/artist/band, from past or present, to put out a jointly written album, who would that be, and why?

Which music genre that has come to the fore in recent times do you find the most interesting?

What's your opinion on music piracy?

What's your favourite song released in the last 5 years?

What changes in the music industry since the 60's do you feel are the best and worst?

If you could piece together a fantasy band, drummer, rhythm guitarist, bassist and singer past or present, who would make up the band?

What do you think of the recent Scottish independence vote? Which way were you hoping it would go and why?

Is there any one artist you know of right now putting out great stuff but that isn't getting the recognition they deserve? Who are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭bigtomm

Mr. Donovan .Pleasure...
    Q. IN your songwriting and life, do you carry much weight Horoscopically?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Hi Donovan,

I remember you mentioned that you taught John Lennon how to play claw guitar, what was he like as a guitar player ?, was he as proficient as George and Paul ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What's your favourite food?
    strobe wrote: »
    Hey Donovan, love your work.

Dude, come on. Do you really need to ask 10 questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Is the intergalactic laxative available at any chemist in our area? (Wesht Limerick)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement