Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To Legendary Musician Donovan!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Is it true you played the devil at a hand of poker, caught him cheating and demanded a duel to the death. In which you quick scoped him.

Walking up to his rancid corpse you pulled from his pocket the song "Season Of The Witch".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Hi Donovan, I was at your gig in Limerick in (about) 1989. It was a really memorable gig, Mellow Yellow was the audience's favourite. Thank you.for that great night.
    I remember that you had the biggest acoustic guitar I have ever seen, great sound too. what was it? And are you still playing it?
    Many thanks, and enjoy your Irish Gigs.
    Dean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Donovan, cast your mind back to the 90's in the car park in Mallow I said to my wife that's your man Donovan over there. She looked over at you and you made funny faces at her, she still didn't have a bulls notion who you were though. Sorry to burst your bubble Donovan she wasn't star struck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is there any piano music/piano player you like?

What do you think of the bazouki as an instrument?

What type of car do you drive?

Anyway, love the music, every song you sing tells a story. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

What are your thoughts on the use of your song Atlantis in Goodfellas (Billy Batts beating/murder scene in the bar)?

Were you consulted prior regarding the use of the song in the film?

Always thought it was a great choice of song for the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Hi Donovan. What do you ask for in the barbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What's your favourite food?

Dude, come on. Do you really need to ask 10 questions?
    Is it poor AMA etiquette or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I've got some answers from Donovan to share with you all. With the Tradfest gig coming and the various other bits and pieces of press he's doing around it, he's given us a quick set of answers to some of the earlier questions and will hopefully be answering the rest later today. So for now, here are the questions and answers we've got so far...
    Donovan wrote:
    > Donovan, we are the same age and you were part of my teens along with the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel and Bob Dylan. That was 50 years ago, do you still look back to the golden age with nostalgia, how do you remember the 60s?

A Rennaisance. Similar to the one around 1500, where ancient art knolwedge and wisdom returned. The Bohemeian Manifesto entered our present Popular Culture due to the opening of the Doors of Perception.

> I've read about all the amazing musicians you have worked with over the years. Is there anyone who stands out.

Danny Thompson the most profound Upright Bass Player on Earth.

> Also - who plays the opening guitar riff on Barabajacal - its a stunning piece of riffage, puts me in a good mood every time I hear it.

Jeff Beck.

> Keep making such great music!

The Muse she has not deserted me. I have a song song coming.

> No question, sorry, just a thanks to you for writing Catch the Wind - I busked with that song one summer and it brought me good vibes. (mellow/extended version for the win)

Have you see my song in the Wind Energy AD on my website? www.donovan.ie

> Being ignorant to your work, what should i go and check out right now to start kick off an interest in your music?

Check out my album Fairytale.

> Donovan, What is your favourite type of cheese?

Goat

> Does Transcendental Meditation still play a part in your creative process?

Absolutely yes. You know why? All the songs rise from deep within.

> What is your opinion of the xfactor, the voice and the like?

I have never watched them.

> Might be a silly one, but can you remember the first album you ever bought, or the first concert you ever attended?

Didnt buy albums singles and EP's in 1960. Buddy Holly. First Live bands I saw were in The Harfield Youth Club, Johnny Kid & The Pirates.

> Do you listen to the music of today and if you do what are your thoughts on it?

Mostly no melody.

> Do you find the song-writing process gets more difficult as you get older? Is it harder to come up with a melody that you think "that could work"?

The muse she has not deserted me.

> Coming back from Japan cost you a huge amount of money (millions? ) but if you hadn't, you would not have met Linda?
    > Something very romantic about that, but maybe that's not how it happened?

It is definitely how it happened.

> One of my favourite soundtracks is 'Brother Sun, Sister Moon'. Was this a new departure for you and how did you feel about it?

Easy as the period of Francis was troubadour days.

> What did you make of the Neil cover of Hurdy Gurdy man - and his Bside song "Hurdy Gurdy Mushroom man"

Parody is the sincerest form of flattery.

> Did you know timothy leary

No.

> Mr Donovan, What was it like having Shaun Ryder for a son-in-law?

I have a beautiful grand-daughter by my daughter Oriole and Shaun.

> When you were young did you ever have another career in mind? Did you always set out to be a singer, or did it just "happen"?

An artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

I remember watching you on Ready Steady Go in the UK around '63? Your guitar had a badge on it that said 'This Machine Kills' if I recall.
    Man, I thought that was so cool (I didn't get the Woody Guthrie reference then) so I went out to find an equally cool sign. All I could get was a bakelite sign in local train carriage....it said 'Not Drinking Water' LOL. That was cool enough for me, so on to the guitar it went.
    My dad wouldn't let me wear my peaked Donovan-type cap, so I'd put it on the window-sill and collect it outside the front door. On with the cap, guitar under arm and harmonica bridle around neck, up to the local recreation ground to sit in the sun and play. 13 years old and full of hopes and dreams. Thank God for the sixties!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Hi Donovan.

You seem like a pretty relaxed and spiritual soul from reading your lyrics.

Do you practice mindfulness or meditation, and if so, do you have any advice for a relative beginner? Also, is there anything inherently wrong about using mindfulness techniques to increase my proficiency as a day trader?

Aongus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Hi Donovan.

Do you practice mindfulness or meditation, and if so, do you have any advice for a relative beginner? Also, is there anything inherently wrong about using mindfulness techniques to increase my proficiency as a day trader?

Aongus.

I think you might be waiting a while for an answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

tony glenn wrote: »
    I remember watching you on Ready Steady Go in the UK around '63? Your guitar had a badge on it that said 'This Machine Kills' if I recall.
    Man, I thought that was so cool (I didn't get the Woody Guthrie reference then) so I went out to find an equally cool sign. All I could get was a bakelite sign in local train carriage....it said 'Not Drinking Water' LOL. That was cool enough for me, so on to the guitar it went.
    My dad wouldn't let me wear my peaked Donovan-type cap, so I'd put it on the window-sill and collect it outside the front door. On with the cap, guitar under arm and harmonica bridle around neck, up to the local recreation ground to sit in the sun and play. 13 years old and full of hopes and dreams. Thank God for the sixties!!!!

I've read this post several times because I enjoyed it so much. It sounds like a wonderful and magical time. I didn't come along until the 70's though:) All hail the music and the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi Donovan.

Aongus.

Transcendental meditation I think. He went to India with the Beetles and others to meditate at the Maharishi ashram.

He is a supporter of the David Lynch Foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm gonna wrap this up here, I was expecting another email with responses, but that doesn't seem to have arrived yet. I'll post it on here when it (hopefully) does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement