Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Workouts of Walter Mitty

• 28-01-2015 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

80kg 6'1"

Started training about 9 months. Doing a lot of superficial workouts. Changing my focus to more starting strength exercises.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Tuesday:

Squats 4*8 (60kg)
    DLs 4*8 (60kg)
    Leg Press 3*8 (90kg)
    R Twists 3*30 (6kg)
    Planks 3*30s

Wed:

DB Bench P 3*8 (27.5kg)
    DB Flyes 3*8 (10kg)
    Tricep Dips 3*8 (BW)
    Incline DB Bench P 3*8 (20kg)
    Rope Pulldown 3*8 (7.5kg)

Thursday:

Wide(ish) grip Pull Ups 1*5, 2*4 (BW)
    Seated Row 3*8 (59Kg)
    Bentover Single DB Row 3*8 (20Kg)
    Bentover BB Row 3*8 (40Kg)
    Hammer Curls 3*8 (12.5Kg)
    Chin Ups 1*5 (BW)
    Lat PDowns 3*8 (59Kg)

Friday:

Squats 4*8 (65kg)
    DLs 4*8 (65kg)
    Leg Press 3*8 (100kg)

A little too much chatting today. Tough using a work gym at lunchtime- sometimes you can get nabbed talking shop!

Sunday

Got slight bit of food poisoning on Friday evening so I felt quite weak (still) on Sunday. Hence the drop on DB Bench.

Incline BB Bench 1*8 (40Kg), 1*8 (42.5Kg), 1*8 (45Kg)
    DB Seated Shoulder Press 3*8 (20Kg)
    DB Bench Press 1*6 (27.5Kg), 2*8 (25Kg)
    DB Flyes 3*8 (10Kg)
    Rear Delt Raise 3*8 (10Kg)
    Front Delt Raise 3*8 (8Kg)

The food poisoning meant I got sick all over my bed, all over the bathroom, all over a massive rug and in two pairs of shoes. Most of this stuff is now just out my back garden. I am hoping it just stops existing soon and I can go on with my life!!
    Shellfish is now a no-go'er for me. At least I wasn't travelling in Peru this time...

• Advertisement

Monday:

Wide(ish) grip Pull Ups 2*6, 1*5 (BW)
    Seated Row 3*8 (59Kg)
    Bentover BB Row 2*8 (40Kg), 2*8 (45Kg)
    Chin Ups 1*5, 1*4 (BW)
    Lat PDowns 3*8 (59Kg)

Tuesday:

Squats 4*8 (70kg)
    DLs 4*8 (70kg)
    Leg Press 3*8 (100kg)

I hurt my lower back. I am so annoyed with myself. Not really sure the cause but most likely watching too many different YouTube videos on DL form. Too many conflicting opinions... Maybe if I took a video of my form I could get the kind people of boards to review it for me.

I think there is a thread for it or even post it in the off topic one and people  who know things will probs comment for ya

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think there is a thread for it or even post it in the off topic one and people  who know things will probs comment for ya

Thanks, now I just have to get over the cringe of recording myself working out.

I doubt my boney, white legs will look too hot on the silver screen...

Thursday

Back sore but getting back some mobility

Flat DB Bench 3*8 (27.5Kg)
    Incline DB Bench 3*8 (20Kg)
    Cable Flyes 3*8 (15Kg)

• Advertisement

Friday:

Wide(ish) grip Pull Ups 2*6, 1*5 (BW)
    Seated Row 3*8 (64Kg)
    Bentover BB Row 3*8 (40Kg)Wide, 3*8 (40Kg)Narrow
    Lat PDowns 3*8 (64Kg)

Saturday:

Squats 4*8 (75kg), 1*8 (80Kg)
    DLs 4*8 (80kg)
    Leg Press 3*8 (90kg)
    Ab Wheel 3*8 (to 30%)

Monday:

One of the lads in the gym stopped me when I was doing my first set of DB Bench. Told me I was pushing with my shoulders and not using my chest effectively. Said I was on one way ticket to a busted shoulder. Told me to go down the weight and keep shoulder blades on bench throughout stoke. Really has hurt my confidence now, felt like bench was something I had nailed. Now I feel like I am probably doing everything wrong...(thanks to him for helping obviously)

Flat DB Bench 1*8 (27.5Kg), 3*8 (22.5Kg)
    Incline DB Bench 3*8 (20Kg)
    Flyes 3*8 (10Kg)

Hopefully there will be less traffic here than on the main forums (embarrassed). Would really appreciate people's critique on my DL and Squat:

http://youtu.be/01obnl94w4o

http://youtu.be/R91ve2CRU84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Monday:

One of the lads in the gym stopped me when I was doing my first set of DB Bench. Told me I was pushing with my shoulders and not using my chest effectively. Said I was on one way ticket to a busted shoulder. Told me to go down the weight and keep shoulder blades on bench throughout stoke. Really has hurt my confidence now, felt like bench was something I had nailed. Now I feel like I am probably doing everything wrong..

It's something a lot of people do. It's a relatively easy technique fix and when you get it right, your benching will get stronger because your shoulders are more stable. Just really consciously work on it through warm ups

Tuesday:

Wide(ish) grip Pull Ups 1*8, 1*7, 1*6 (BW)
    Seated Row 3*8 (62Kg)
    Bentover Single DB Row 3*8 (22.5Kg)
    Bentover BB Row Narrow 3*8 (45Kg)
    Bentover BB Row Wide 3*8 (45Kg)
    Lat PDowns 3*8 (62Kg)

Wednesday:

Squat 3*5 (80Kg), 1*8 (70Kg)
    Deadlift 4*8 (80Kg)
    LegPress 3*8 (90Kg)
    Tricep Dips 3*8 (BW)

Thursday:

Incline BB Bench 1*8 (40Kg), 2*8 (45Kg)
    DB Bench Press 4*8 (25Kg)
    DB Flyes 3*8 (10Kg)
    Front Delt Raise 1*8 (9KG) 2*8 (8Kg)

In life news:
    Booked a holiday to Dubai & South Africa in March/April and told landlord it would be my last month in my house. I am going to move home for a couple of months and save for my bigger life news: Going to Sydney, via some travelling in Asia first(hopefully June)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hopefully there will be less traffic here than on the main forums (embarrassed). Would really appreciate people's critique on my DL and Squat:

It's hard to tell on the squat, but it looks like your aren't reaching parallel in the video. Same with the deadlift video, it's difficult to tell from the angle but it looks like the bar is coming too far away from your body when you're are going down. Also in the bottom position your hips look very high up, maybe try sink them down a bit more.

It's hard to tell on the squat, but it looks like your aren't reaching parallel in the video. Same with the deadlift video, it's difficult to tell from the angle but it looks like the bar is coming too far away from your body when you're are going down. Also in the bottom position your hips look very high up, maybe try sink them down a bit more.

Thanks mate, I agree on all counts. My deadlift motion seems inconsistent and the bar definitely sometimes comes away from my body too far.
    On the descent, i dont think I am sticking my arse out enough which is causing my back to round a tiny bit. Then I need to bend my knees slightly earlier to get my hips down, so I am driving with the legs back up and not doing a good morning exercise.

Cheers for the feedback!!

• Advertisement

Friday:

Wide(ish) grip Pull Ups 6*4 (BW)
    Seated Row 3*8 (62Kg)
    Bentover BB Row Narrow 3*8 (50Kg)
    Bentover BB Row Wide 4*8 (50Kg)
    Lat PDowns 3*8 (62Kg)
    Fully Wide Grip Pull Up 1*3

I am really happy with my consistency going to the gym since my injury at xmas. Really starting to improve I think.

Starting taking creatine before my workouts a couple of weeks ago and I am really noticing the strength increase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You tip forward a little bit at the bottom of the squat, there's some mobility you need to address in your ankles and probably you hips.

Check if you can do pistol squats, this will show if you have proper ankle ROM. You don't quite hit parallel so you need to open up the hips more , maybe pointing you feet out slightly , and focus on pushing you knees out as you squat , so you can sit almost straight down!

Not the worst though!

Saturday:

Nonsense workout. Brought a friend for their first workout, so spent all my time showing them exercises.

Squat 5*5 (80Kg)
    Deadlift 4*8 (80Kg)

On my last rep of my last squat set, I failed. I was locked on my honkers and couldnt move. Had to shout for help, this girl came over and held the bar while I collapsed on the floor. Felt like a total wimp...

papu wrote: »
    You tip forward a little bit at the bottom of the squat, there's some mobility you need to address in your ankles and probably you hips.

Check if you can do pistol squats, this will show if you have proper ankle ROM. You don't quite hit parallel so you need to open up the hips more , maybe pointing you feet out slightly , and focus on pushing you knees out as you squat , so you can sit almost straight down!

Not the worst though!

Tried to do a pistol squat. Absolutely no way I would be able to perform those. Not sure what that means...

Monday:

Wide(ish) grip Pull Ups 5*4 (BW)
    Seated Row 3*8 (62Kg)
    Bentover BB Row Narrow 3*8 (50Kg)
    Bentover BB Row Wide 4*8 (50Kg)
    Lat PDowns 3*8 (62Kg)
    Fully Wide Grip Pull Up 1*1

Tuesday:

Incline BB Bench 3*8 (45Kg)
    DB Bench Press 3*8 (25Kg)
    DB Flyes 3*8 (12.5Kg)
    Front Delt Raise 3*8 (9KG)

DB Incline Press 1*15, 1*12 (20Kg) - just wanted to keep practising firing my chest and not pushing with my shoulders here, not part of my usual routine

Informally handed in my notice in work just before session. Clear mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Tried to do a pistol squat. Absolutely no way I would be able to perform those. Not sure what that means...

Means you need to work on Ankle Mobility! You cant get knees over toes enough to keep your center of mass over your midfoot.
    Look up some Kelly Starrett ankle mobility videos on youtube, great resource .

papu wrote: »
    Means you need to work on Ankle Mobility! You cant get knees over toes enough to keep your center of mass over your midfoot.
    Look up some Kelly Starrett ankle mobility videos on youtube, great resource .

Thanks Papu! I'll check it out

Thursday:

Day off yesterday. Got inoculations in my arm last night so happy it was leg day.

Squat 5*5 (80Kg)
    Deadlift 4*8 (80Kg)
    Leg Press 3*8 (100Kg)
    Hammer Curls 1*8 (12.5Kg), 2*8(15Kg)

Felt strong today, I actually regret not trying to up the weight on DL and Squat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Why don't you try under/over hand grip on your deadlift? Will help as you progress up the weights. And I just noticed your upper back rounds more on the last few reps. Jealous of your travelling plans :)

Advertisement