Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plugin a 4.5 KW appliance onto socket

Options
  • 28-01-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am looking to plug a 4.5KW appliance in one of my room. I guess most socket here in Ireland are 13A so according to formula 13A X 230 = 2.9 KW . Am i right to think the socket won t allow me that load ? Can someone tell me what could be my options please ?
    thanks Eric

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Front242 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking to plug a 4.5KW appliance in one of my room. I guess most socket here in Ireland are 13A so according to formula 13A X 230 = 2.9 KW . Am i right to think the socket won t allow me that load ? Can someone tell me what could be my options please ?
    thanks Eric
    You appliance will have to be supplied from a 32A socket outlet fed from a dedicated 4mmsq or 6mmsq circuit supplying that alone and protected by 25A or 32 MCB / RCBO. Basically a new cable would have to be run from the fuseboard to feed the appliance.
    Using anything less is big trouble. Any harm in asking what your appliance is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Front242

thank you so much for your answer. Could not think of a better response.
    I'd like to plug in a Sauna heater. I still need to check the socket is indeed a 13A but I am afraid it is and need new wiring...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

That heater would probably need a permanent connection ie switch outside th room if there's water or steam involved. 4.5kw. would definitely need more than a 13A socket. If there's a specification plate on the heater have a look. it'll give you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Front242

That heater would probably need a permanent connection ie switch outside th room if there's water or steam involved. 4.5kw. would definitely need more than a 13A socket. If there's a specification plate on the heater have a look. it'll give you more info.

yes. I would need to involve an electrician for the job. Thanks again for your help

Advertisement